Dad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiefblueman

Reaction score
The man that gifted me with a love for motorcycling, that taught me to never give up, that has been there for me as a parent, companion and example of a good though flawed man, has been diagnosed with Lewey Body disease.

Lewey Body disease is a form of dementia that combines the symptoms of Alzheimers and Parkinsons diseases. While not Alzheimers, the same tangles in the brain are found in LBD patients.

As a kid, I would page through Dad's photo album of his life pre - me. I am his oldest son. My favorite pic is my proud 20 year old Dad standing with his new Knucklehead H-D, fish tail pipes and studded leather bags, gleaming in the sun. My Dad was, and still is, a very handsome man. 6 feet and a buck sixty. I wish I could show it to you, you'd understand why there was no way I was going to stay away from motorcycling.

He'd tell me stories of his first bike, a Servi-cycle. Had a small Indian, think he called it a 30-50. Right before he married my mom he scored a spanking new H-D K model. Then came baby, (me) in '54 and it was time for Dad to get his first car. At 22 years of age Dad had to learn how to drive a car! He'd only ever had motorcycles.

Fifteen years later Mom and Dad had to deal with a kid who had saved up some cash from his paper route and odd jobs and wanted his first motorcycle. Mom was dead set against it but Dad told me to be patient - don't give up. One day he said "Come with me, we're going to take a ride". I came home with my first bike, a new Suzuki 90. I only had enough cash for the 50cc but Dad ponied up and we got the 90. I was in heaven and Dad took the heat from Mom.

At 82, Dad has slowed of course, mostly due to this until now undiagnosed disease. To watch this always vigorous man with a charming personality and a "can't sit still while there' something to do" attitude have trouble speaking or moving the way he would like is heartbreaking to say the least. His response to all this is "Well, it's not going to happen all at once so I guess I'll just keep going until it does." I'm 60 now and he's still showing me the way.

When I ride the FJR over to his place he'll ogle it and tell me what a beautiful bike it is. Wistful is a good word. I took him to the International Motorcycle Show earlier this year. He jumped on a KLR and said softly "I bet I could ride this". I almost cried right there.

I'm going to be there for my ol' man. I'm going to try and say all those things that need to be said while he's still here. Eventually his body will be here still, but he won't. The disease, though cruel, has a silver lining. I have the opportunity to give back before he leaves instead of wishing I had after he's gone.

So say a little something for my Dad to who or whatever matters to you. Please say to yourself this guy on the FJR forum was sure lucky to have a Dad like that. I hope you all have somebody in your life like my Dad. Hug that person just a little tighter for me. Say those things now. Don't wait.

I'm truly to sorry to read of your dad's diagnosis. I just lost my mom to a stroke a couple of weeks ago.

It's obvious from your post he was a huge influence on you and also obvious, to me at least, that you've grown up to be the person he would've wanted you to be.

Stay strong and know that the people of this forum will keep you and your dad in our thoughts and prayers.

Always always important to remember that we are because of our parents. Mom or Dad - In their own way, they molded us as best as they could, in the circumstance presented to them at the time. In a world where it has become common to for children to 'blame' parents for their own inabilities or failures, your words are refreshing and full of hope. An example. Thank you for sharing and reminding us that whatever age we ourselves may be, we must do our duty and look after & love those in their fading years, that looked after and looked out for us in our growing years.

Prayers and wishes.

Thanks for sharing your story about your Father. You are definitely a lucky son, and I suspect that he is also a pretty lucky Dad. I'd tell you to be sure to enjoy your time together, but it seems you've already got that part figured out.

Jeeze now... I think I got a little something in my eye.

It is so inspirational to hear of family relationships and love such as yours. You have some great memories that will last the rest of your lifetime. Cherish them long after your father is gone and create new ones with those closest to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful story, Chief. My dad is just like yours. He's 90 now and still running around doing stuff. He lost the love of his life (my mom) in '87. Stayed single for ever until a few years ago when he fell in love with a 75 year old women who loves him the death. They take care of each other and are very happy. He made me the man I am today. When I grow up, I wanna be just like him. My prayers go out to your dad. I hope it will be as painless as the man upstairs will allow. Gods Speed, My Friend... :)

I love it when other guys express how they love their dad they way I loved my dad. Chief, we'll pray for him and send all the good thoughts we can. I'm glad you can give back to him. He sounds like a really cool guy.

On my phone now at my Dad's place helping with his garage sale. I hate texting on this thing! It means a lot to me that you guys care. I've never met you but I feel like I know several of you. Good people on this site. I hope our paths cross someday. It's up to me to make that happen. I'm working on it.

Thank you for reminiscing with us and for sharing your Dad's story with us. My grandfather had Parkinson's and as a teenager and into my very early 20s I watched as that disease slowly ate away at what was a stocky, tough and very active man and the nicest, most principled man I have ever known. A man that I admired and put on a pedestal, and still do more than any other.

I can really relate to what you are going through, and my heart and my thoughts go out to you and your dad. I am glad to hear and admire that both you and your dad are keeping a positive outlook about this and trying to make the best of and the most of the time you have left (I know it breaks my heart to say that last word, it is what I would have wished I could have with my grandfather, but distance and college kept me away quite a bit). Best wishes and big hugs to you both!

This thread lays bare one of my greatest fears, the fear of losing Dad. We have been best friends since I was an infant, we share each other's hobbies, interests and dreams. If I have grown into a decent man it is because of him. I have done my best to follow his example of honesty, integrity, bravery, and kindness. I do my best to raise my son the way Dad raised me. I know I am but a weak shadow of the man my Dad is.

You good people get treated (or tortured) every year with my Ride Report detailing my adventures with Dear Old Dad. I think I use this as a means to chronicle our time together so I will have not only pictures but a vivid reminder of what we felt during our time together. Dad will be 69 this August. While he is still strong as an ox, I am painfully aware that he is on the downhill side of his life. Based on his strength as an old man and my strength as a (somewhat) younger man, we must have climbed two different hills. His downhill and my downhill don't exactly match.

I am so saddened to read of the pain caused by your father's illness. I am so encouraged to read of your resolve to make the most of your time together. I wish you the best and I applaud you for having the courage to lay your soul bare to your friends on this forum.

I hope and pray that when the time comes that Dad is lost to me I will be able to honestly say that I did all I could every chance I had. I will remember how proud I was that my worn out old Dad was still man enough to ride a high performance sport tourer like the FJR to faraway beautiful places. I will remember that his peg feelers were scratched and his tires worn to the edge. I just pray that I don't have to deal with this any time soon.

For now, I will focus on happier times. Times that reflect the spirit of this forum. Times like this:

Chief:

You are so right. If you love him today like you'll lose him tomorrow, you'll never have to complain that hind sight is 20/20. A good lesson for all of us. I'd give just about anything just for a chance to sit down and talk with my dad for 10 minutes. I will forever remember Jan. 6, 2010.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread lays bare one of my greatest fears, the fear of losing Dad. We have been best friends since I was an infant, we share each other's hobbies, interests and dreams. If I have grown into a decent man it is because of him. I have done my best to follow his example of honesty, integrity, bravery, and kindness. I do my best to raise my son the way Dad raised me. I know I am but a weak shadow of the man my Dad is.
You good people get treated (or tortured) every year with my Ride Report detailing my adventures with Dear Old Dad. I think I use this as a means to chronicle our time together so I will have not only pictures but a vivid reminder of what we felt during our time together. Dad will be 69 this August. While he is still strong as an ox, I am painfully aware that he is on the downhill side of his life. Based on his strength as an old man and my strength as a (somewhat) younger man, we must have climbed two different hills. His downhill and my downhill don't exactly match.

I am so saddened to read of the pain caused by your father's illness. I am so encouraged to read of your resolve to make the most of your time together. I wish you the best and I applaud you for having the courage to lay your soul bare to your friends on this forum.

I hope and pray that when the time comes that Dad is lost to me I will be able to honestly say that I did all I could every chance I had. I will remember how proud I was that my worn out old Dad was still man enough to ride a high performance sport tourer like the FJR to faraway beautiful places. I will remember that his peg feelers were scratched and his tires worn to the edge. I just pray that I don't have to deal with this any time soon.

For now, I will focus on happier times. Times that reflect the spirit of this forum. Times like this:

Mr. Redfish Hunter, since I have been a member of this forum I have admired your obvious devotion to your Dad. I always look forward to your posts regarding your adventures with Pop. I'm envious when I read that you wash and maintain the FJR for him. I wish I was having that experience. My Dad lives an hour + away and it has been hard to see him as often as I would like, which would be every day. He gave up his last bike, a Suzuki 1500 twin, in his early 70's. Alas, I was away from motorcycling at the time and was involved in other things. I remember when he rode the big Suzy over to my house with a big grin and a "lookit what I got!" How I wish I had taken the opportunity to get a bike then and ride with Dad, but I was involved in building a '35 Ford hot rod at the time.

Don't get me wrong, we have shared many other memorable times. But an everyday relationship like you have with your is sometimes hard to come by and I am cheered by how much I know you treasure it.

IMHO, there is no IF about whether or not you grew up to be a decent man. I have never met you nor shaken your hand, but I can tell from your posts you are a man of humor and dedication to your family. As for being a weak shadow of the man your Dad is, ask him, I bet he would disagree.

Y'all are lucky. I lost my Dad just after I turned 18. So many things I wish I could share with him - my wife kids first and foremost, the toys too. I loved his story of driving an old Studebaker and "racing" a Thunderbird. The t-bird didn't know he was there while Dad's Studebaker threw a rod...

Life is good, live it well.

I love it when other guys express how they love their dad they way I loved my dad. Chief, we'll pray for him and send all the good thoughts we can. I'm glad you can give back to him. He sounds like a really cool guy.
'Zilla, you would like my Dad a lot. Most that have met him, do. It's good to hear from this side of you.

Today I saw a picture of him, 40 something, standing in his riding suit next to a Vincent HRD. He really was, and is a really cool guy!

Chief:You are so right. If you love him today like you'll lose him tomorrow, you'll never have to complain that hind sight is 20/20. A good lesson for all of us. I'd give just about anything just for a chance to sit down and talk with my dad for 10 minutes. I will forever remember Jan. 6, 2010.

Gary

darksider #44
Gary, this is something I've heard my Dad say about his Dad. I'm going to talk with my Dad until he tells me to knock it off.

Thanks for sharing your story about your Father. You are definitely a lucky son, and I suspect that he is also a pretty lucky Dad. I'd tell you to be sure to enjoy your time together, but it seems you've already got that part figured out.

Jeeze now... I think I got a little something in my eye.
Fred, what a nice thing to say. Thank you, my friend.

Y'all are lucky. I lost my Dad just after I turned 18. So many things I wish I could share with him - my wife kids first and foremost, the toys too. I loved his story of driving an old Studebaker and "racing" a Thunderbird. The t-bird didn't know he was there while Dad's Studebaker threw a rod...
Life is good, live it well.
You're right, I am lucky. I truly am sorry for your loss. My Dad bought a new Olds 442 in '64, I was 10 years old. He used to take me with him to rip around sometimes. Funny, I was with him once when he raced a factory supercharged '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk. Dad waxed him!