Dale Walker's Holeshot 4-2 Header System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderCoach Lar

FJRm'd and dangerous
Reaction score
Has anyone out there installed the Holeshot 4-2 header system? If so, what are your impressions.

I'm thinking about installing one (along with a PCIII). I'm already running with Holeshot slip-ons and love them. I understand the power increase is negligible, however, I've heard the sound is better and.....this is my main attraction....it reduces the amount of heat that's thrown off by the stock cats. Any truth to that?

I understand the power increase is negligible, however, I've heard the sound is better and.....this is my main attraction....it reduces the amount of heat that's thrown off by the stock cats. Any truth to that?
I understand the power increase is measurable, and the heat is definitely reduced, but why not go with the Muzzy system for around 1100 clams with a PCIII?

Again, I have Holeshot cans and love 'em. I also have the PCIII. The Walker header is only 400 clams. What would the advantage be of going with the Muzzy system for 1100??

Last edited by a moderator:
not a Holeshot owner yet, but FWIW...

From the reasearch I've done, it seems that one significant negative (for some) is the volume.

Some also wish for carbon cans.

For me, this is THE system I :dribble: over.

The $ are big, but you also get a fully jet-coated system, which I have not seen elsewhere, and a fully tuned map for the Power Commander.

I also like the low profile on the cans. This probably contributes to the volume.

The only other setup that comes close, for me, is the Muzzy 4-2.

Has anyone out there installed the Holeshot 4-2 header system? If so, what are your impressions.
I'm thinking about installing one (along with a PCIII). I'm already running with Holeshot slip-ons and love them. I understand the power increase is negligible, however, I've heard the sound is better and.....this is my main attraction....it reduces the amount of heat that's thrown off by the stock cats. Any truth to that?
Well I have a complete holeshot system sitting in the truck of my car. ( I drove up to Santa Cruz yesterday and picked it up).

I will be installing it in the next few hours and will let you know how it is when i am done.

Richard

I have had Dales slip ons for quite sometime now as I was one of the first to have them when they first came out. He lives less than an hour from where I live. Then I was again one of the first to have the header installed when it came out. No cats, less heat in slow moving travel, I like the sound though stock quiet is also nice but I like to hear where the engine is at during my rides. With a PC1-III and a custom map i am sitting on 129 hp at the rear wheel and the bike run so sweet through all the rpm ranges. If you are looking for big boost in performance I don't think its worth spending the money. But if you are looking for sound, less heat and a smoother performance ride then this is the ticket. No full system out there is going to give you a measurable hp increase of greater than 10 percent which is almost unnoticible. But you will notice the way the power is delivered with the PCIII and a custom map. My FJR rocks with this combination.

I have one of the originals, been on a year. Also in conjunction with the PCIII, which has been on a couple years. The system is well made, fit perfectly, but to use with oe muffs requires some grinding. The sound is glorious, mellow when desired, howls when the mood strikes, volume control handily located at right hand. Reduction in heat while stopped and in traffic significant, not a factor at speed. Power increase there, but not a good dollar per horse gained ratio, but then, there isn't much else one can add before head/cam/compression come into play, at mucho dinero. No sidestand/centerstand issues. Takes a little adjusting to level muffs correctly, like any band strap hung muff in this regard. Sound is unique, quite different from the oe due to the split in the system vs. a common chamber, sounds like a big blk Chev to be honest, takes a little getting used to. Motor seems a little more TBS sensitive, responds well to perfection. Wally map works well, as does the Dale W supplied header map, I actually made a composite of both, much refined now, with the Wally below 3500, DW above to red, which smoothed low speed ops.

I have one of the originals, been on a year.
Wally map works well, as does the Dale W supplied header map, I actually made a composite of both, much refined now, with the Wally below 3500, DW above to red, which smoothed low speed ops.
Rad & Mike-

What kind of mileage have you been getting with this setup? Mike, how about the full system?

dougc

I have one of the originals, been on a year. Also in conjunction with the PCIII, which has been on a couple years. The system is well made, fit perfectly, but to use with oe muffs requires some grinding. The sound is glorious, mellow when desired, howls when the mood strikes, volume control handily located at right hand. Reduction in heat while stopped and in traffic significant, not a factor at speed. Power increase there, but not a good dollar per horse gained ratio, but then, there isn't much else one can add before head/cam/compression come into play, at mucho dinero. No sidestand/centerstand issues. Takes a little adjusting to level muffs correctly, like any band strap hung muff in this regard. Sound is unique, quite different from the oe due to the split in the system vs. a common chamber, sounds like a big blk Chev to be honest, takes a little getting used to. Motor seems a little more TBS sensitive, responds well to perfection. Wally map works well, as does the Dale W supplied header map, I actually made a composite of both, much refined now, with the Wally below 3500, DW above to red, which smoothed low speed ops.
Thanks, Radman. That's the type of detailed feedback I was looking for. I had read your post from last March on the install and was curious how you felt after running the system for the past year. I appreciate your opinions.

I have one of the originals, been on a year.
Wally map works well, as does the Dale W supplied header map, I actually made a composite of both, much refined now, with the Wally below 3500, DW above to red, which smoothed low speed ops.
Rad & Mike-

What kind of mileage have you been getting with this setup? Mike, how about the full system?

dougc
Mileage, in a word, blows, though I never have gotten the numbers one might see here. I average in the neighborhood of 35-36. But I have a ball achieving those less than stellar numbers. I didn't buy Frank to take on Prius. ;)

I get about 38 in the bay area commute. I run 42-44 on the road super slabbing it. I also have a fuel cell, 11.5 total gallons on board, and if I run to reserve I have made the 450 mile mark when hitting reserve. It has taken on average a 10 per cent dip in gas mileage. Of course if you rip the throttle you can do worse,34-36. Your results may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the full Dale system. The sound is awesome, mileage around 34-36, mainly because I have a heavy throttle hand. The best benefit of the system is the heat reduction. The ceramic coating on the headers moves the heat out the back before the rider even gets a chance to feel it.

dgfella

I have had Dales slip ons for quite sometime now as I was one of the first to have them when they first came out. He lives less than an hour from where I live. Then I was again one of the first to have the header installed when it came out. No cats, less heat in slow moving travel, I like the sound though stock quiet is also nice but I like to hear where the engine is at during my rides. With a PC1-III and a custom map i am sitting on 129 hp at the rear wheel and the bike run so sweet through all the rpm ranges. If you are looking for big boost in performance I don't think its worth spending the money. But if you are looking for sound, less heat and a smoother performance ride then this is the ticket. No full system out there is going to give you a measurable hp increase of greater than 10 percent which is almost unnoticible. But you will notice the way the power is delivered with the PCIII and a custom map. My FJR rocks with this combination.
I also have the full system with the PC111. It rocks. Just like the above post. Less heat etc etc. but I found a little less MPG, but no biggie. :yahoo:

I've also got Dale's header but I used the Staintune cans I already had. Sounds great. Somewhat louder than stock (what wouldn't be...?) but not objectionable at all. The Staintune cans have the option of the restrictors that can be slipped in the outlets to reduce noise further if need be. The Holeshot header is really a work of art. It fits perfectly, all the welds are absolutely perfect and the finish is excellent. Too bad you really cannot see much of it on the FJR but nice to know someone takes the time and workmanship to make a piece like that. One of my main goals with the header was to get rid of the cats as I felt they contributed to the heat problem at low speeds and sitting in traffic. The bike is noticably cooler and much more comfortable in hot weather during low speed operation now with the cats gone. I had zero installation issues with the pipe and the Staintune cans. Everything went together so well I was shocked....pleasantly I might add.

I've also got Dale's header but I used the Staintune cans I already had. Sounds great. Somewhat louder than stock (what wouldn't be...?) but not objectionable at all. The Staintune cans have the option of the restrictors that can be slipped in the outlets to reduce noise further if need be. The Holeshot header is really a work of art. It fits perfectly, all the welds are absolutely perfect and the finish is excellent. Too bad you really cannot see much of it on the FJR but nice to know someone takes the time and workmanship to make a piece like that. One of my main goals with the header was to get rid of the cats as I felt they contributed to the heat problem at low speeds and sitting in traffic. The bike is noticably cooler and much more comfortable in hot weather during low speed operation now with the cats gone. I had zero installation issues with the pipe and the Staintune cans. Everything went together so well I was shocked....pleasantly I might add.
jestal, do you use (or have to use) a PCIII as well, with your setup?