Darn Grips!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
I got the G2 Ergo throttle cam/tube for my '07 AE, and I just can't get the frickin' grip off.

I don't want to stick a screwdriver in there, because I'm afraid I'll screw up the heater elements in the grip. And I don't have an air compressor.

Does anyone have any good ideas, or am I just gonna have to buy new grips and cut the stockers off?

I got the G2 Ergo throttle cam/tube for my '07 AE, and I just can't get the frickin' grip off.
I don't want to stick a screwdriver in there, because I'm afraid I'll screw up the heater elements in the grip. And I don't have an air compressor.

Does anyone have any good ideas, or am I just gonna have to buy new grips and cut the stockers off?

Try going to an office supply store (maybe even wallyworld) and get a can of compressed air used for computer

keyboards and such. It should come with a straw. Stick the end of the straw underniegth the end of the grip

and blow while pulling on the grip. Should work. Watch your wiring!

You'll like the G2 tube. It definitely helps. It's not a total solution but it's a big step in the right direction for the

cost.

Even using an air compressor, I was unable to get the heated grips off the factory throttle tube.

I decided to just go ahead with the thin screwdriver trick, rolling it round between the grip and the tube. If I damaged the heating elements, sure it was going to cost me to replace them, but I opted to take the chance. Fortunately, I managed it without any damage.

Air compressor definitely made reinstalling the heated grips easier though.

When I added the G2 on the AE with factory grips, I used a flat thin solder aid:

pits800.jpg

You could also use a plastic door trim removal tool like this:

h042DM4022-fp.jpg

I did not damage the grip or heater using these, but I also used compressed air to balloon the grip after the glue was broken free.

(I also liked the suggestion of canned air)

I just did this mod yesterday (holy cow what an awesome difference!).

I sprayed window cleaner between the grip and plastic. Worked it down, and had them off in 2 minutes. The window cleaner evaporates damn near instantly after they are separated.

I just installed the G2 Throttle tube on my AE yesterday. Don't worry about using a screw driver. Use a thin long flathead screw driver and insert it about 2 inches and spray a little WD40. Repeat this in three different locations. Now insert the screw driver about 4-5 inches and again spray a little WD40, the grip will come off. If you are wondering if the aluminum G2 tubes impact the performance of the heated grip (e.g. plastic vs. aluminum) well it doesn’t. See the pictures below showing the infra red thermometer reading after the G2 installation.

Left handle on the FJR 1300AE:

fjr1300aefactorylefthanve2.jpg

G2 Throttle with factory heated grip:

fjr1300aeg2throttletubeta8.jpg

Good luck,

Peter