David Cook - aka FJRScrewball

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some digging and found this picture I took of David. I had posted it in the middle of my "Coast to Coast in 48 1/2 hours" thread, but here it is again.

CIMG1469.jpg

David's the guy on the right in the black Daytona Bike Week shirt. Taken 2 months ago, you can see that he has a considerable swelling on the side of his neck. Little did I know that the pain he spoke of in his right shoulder was far more than just normal aches and pains from riding or old age. According to his brother Jim, the cancer had affected the nerves in many of the muscles in that area and they were deteriorating badly. But as we were cranking through the curves coming into Springfield, Mo. that day, he could still ride circles around me. A great rider, and a great guy. That's his brother Dale on the left, and other brother Jim on the right. Dale was the fella we went to visit in Springfield. Jim rode with Dave and me from Florida.

--Funny, I was just rememberin' something he said. I was groaning about how hard it was to keep up with him. We weren't breaking any laws that day, but the speed limits were rather high compared to the corners we were cutting. I can still recall him saying, "Gary, ya gotta get your weight off to the side of the bike a little. Then ya won't have to lean over so far." Sounds like great advice, but it's tricky. Once I slide my butt off the bike a little, it tends to get stuck like that. Too hard to climb back onboard: too much like work.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this, and for the description of a fine man and his legacy.

May I humbly add to the eloquent (and other) condolences by saying that he seems to be an example of which Mark Twain wrote:

"Live so that the preacher won't have to lie at your funeral."

Part of David lives on... well, sort of. I just bought his Givi E55 from his brother Jim and installed it on my FJR. Gone is my puny V46. Really enjoying the extra room in the new one. Looks almost as pretty as it did on Dave's 2010. One things's for sure, it makes me look a lot prettier when I'm riding.

Gary

While I didn't know David, it's always sad to see a good person move on to whatever's next. Godspeed to David. Prayers for peace, acceptance and understanding to his family and friends.

Thank you Gary,... David may the wind be at your back and your seas fair....may we all be inspired by your remarkable courage and example to DO NOW ! ...meters runnin' boys...time for a ride....

bobby

RIP David. Cancer impacts everyone of us directly or indirectly, and your courage battling through is inspirational and touching. May you only know curvy roads with no speed limits.

A thank you is in order here.

I'm going to be meeting with David's brother Jim in a few minutes, we're getting breakfast and heading up to the Triumph Dealer about 15 miles north-a-here. He'll be bringing me David's Chatterbox so I can get it boxed up and mailed out, as Dayven99 on this forum purchased it.

My thanks to the fine fellers on this forum for your kind words and for purchasing some of the items that David owned. The extra $$ will make it a little easier for the family.

Forgive the following as I digress... FWIW, David must have told me 25 times... in conversations we had throughout the course of his battle with cancer, that he believed that God was going to heal him. He really wanted to "Glorify God," as he put it, with his decision. I prayed for him and with him, many times. I wish things would have turned out different. But that's not up to us -- ever. However, if there's one thing I know, I know David's in a better place. He was one of the finest Christians I've ever known, a tribute to what a good man ought to be. We've all known quacks that thought they heard voices talking to them, or religious nuts that had too much zeal and not enough tact... but David was just a down to earth, decent guy that not only went to church on Sundays (many on this forum do the same), but he genuinely tried to live a good life. When it comes to this healing stuff, we can pray and we can hope, but in the end, miraculous healing is not in our hands.

These bodies we're stuck in are fragile. Maybe the proper balance might be that we should pray like everything depended on heaven, and listen to wise medical advice like everything depended on the doctor, and just try to live WISE. Eating right, plenty of good exercise, and (for us guys) riding as safely as we can are all important factors. However, the proper balance just might be: not to depend on any ONE of these things at the expense of ignoring all the others.

--For example, I pray for safety every time I get on my FJR, but I ride with a quality helmet on my head, and my Clearwater Kristas blazing.

Back to my original thought: my thanks to each of you, on behalf of a grateful family, for your kind words. David's Givi E55 now sits on the back of my FJR. Every time I open it, I remember. I remember a good man, a safe and experienced rider, a gifted mechanic and electrician, and a great friend.

Until we meet again my friend...

Gary

Gary, Thank you for letting us know of Dave's departure. Although I did not know him, I and our fellow riders offer condolences to his Family. RIP Dave.

Sad that he's gone from those who knew and loved him. Glad that he suffers no more. After hearing the description of him, I would liked to have met him. Especially since I live in the same home town. My loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.