Death ...on the road to Duvall... we live; assailant not so much

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Did you ever have one of those rides when you just knew something was going to not be normal?

Today's ride started off on a whim posted only 2 days ago. I was pleased that both Ahchui and Stephen opted to ride today. By days end, my opinion of Stephen had been elevated to that of Rider/God based on his racing, attitude and local back road knowledge.

So, from the beginning, the day looked something like this, to summarize:

1 - up early

2 - left on time

3 - met Ahchui (Marcus)

4 - left on time from Redmond, WA

5 - took a wrong turn

6 - got on the right road

7 - should have went left when we went right

8 - ~~Death finds me!!~~

9 - late to next stop

10 - met Stephen (ah... Stephen)

11 - said "Sure" to his ideas

12 - Wow! WOW! WOW! ...the roads this man knows!

13 - late lunch

14 - Stop at Norm & Patricia Eagle's

15 - Oh my! Airplanes... cool!

16 - Gotta get home

So, the day started normally with Marcus meeting myself and my wife at REI in Redmond, WA. More or less on time ourselves, I called Marcus to find out where he was. Naturally, he was riding, yet impressively managed to answer his cell phone. Four more minutes and he's there with us. After confirming no one else is coming, we mount up and scoot.

Now, this is where the first error in our plan comes up. Back in the parking lot, Marcus said we'd grab Avondale Rd towards Novelty Hill Rd, then head to Monroe to meet Stephen. I gamely said yes to the plan, and within 1/4 of a mile was scratching my head wondering why Marcus turned right at those lights. His next left simply left me thinking I didn't know this particular route to Avondale Rd. 5 more minutes and we'd swapped spots with me leading, bee-lining to Avondale. We dispatch the 'burbs, soccer moms in SUVs and wannabe golf pros and slide down the twisty back side of Novelty Hill Rd.

Man, you HAVE to pay attention there for about 1/4 of a mile - all downhill (15% grade), tight hairpin turns, steep drops on your right side. Great little stretch of road. I was loving it, enjoying the cool air under the huge trees towering all around us.

Naturally, I hit the bottom of the hill, and immediately sh!t the directional bed by hogging a hard right. Fun ride? Oh, sure. But when you're trying to make time across the valley to Duvall, thence onto Monroe, RIGHT is NOT the direction to turn. On any other day this move would have been uber-cool for the valley-trolling you'd now be enjoying. The twisty bits all kinds of fun, punctuated with sweeping views of a sun-soaked valley on your left.

Today, however, the play should have been to the LEFT, which would have seen us cross the valley in about 5 minutes, instead of closer to 30. I might also have avoided my date with Death had I turned left...

Oddly, it was that incorrect right turn and following drive that gave me a glimpse into what I would later realize was destiny.

Finally cutting left across the valley, I was mildly surprised to see a few small birds in the shadows on the road in front of me. The scattered, some going right, then left and me thinking for sure I was going to crunch one under my tires. No crunches, no bumps, the birds were fine. We kept rolling, all of that drama having played out inside my head, in front of my bike and in less that 2 seconds...

We hit the cross road and haul left for Duvall and then Monroe.

Wafting along a an indicated 45 (coming into Duvall requires slowing down lest you want to donate to the local constabulary), we're in the dappled sunlight broken by the tall trees on the left side of the road. The temps are just right, all is well.

WHAM!

WTF was that?!

Did that just happen?!

I see red... no, I'm replaying the events in my mind... I SAW red...

We're obviously still rolling fine (my wife later asked me why I'd suddenly snapped my head own and left so quickly), so I'm not panicking. Bike is stable, and why shouldn't it be? That f*cking bird glanced off my helmet, so naturally everything else is fine...

Replaying it in my mind, I clearly recall seeing a robin-sized fowl bee-lining for my head and striking me a glancing blow across the top, right side of my helmet. I swear, I saw a small sign slung 'round his neck that said "Goodbye cruel world..." Sure enough, Marcus confirmed seeing feathers and a wobbly avian careening away into the trees after the contact. Blood on my helmet finalized the reality. Stanley Sparrow, obviously despondent at being chased from the nest by Shirley Sparrow decided to end his pain. Enter Duane at 45 mph, stage left, and WHAM!

After that we simply poured on the high-test to get past Duvall and onto Monroe, ASAP. In fact, we arrived at the Monroe Smokestack just in time to see Stephen leaving the parking lot from the other end. Furious horn bleeting ensued, Stephen swung around and we were set. Marcus tawdled off for fuel (light weight) and we were left to plan the day's route. Given I didn't know any of the roads in that area, I just said yes a lot until Marcus returned. :)

Let me just say this at this point...

OMG! Flat out some of the best roads I have EVER ridden. Period. I sincerely hope Marcus got some usable video footage from today, because I dearly want to watch the twisty bits all over again!

We went up to Granite Falls WA, stopped for a quick break and grabbed shots of this old fellow...

2178070680048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Old meets new...

2459882500048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Now, from here I can honestly state that right up until Stephen pointed us towards home, I have not a freakin' clue where I was. I do know we saw some beautiful country today, though, so I'm going to make with the pics, and it'll be light on place names. ;)

Great suspension bridge - this place is a real happenin' joint in the summer - nice beach, great views... imagine the place filled with people...

2960527380048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Marcus doing his part to ensure structural integrity for the next generation...

2131178650048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

What Marcus wrapped the wire around...

2039400310048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

...and I quote, "There are bewbies up to HERE on that beach in the summer!" - wisdom of Stephen...

2981813560048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

The beach...

2786680870048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Our next stop saw us down in the back woods, almost out of asphalt...

2783490790048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Translation: We might shoot you while you sun bathe...

2665818290048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Yep, we've got a signal, so if the local cornhole committee shows, up my wife can call in... ah... FOX news maybe?

2549224750048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Stephen suggests maybe Marcus should NOT pee on his own bike... my wife wisely ignores them both...

2030125740048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

We find Norm and Patricia Eagle at home. (Note Stephen leaves his helmet on so Norm will have a harder time getting his talons into him...)

2130824370048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Norm and Pat don't mind visitors, so long as they use a zoom lens...

2171854700048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Resting for a minute on the way home - shadows getting long...

2345266550048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Last stop on the way home... cool little airfield in Snohomish, WA

2773543730048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

How cute - when it grows up it wants to be a dragonfly!

2565372060048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

2523665800048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Old training plane - very cool rig...

2287638540048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, that's one way to ensure YOUR plane won't get stolen...

2216945810048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

Oldie but a goodie...

2818831070048658291S600x600Q85.jpg

All 59 pics from today are here...

We had a great time today and owe a huge thanks to Stephen for showing us the roads. So much twisty, so much turny, so much FUN!

So there we go... twists, turns, drama, death and vitamin D. All in a day on the back roads of Washington state... :)

:clapping: What a great read! :clapping:

It looks like everyone had a fun time....

...welllll, except a certain bird. B)

I'll just post a few pics to add to Duane's. Again, this was more of a slow, leisurely paced ride... great weather, snowcapped mountains, farm critters, and includes a few sheep... for those of you with more exotic tastes! :weirdsmiley:

Duane pretty much covered it. We'll wait for the Video Doppelganger (Marcus) to post his pics and/or videos. :p

I took the gang to some very out-of-the-way spots, generally not ridden to by motorcycle folks. We passed some pretty cool places including a vast cedar forest that had been cut down many years ago leaving some very big stumps.

The route: We hit some really cool back country twisties between Monroe & Snohomish to Granite Falls, then north on Jordan Road with a short twisty detour on Chappel Road (stopped at Jordan Bridge for a look-see) then east-ish to Trafton, back west to Arlington via Hwy 530, north on Hwy 9, out & about on Grandview Road, then west again towards Stanwood, a detour to Sunday Lake & on to BK for lunch. Then south through the Pioneer Valley via farm access roads, east again to Hwy 9, south on Hwy 9 to Arlington, south-ish via Burn Road, Russell Road, Machias and on into Snohomish.

Note: I went on home to Monroe via High Bridge Road & the Tualco Valley! :good:

One small note: I usually ride during the week so all the traffic sorta through me for a loop. :eh-smiley:

The gang at our first stop in Granite Falls.

SDC11204.jpg

Papa Eagle.

SDC11208.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you guys had fun. Your right about the swinging bridge off Jordan Rd, lots of people floating the river in the summer. I have friends that live about a mile north on the west side. Cool part is that you can ride all the way to the boarder finding cool little roads to ride. Nothing to fast mostly putting roads nothing the Cali boys would like. I have a little 300 mile loop I do that takes ten or twelve hours I'll take ya on if your interested. Glad you guys enjoyed. I'll have to hang with Stephen one of these days it always fun to share roads and learn new spots to go.

See ya in a couple of weeks down at the Tech day.

ok, so the whole state got a little vitamin D without going to the store... that happens like twice every 365 days???

Nice report. Jealous as I was stuck with commitments and didn't get to ride.

See you @ Tech Day. Here's to hoping the weather cooperates and I can ride. Had to trailer last year due to 1 - 3 feet of white powder on the Cascades.

Very nice Ride Report and outstanding photographs, thanks for sharing! Always nice seeing fellow FJR Folks out and about enjoying their bikes. Where was Niehart?

Duane,

Great ride report, I reviewed the video and you were right about where I had my camera mounted. the mirror blocked the line of sight down the road and blocked the rider in front. I need to find a video editing soft ware to edit and wil post

Good pics and report! Marcus, ya know were waiting for that video just to see that bird test Sportsguy's helmet.

It was a awesome day for here in the northwet. I was way south playing with a different set of crazys ..

mumm ... pecan pie ...

Did you ever have one of those rides when you just knew something was going to not be normal?
Sportsguy, with the FJR locals HERE in NorCal, I'm always surpised when something is normal. :blink:

Really enjoyed your report, and especially the unique narrative. Met Stephen in Idaho last year, and

amazingly, I still have respect for you PNWers. :D

IMG_4562-1.jpg

Yes, even this guy. ;)

IMG_5531-1-1-1.jpg

Thanks!

Sportsguy, with the FJR locals HERE in NorCal, I'm always surpised when something is normal. :blink:

Really enjoyed your report, and especially the unique narrative. Met Stephen in Idaho last year, and

amazingly, I still have respect for you PNWers. :D

IMG_4562-1.jpg

Yes, even this guy. ;)

IMG_5531-1-1-1.jpg

Thanks!
OM, photo of Niehart is priceless; spilt my Bushmill's Sunday Communal "wine" on my keyboard! I'm going to have Skooty show me how to use it as my screensaver!