Death Valley 1000 Year Flood

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
Here is a Link for those of you that have ridden the "Death Valley Daze" or other rides into the beautiful Death Valley. They experienced a 1000 year flood like Death Valley has seen in our countries life time. This video was put out by Death Valley National Park. Very Disturbing, especially to those that have experienced this beautiful place. This occurred October 26, 2015!

I don't think you need Facebook to view the video.

https://www.facebook.com/DeathValleyNP/videos/1094230560601225/

I believe the date listed on Death Valley's website is incorrect (typo). I rode my bike up Hwy-95 outside of Las Vegas on my way to Oregon on Monday October 19th 2015 to find them feverishly working to clear NV Hwy-95 all the way from South Hwy-95 at the Hwy-160 interchange all the way to Tonopah, NV due to the extensive flooding the day prior covering the entire distance with deep sand and other debris that came with the severe Flash Flooding. When I rode through, there were many Skip-Loaders, Dump Trucks and other vehicles clearing the road. They had the majority of it cleared, but there was still deep pockets of sand covering parts of the road.

After personally seeing how Hwy-95 had been completely shut down, I would think Death Valley would have sustained its damage over the same period of time.

Thanks for the link. Our news sucks around here, never heard of this.

We were in Scotty's Castle a couple of years ago, looks like it got hammered. Too bad.

Top Speed get your ass out there! It's a once in a millennium chance to go jet-skiing in death valley!!!!!

Yes, the date isn't right. At about 20 seconds in, the vid dates the event Oct. 18. I don't think producing and posting it could have even all been done in a single day. But one of the comments puts it into perspective for me--all the damage was to human construction. "Damage" to the landscape is just part of a long process of change. Very interesting to see though--thanks D.

Last edited by a moderator:
all the damage was to human construction. "Damage" to the landscape is just part of a long process of change. Very interesting to see though--thanks D.
That's kind of what I was thinking the whole way through the video. Sad maybe for the fish if they don't come through it, but nature will do what it does, and will prove that she is more powerful and unstoppable than we are.

Probably not the first time in their evolution that the pupfish saw a flood like this. They will probably survive.

Very interesting to see all the erosion.

Few of us planed a ride to DV in November but has to postpone to perhaps Dec. Last year we rode there on Thanksgiving weekend! Great place to escape the civilization!

ZOUNDS!!!!! We were stationed at Ft Irwin (just south of the valley) once and camped in DV a few times. I spent a great deal of time in the desert and went through a few hard rains. The wadis would become raging torrents. I saw armored vehicles including a tank recovery vehicle carried away.

Yes this was a big flood at the north end of the valley but on Nov. 7th 2004 there was also a big flood where hwy 190 enters the valley by the Furnace Creek Inn that did incredible damage and I believe caused at least one death when a van was washed away. It also washed a concrete restroom down stream.

DV is just an amazing place.