Decisions, Decisions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjammer

Reaction score
Hold on guys...let me put on my armor because I'm probably going to get stonned . Have you ever purchased something, and then realize it's not exactly what you wanted?? Well, I purchased a ZX-14 earlier this year, and as much as I love the bike, there is a spot in between my shoulder blades that starts to burn after about 30 minutes (being midful to relax, no death grip, and installed Genmar Risers). I finally told the wife that I screwed up, and was looking into possibly trading for the FJR....eating Humble Pie.

I sat on FJR the other day, and really liked the sitting position, and the FJR looks very sporty, especially with the bags off.

Local dealer has a new '08 in which they are asking around $11,800. What do you guys think? I wish the U.S. would get the color that Europe offers (Sunset Silver *see link below). That to me is sharp.

So it's either wait and see what Yamaha does in September with the 2011 or go with the '08. I alreay know up front I'm going to take a beating on my ZX-14 with the trade, but at this point, I'd rather make payments on something I'm happy & comfortable with.

Thanks guys

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/products/motorc...amp;subview=360

If you want silver , you can always pick up a 2010...

personally I love the black

Hard to go wrong with the FJR, IMO. As for the price for a two-year-old "new" bike, looks like it was adjusted down a good bit. Not a bad deal, but private-sale bikes are going for a bit less than this one.

If that is the basic selling price, then IMO it is too much for what is essentially a two and a half year old machine, even if hasn't ever been titled. D&H was selling them for $11,900 OTD (but without tax or license) back in 2008!!!

I'd suggest that the price should be considerably less than $11,000 (I've heard of them going for below $10K) plus TTL (Do NOT let them charge freight or setup - it is included in the MSRP and the 'doc fee' is just another way for the the dealer to tell you you're buying him a nice dinner). While you are at it, VISIT THE YAMAHA WEB SITE TO LEARN WHAT PROMOTIONS MAY BE AVAILABLE. I'm in Canukistan and up here they have a $2250 cash rebate on new '08s - then again, they overcharge us horribly to begin with.

And make absolutely certain that the unit wasn't a dealer buy at a regional auction. Many new bikes don't come with factory warranty because of this and the dealers seem to 'forget' to mention it, possibly tossing in a 3rd party or other short warranty - and then, assuming you plan to hang on to the machine you might consider buying the 4 year extension to the warranty, called Y.E.S. for $389.

There is a new owner checklist located on the board, so I won't walk you through the rest of the 'what to look for when picking up your bike' stuff.

In the end, the actual price you pay will also depend on how you dispose of the ZX-14 - as you know, dealers can play games by fiddling with trade-in prices and such.

Note that the 2011's won't actually be delivered until the end of the year or early next year.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a left over new 08AE a few months back for $10,900.00 out the door.

Try to ride a FJR first to make sure you don't have the same or similar issues. It'd be a bad thing to take a bath on the ZX and find out you're not any more comfy on the FJ.

Good luck!

Can you put risers on ZX and still be happy?

edit: Never mind...I just saw that you already have risers on the bike.

Can you put risers on ZX and still be happy?
edit: Never mind...I just saw that you already have risers on the bike.
Hey Wheaton...yeah the Genmars helped, but obviously it's not enough. Ticks me off because the ZX 14 is a really smooth bike. Makes me mad at me because the mind wants to but the body isn't willing!

I did test drive a used '06 and there is a big difference in comfort. It's pretty amazing what a couple of inches will do.

You might want to try a long test ride on an fjr before you do the trade, I had the same problem with my 06 when I 1st got it, a sharp pain right between the shoulder blades after an hour or so. I think it's caused by the angle of the bars. After replacing the top triple with an aftermarket one that rotates the bars forward a few degrees and also raises and brings the bars back about an inch and a half each, I can ride her alllll day....well at least till my bony azz starts hurting.

Do a search for 'Helibars'.

You might want to try a long test ride on an fjr before you do the trade, I had the same problem with my 06 when I 1st got it, a sharp pain right between the shoulder blades after an hour or so. I think it's caused by the angle of the bars. After replacing the top triple with an aftermarket one that rotates the bars forward a few degrees and also raises and brings the bars back about an inch and a half each, I can ride her alllll day....well at least till my bony azz starts hurting.
Do a search for 'Helibars'.
Yeah, I did a google search and it's pretty amazing at how many people (ride or no ride) get that burning right between the shoulder blades. When I'm riding I'll get a little bit of relief if I tilt my head down, but you can't keep your eyes off the road for long. I even invested in a carbon fiber helmet thinking that would help.

I guess because of the configuration of the bars on the ZX, Helibars are not available. Like the Genmars, there are Heilrisers available.

Damn I'd love a zx-14, not sure I could afford the insurance though....I'll trade you my 2003 with 5k miles straight up? haha

...I sat on FJR the other day, and really liked the sitting position, and the FJR looks very sporty, especially with the bags off.

Local dealer has a new '08 in which they are asking around $11,800. What do you guys think?

I'd offer them $11,300 OTD including Yamaha YES warranty coverage. That's paying roughly $2,000 more just because the bike is brand new, instead of very slightly used. Seems fair to me.

You should definitely get a couple hundred miles on an FJR with Helibar triple clamp, before deciding it's the fix for you. Where are you located?

Sometimes it helps to actually rotate the bars toward you, but I don't know if that's possible on a ZX. It is on the FJR if you remove a pin on the underside of each bar mount. I moved mine back 1/2 inch and it made a big difference. I have risers also.

Damn I'd love a zx-14, not sure I could afford the insurance though....I'll trade you my 2003 with 5k miles straight up? haha
I had to do allot of shopping around on the Insurance. I was really disappointed in Geico. I had been with them for 15 years and they were pretty high. Come out better in the end though by going with State Farm.

Benjammer

I had the same problem with my 04 Genmar were on the bike when I bought as the dears owner used it for a short time I then put another riser that brought it up and back no more problems.

rogerfjrfaster :yahoo:

Well, it wasn't meant to be on the '08.....SOLD!! ....ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr........So, for now I think I'll wait and see what happens this September (2011 announced) and maybe Yamaha will start discounting the 2010 model. The ironic thing is that on the way home I met a black FJR coming in the opposite direction. I had my windows down and it sounded pretty sweet.

As for my ZX-14, I've been reading "Master Yoda's Riding Position" :D

Latest posts