Deer Strike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just relieved to read you are ok after that ordeal. Bikes can be replaced, you not so easy.

I went for a short ride Sunday and commuted to work today (on my triumph) and felt a little uneasy. I need to get back into the grove ASAP.

Congrats (on staying upright) and welcome to the deer strike survivors club. How was that adrenaline rush right after you took out Bambi? I'll never forget it myself.

Mine was a front end hit to the deer's hindquarter on my old '05 that took out the headlight, and all of the front tupperware, and somehow bent one of the brake rotors. It also tweaked both of the front forks backwards just a hair so they now have to be installed in the same orientation they were in that day or the steering will pull.

I made a claim on my comprehensive, and that didn't go against my driving record and raise my rates. It was also only a $250 deductible, vs $500 for collision. I let a local shop do the repairs. They were the ones that caught the bent brake rotor but missed the bent forks. Good thing because that may have totaled the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bringing the bike to the shop this week for an estimate. We'll see what they have to say. My guess is that it can be fixed. Other than the exhaust can I'm pretty sure all of the damage is plastic parts. My only concern is the headlight housing may have sustained some damage which I can't see.

Good for you for riding through it. After 10's of thousands of miles, last year I hit a deer in Montana -- first time hitting one ever, bike or car. I got slowed enough it just broke the nose cone in 3 places and I'm still riding with it gorilla-taped together.

It does tend to give you some paranoia. This summer I was cruising about 70 coming into Salmon Idaho and just saw a head pop up right off the road and sure enough another one jumps directly into my path. I still am pretty proud of executing a total all brakes to the max panic brake, hot dry pavement on a straight road and I missed the thing by inches at probably 55. It would have been a lot worse than the first one. A lady in a pickup coming the other way saw the whole thing and gave me a thumbs up as she went by.

I do find myself a little more freaked out now riding where there's underbrush along the roadside. It's a long-shot risk, but it can get in your head.

Last edited by a moderator: