Delkevic - full system?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlefish

Reaction score
Looking at installing the Delkevic full exhaust. Headers + cans to eliminate some weight and get rid of the HOT CC. (Of course, this will be used for closed course, off road racing only)
Is this going to be a waste of time and money? The weight savings is just to make the expenditure more "valid" to me, because shaving 10lbs off a 650lb bike is kinda pointless. I'm saying it's a "good start"
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Being a smartazz maybe but I think leaving the 10 lbs on down low like it is offsets having the battery up high.  Maybe.....

Back when I did some playing around at the race track, this conversation came up often.

The response was always the same - much cheaper for the rider to drop 10 lbs compared to the bike.

Canadian FJR

Trimming 1.55% (10 lbs) off of this type of bike doesn't seem like it would be worth the money to me.  I had a 2007 model that came with Delkevic stainless cans.  The sound was OK, but I could have also enjoyed factory just as well.  For weight savings I would think a set of carbon slip-ons or a 4-1 carbon would save a lot more weight and may then be worth the money.  Again, depending on the reason for weight trimming.  Either is a lot more than a gym membership as suggested above.  That's just me.

Run with the tank half full.

Diet away the 10 lb.  (It wouldn't hurt me, don't know about you)

If 10 lb makes a difference,  you are riding the wrong bike. 

just put a Delkavic on a Blackbird....stock system rusted out....very nice system  at any price... not much point on our porky FJR....I did do the Trooper mod a long time ago to get rid of the motorboat sound tho..

Dunno, w/ a full Delkvic, 'n Ivan's flash, bet you'd gain a few ponies, 'n loose weight. Now you can have that Chili Verde burrito fer lunch. 🤣

Anybody have a set of stock headers laying around they could weigh?   I wanna know if I can have 2 burritos for lunch!

With that said, I'm thinking they actually may help with reducing the top-heaviness of the bike by having all that weight as low as it can go.  Removing them may hurt handling!

Ride report! Did the usual after-work route and the bike didn't need to be pushed hard to turn in to the right and it held the corner better too. I just weighed my stock battery and it was 11 lbs. The LI battery just installed weighs 2 lbs. One has to surmise losing 9 lbs way up high and a foot off the center of gravity would make a difference.

Maybe it just needs to be balanced, left side and right side. I have a 2lb soft weight I can drop in the bottom of the FJR glove box and see if balancing out the LI battery helps even more. Please note, my mottoes are "fix until broke" and "go big or go home". Try these mods only if you laugh at great risk to your financial and physical health...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I think I saw somewhere that someone replaced the battery with lithium and relocated it below the seat.  Reduce weight, put it lower and centered.  Win, win, win.

I just installed some Delkevic 17" Tri Ovals, and sent my ECM to Ivan for one of his tunes. He told me to leave the stock headers on the bike, because the Delkevic headers didn't have a crossover. He said it helps the response at low (under 5000rpms), and that's where the bike is ridden most of the time. I get the ECM back tomorrow, and can't wait to fire it up. I weighed the complete stock system, and it came in at 20 lbs., so unless your racing the bike, you really aren't losing anything by keeping the stock headers. Spend the money on Ivan's tune - https://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300.htm