Devil Magnum Exhaust Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky.88

Reaction score
I inherited a Devil Magnum carbon fiber exhaust system when I purchased my used ’04 FJR last year. The mufflers come with silencer inserts that force much of the exhaust through the baffles. So equipped, it sounds nice; a little more growl than with stock mufflers but not at all loud. Just to have something to compare it with, I removed the inserts and ran with the mufflers wide open for a couple weeks. Definitely has a much more aggressive sound, though not quite obnoxiously loud. Unfortunately running without the silencer inserts also produces a low frequency drone that is a bit much on my head after a while.

So yesterday I decided to try a little modification. I fabricated a couple adapters which allow me to pull the inserts out about ½”. That creates a small gap around much of the outer edge of the insert allowing more of the exhaust to come straight through. The result is more growl and lower tone to the exhaust note but without the heavy low frequency drone. This morning’s commute to work (about 10 miles) is the only riding I’ve done so far with the modification, but I think it sounds pretty good. If I had access to a welder, I could engineer a more elegant solution. Maybe I can talk my old car mechanic into fabricating an adapter for me and welding it to the insert. Regardless, I still may play with it further to make the adapter adjustable so I can move the insert in/out about ½”.

I made a sound clip after the modification (forgot to get a ‘before’ clip) but it really doesn’t do it justice. The clip sounds kinda tinny; you don’t get a feel for the real tone.

DevilExhaustSilencerInsert2.jpg

That's pretty ingenious Sparky. Seems like with your idea you have a sound for all moods. Personally I feel sometimes I want quieter, sometimes louder.

... Personally I feel sometimes I want quieter, sometimes louder.
I agree. There are times when I really enjoy the loud / throaty growl of the Devil's with no silencer insert. But on a daily basis (I commute on my FJR) it's too much. Better is the ability to tailor to my mood / whims with the twist of a 10mm wrench. A poor mans tunable exhaust I suppose.