Did you have the guts to change the spring tension on your throttle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
Over in the technical forum, a few folks have posted that they reduced the tension on their throttle to make it easier on the wrist/elbow. However it seems only 3 people have posted they did it. Before I do mine, I was hoping to hear that more people did it. If you did, please reply with your mileage since, and how it has worked out.

Here is the thread over there:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=12564

thanks

(gutless) Kurt

Over in the technical forum, a few folks have posted that they reduced the tension on their throttle to make it easier on the wrist/elbow. However it seems only 3 people have posted they did it. Before I do mine, I was hoping to hear that more people did it. If you did, please reply with your mileage since, and how it has worked out.
Here is the thread over there:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=12564

thanks

(gutless) Kurt
I did it on both my 05 and the 07, no regrets whatsoever.

One warning, I also did it on Beal's 06. One turn did not make enough diff IMO, so I attempted to do a second turn on the same spring. Big mistake! Wound up (pardon the punn) removing the entire spring because I did not want to risk it flopping around and getting wedged somewhere it did not belong. Was a royal PITA.

Moto... release one turn only as suggested.

Done it, no issues. As long as you don't let the spring unwind more than one revolution you shouldn't have any concerns. Even with a slight bit of extra drag from my Throttlemeister there's no issues with the throttle self closing.

Unwound my '06 middle throttle spring one turn in August of 2006 (6k miles ago). No problems. Easier throttle operation.

About 10k miles on my '07 since I poped the center spring, no regrets.

Released the center spring on my '05 by 1 turn about 20K miles ago... no problems since.

2007 FJR, Middle spring released one turn 8000 miles ago, makes it as it should have been from the start. One turn release make it perfect.

Did on mine 7500 miles ago (06 model). One bit of advice: Mine unwound so fast, that I did not actually see the spring unwind. You may want to check your throttle tension if you are not sure. If you unwind it more than once, it is a huge PITA.

I did my 06 about 33+K ago. One of the best farkles I've done. It was me and a mechanic at Mission Motorsports in Irvine, CA. He was so excited that I had the guts to let him do it (while I watched) and was very jazzed about the good results. One turn off and the bike feel much faster and my wrist says thank you. The mechanic kept my forum print out with photos and was telling the other techs how cool this fix was. I would do it again.

Gunny on an '05 spring release. It was a five minute job from start to finish. Should have done it sooner. As others have said, made the tension like it should have been in the first place.

Did mine as well on the 06 and as mentioned you have to really be watching as you do it or you can't see it unwind. I remember I believe that some took it completely off with no problems. 8000 mi. later and no regrets and have much more feel for the finer throttle manuvers especially in and out of turns. PM. <>< :D

Did it when I first got the bike ('06). Have no problem. When I try a bike that has not had it removed ---It is twice as hard. The throttle slams shut and on long rides I can still move my hand.

Yes; it does turn that hard; on long trips and it is not necessary to be that hard. Also it makes smoother accelleration. Will do it on every FJR I own in the future ---takes no "guts"

Latest posts