differential oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal1

Reaction score
I just had the dealer do the first 600 mile service. I noticed on the service paperwork that they didn't change the differential oil. The manual says to change it at 600 miles. Should I just go ahead and do it or is it really that important.

A) 600 miles is thought to be an initial break-in period and if any loose bits of metal have been knocked off....it's a good time to clean them out. Changing diff oil is a 10 minute job anybody with a 17mm wrench and quart of diff oil can do.

or

B) It's a conspiracy with all the fluid changes and you don't need to change nearly as often as they say.

or

C) Do it or you bike will blow up at 601 miles and the warranty won't cover it.

A) 600 miles is thought to be an initial break-in period and if any loose bits of metal have been knocked off....it's a good time to clean them out. Changing diff oil is a 10 minute job anybody with a 17mm wrench and quart of diff oil can do.

or

B) It's a conspiracy with all the fluid changes and you don't need to change nearly as often as they say.

or

C) Do it or you bike will blow up at 601 miles and the warranty won't cover it.

Thanks! I think I'll change it. :D

Just did my 600 mile service last week. Was really surprised how much gunk was on the magnet on the rear diff drain bolt. Felt good to put in fresh clean oil after seeing that.

I'm doing a ride to Alaska this year and will definitely be changing that again before we leave.