Difficult starting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
This is the 2nd time this has happened to me, but thanks to this forum it was only a minor problem, not the big issue it was the first time.

The last time I rode was mid-October with Squidward, Jeff Ashe, and his Marine friends. The bike has been garaged and the battery hooked up to a Battery Tender ever since....... Well, today is a really lovely day and I pushed the bike out and tried to fire it up......it fired, but quickly loaded up and died. Thanks to this forum, rather than cycle the key on and off, I left the key on and fired up the starter motor with the throttle wide open.....you know, WFO. After a bit of cranking it fired and though obviously very rich I was able to keep it running at around 5000 rpm for the needed several minutes until it "cleared it's throat" and would idle without a problem.

I have to confess that I'm at a loss to explain how this happened? The tank was 1/2 full of regular gas bought here in Western NC so it's not loaded with alcohol or anything that should go bad in this short a period of time. The bike's battery was fully charged so low voltage wasn't an issue! (Based on my past experience I have always attributed poor starting to low battery voltage that likely is poorly interpreted by the ICU?)

However, I wonder....... is there some way that the gasoline can "bleed- down" into the cylinders after the bike sits for an extended period of time on the side stand? Today, when the bike first fired up it was obviously way too rich and at a minimum several plugs were fouled! Today's first attempt at starting was done by punching the "start " button with hands off the throttle.....as I was instructed by the dealer.

This 2003 bike, (you know, "the fast one"), has 31,000 miles on it. I changed plugs this last summer and put Iradiums in it..........nothing but the best for my baby!

This is obviously not the first time this sort of thing has happened and it would be great to get a handle on what's causing it!

Anyone got a suggestion as to the possible cause?

Grumpy Jim

My suggestion.....ride more often!

Actually I don't know but I would try adding some injector cleaner to the next couple of tanks of gas. Maybe they aren't seating properly due to Gunk? Just a WAG, but can't do any harm.

I think today's fuel is terrible and has a very poor shelf life. Also try running mid-grade. It has different chemicals in it.

Some small engine manufacturers recomend mid grade (especially if you are mixing oil) because the cheap stuff has too much of something in it and the high test has too much of something else.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me, but thanks to this forum it was only a minor problem, not the big issue it was the first time.
The last time I rode was mid-October with Squidward, Jeff Ashe, and his Marine friends. The bike has been garaged and the battery hooked up to a Battery Tender ever since....... Well, today is a really lovely day and I pushed the bike out and tried to fire it up......it fired, but quickly loaded up and died. Thanks to this forum, rather than cycle the key on and off, I left the key on and fired up the starter motor with the throttle wide open.....you know, WFO. After a bit of cranking it fired and though obviously very rich I was able to keep it running at around 5000 rpm for the needed several minutes until it "cleared it's throat" and would idle without a problem.

I have to confess that I'm at a loss to explain how this happened? The tank was 1/2 full of regular gas bought here in Western NC so it's not loaded with alcohol or anything that should go bad in this short a period of time. The bike's battery was fully charged so low voltage wasn't an issue! (Based on my past experience I have always attributed poor starting to low battery voltage that likely is poorly interpreted by the ICU?)

However, I wonder....... is there some way that the gasoline can "bleed- down" into the cylinders after the bike sits for an extended period of time on the side stand? Today, when the bike first fired up it was obviously way too rich and at a minimum several plugs were fouled! Today's first attempt at starting was done by punching the "start " button with hands off the throttle.....as I was instructed by the dealer.

This 2003 bike, (you know, "the fast one"), has 31,000 miles on it. I changed plugs this last summer and put Iradiums in it..........nothing but the best for my baby!

This is obviously not the first time this sort of thing has happened and it would be great to get a handle on what's causing it!

Grumpy Jim
Me too a while back. Same fix but would like to know WTF causes it. I'm seeing this same problem more and more on the forum. Rad had a pretty decent theory here a few weeks ago.

Grumpy Jim
Me too a while back. Same fix but would like to know WTF causes it. I'm seeing this same problem more and more on the forum. Rad had a pretty decent theory here a few weeks ago.
Rad's reply in this thread...

Rad's Reply

Rad's likely correct as it was in the upper 30's the day of the last ride and I trailered the bike over to the ride area since it was a couple of hours away. Upon returning to the house I unloaded the bike, fired it up and rode it into the garage. I didn't give it an opportunity to come up to operating temp, so it was parked in a rich condition.......probably the base cause!

jim

Hey Grumpy,

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago. It was after washing the baby and making the 20 foot drive into the garage without allowing for complete warmup.

My battery was oddly low. My garage is heated/cooled and it had only been a few days since I parked her. I suspect there is something that is not getting turned off. Guess I better go read RADs thread.

Jeff