Do Fjr engine last forever?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it use some oil, during hard riding in motorways...I think half a liter in 5000km, is not a lot

Run some Yamaha Ring Free through it. what is?

Check valve clearance if you haven't done so recently. did last year

(Replace cam chain tensioner if you haven't already done so). did last year with the new one

Change plugs if not done recently. have checked they are perfect

Change air filter if not done recently. need to change soon

Check throttle body synch. did last year

Check compression and leakdown (after a thorough Ring Free treatment). never done

Make sure you don't have a dragging brake pad - it would have to be bad if there was a noticeable power loss no is impossible, I heard the sound of pads on rotors only when I brake

Dynamometer testing is really the only objective evaluation of reduced power never done how much it cost?

Ride more - stress less. yes forever

Ring Free is a Yamaha fuel additive that will help remove carbon deposits from rings, valves and combustion chamber.

If the apparent performance loss happened at the time of your valve check or cam chain tensioner replacement, there is a good chance that the valve timing ended out off by one tooth. If that is the case, you will notice a significant loss in performance and problems with idling etc., even though the engine will run without permanent damage. If it is off by two or more teeth on the cam gear, you could have major engine damage but I would expect that the engine would run VERY poorly (or not at all).. It might be worth having this checked!

Edit to add: Just because plugs look OK, it doesn't mean they are. Replace them if they are more than 20,000 km - longer if you are using iridium plugs. The air filter would have to be very bad to cause a loss in power but it is worth checking. Easy check for brakes - ride a short distance, stop using minimal brake, check temperature of the rotors.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it use some oil, during hard riding in motorways...I think half a liter in 5000km, is not a lot Run some Yamaha Ring Free through it. what is? Check valve clearance if you haven't done so recently. did last year (Replace cam chain tensioner if you haven't already done so). did last year with the new one Change plugs if not done recently. have checked they are perfect Change air filter if not done recently. need to change soon Check throttle body synch. did last year Check compression and leakdown (after a thorough Ring Free treatment). never done Make sure you don't have a dragging brake pad - it would have to be bad if there was a noticeable power loss no is impossible, I heard the sound of pads on rotors only when I brake Dynamometer testing is really the only objective evaluation of reduced power never done how much it cost? Ride more - stress less. yes forever
p a r a g r a p h s

yes it use some oil, during hard riding in motorways...I think half a liter in 5000km, is not a lot Run some Yamaha Ring Free through it. what is? Check valve clearance if you haven't done so recently. did last year (Replace cam chain tensioner if you haven't already done so). did last year with the new one Change plugs if not done recently. have checked they are perfect Change air filter if not done recently. need to change soon Check throttle body synch. did last year Check compression and leakdown (after a thorough Ring Free treatment). never done Make sure you don't have a dragging brake pad - it would have to be bad if there was a noticeable power loss no is impossible, I heard the sound of pads on rotors only when I brake Dynamometer testing is really the only objective evaluation of reduced power never done how much it cost? Ride more - stress less. yes forever
p a r a g r a p h s
lele

• Bike: 2001 (Gen I) Euro/Other
I though he was doing better than many US riders/posters :)

Lele,

non ti posso aiutare perche non sono technico. Pero volevo dire ciao. sono maltese ed ho pure Io un FJR. dove sei in Italia?

Ciao Benhur piacere di conoscerti,mai stato a Malta.. abito nella regione Emilia Romagna nella città di Modenaconosci??

p a r a g r a p h s
lele
I though he was doing better than many US riders/posters :)
I make some errors?

Ring Free is a Yamaha fuel additive that will help remove carbon deposits from rings, valves and combustion chamber. If the apparent performance loss happened at the time of your valve check or cam chain tensioner replacement, there is a good chance that the valve timing ended out off by one tooth. If that is the case, you will notice a significant loss in performance and problems with idling etc., even though the engine will run without permanent damage. If it is off by two or more teeth on the cam gear, you could have major engine damage but I would expect that the engine would run VERY poorly (or not at all).. It might be worth having this checked!Edit to add: Just because plugs look OK, it doesn't mean they are. Replace them if they are more than 20,000 km - longer if you are using iridium plugs. The air filter would have to be very bad to cause a loss in power but it is worth checking. Easy check for brakes - ride a short distance, stop using minimal brake, check temperature of the rotors.
I never seen that additive in the local shop

don't worry about the timing, I'm sure it's ok because I checked it several time before close the valve cover

maybe next time i remove the tank I will change the plugs

p a r a g r a p h s
lele

I though he was doing better than many US riders/posters
smile.png
His English is very good. Paragraphs aren't an English invention.

There was an 04 at my local dealer, Champion Motorcycles, that had......278,000 miles on it and was still going strong. The store manager called Yamaha to let them know and they wanted to buy the bike from the owner to break it down. I don't know if that ever happened.

Flash

There was an 04 at my local dealer, Champion Motorcycles, that had......278,000 miles on it and was still going strong. The store manager called Yamaha to let them know and they wanted to buy the bike from the owner to break it down. I don't know if that ever happened.
Flash
How long ago was that Flash??

Flash
How long ago was that Flash??
Hopefully they aren't breaking it down to found out how to make it fail sooner. Hard to sell new bikes when the old ones never quit! (sarcasm intended...)

I hope they last a good long time, 'cos I just bought one with 88 000 miles pre-loved, and it needs to be able to do a whole lot more
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts