do-it-yourself 600-mile sercice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you RaYzerman19, I do have several different oil filter wrenches but it seems only the cup shape will work for the FJR (if the fairing is not removed) because of lack of clearance to the side? I'll probably need to get a thinner cup shape wrench. The one in the picture is adjustable cup shape and it's too thick to fit in there.
Do you need to remove the lower fairing at all?

[img=[URL="https://i.imgur.com/8xCE5BMl.jpg%5D"]https://i.imgur.com/8xCE5BMl.jpg][/URL]
1) Remove the fairing bolt that's just below the oil filter wrench. The fairing is pretty flexible and you'll be able to GENTLY move it out a couple inches. (No, probably not far enough to use your current filter wrench.)

2) Tear off about 4" of aluminum foil and wrap it around the piece of fairing. This will prevent it from getting oil on it when you remove the oil filter. (If you're a cheap bastard like me, you can wipe off the aluminum foil and save it for next time.)

3) Remove oil filter using "appropriate tool".

Reassembly is reverse.

As you probably know, you don't need a wrench to reinstall the filter - lube the gasket, then tighten about 1/4 to 1/2 turn after gasket makes contact. It won't leak and removal next time is easy (see custom Craftsman photo above).

And ignore the torque spec for that drain bolt!

Thank you Sir! Appreciate the info.

I will reach 600 miles in a couple of weeks as it's just daily commute to/from work...(the long trip will be another month)

Have been enjoying every minute I'm on the FJR!

mike-

Last edited by a moderator:
I change the oil and filter and the gear oil the first time today on my '14 A. It has 659 miles.

The oil drain plug was removed with 45 ft.lb and everything was fine. The Yamaha oil filter I got already has a coat of something that looked like silicon grease on the gasket after I removed the wrapper so I did not put any oil on the gasket (see attached pic.) I wonder if all Yamaha oil filter came this way? This is the first time I see a Yamaha oil filter as this is my 1st FJR. Honda motorcycle oil filter did not have any grease on the gasket.

I use 20W50 YamaLube oil. I'll switch to full synthetic on next oil change. Probably Rotella T6 or Mobil-1.

I ordered a quart of this special Yamaha gear oil specifically for 2014 FJR, from boats.net for a total of US$22.59 including shipping. I figure I will use it for now, then I'll switch to Mobil-1. A quart will last 5 gear oil changes as it takes only 0.2 quart.

I threw away the oil drain plug crush washer. I replaced the washer with a flat 14mm copper washer. It's a lot easier to tighten by hand without the need to crush anything. I did reuse the crush washer on the gear oil drain plug and fill plug.

Thank you all!

DR3EVb8l.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: