Double Crossed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mount Rainier

Reaction score
Yesterday’s ride was everything I was hoping for, a positive beginning, rewarding ending and all things allied to endurance and adventure in between.

Route Here

A pre-dawn start in light rain. My first destination was the Astoria Megler Bridge at the mouth of the Columbia connecting WA & OR. That would be my first of the Columbia River Double Crossings. :rolleyes:

PB280417.JPG

I plotted a route that would take me on some previously untraveled roads and test my willingness to trust Google as a planning partner. I am a map and compass guy and don’t even know how to spell GP_, well you get the idea. In fact, I am not even into cameras that much, which will be evidenced by the lack of my own photos and an even greater lack of shame in displaying others photos to embellish the contents of this report. BTW if they want to use mine that's okay also. :eh-smiley: It will be most evident to you which are which.......

The adventure part of the first leg was the ride from Oakville to Brooklyn, WA. It was on this part of the route that I found myself hoping that when the road returned to pavement, say beyond Brooklyn, it would rain a bit harder to wash all the mud off the FJR as this section was unpaved, very remote and well - just plain fun. It’s probably really dusty in the summer as most rally courses are. :clapping: No pics here as I couldn’t find any on line. However, it’s all about the Brooklyn Tavern here and for a good time, visit here and go by on Thursday night. :nyam:

I was not disappointed in the least regarding nature’s cleansing ability. It was 180 miles to the Astoria Megler Bridge. (Pics are from the WA side.) Mine included: (It should be obvious.)

PB280418.JPG

IMG_2649.jpg

image.jpg

astoria.jpg

From the Astoria, OR side

BAR08016_1593.jpg

TheAstoriaMeglarBridge.jpg

Look closely at the ship's name

Astoria-Bridge---2-Aug-2001.jpg

I traveled some very fun OR roads taking the long way to Longview, WA and the second crossing. I also took a little side trip from the planned route to visit Fishhawk Dam near Mist, OR which was one of 2009 OR Dams. (damtour.com) I didn’t take a photo because, well, I did back in May.

fishhawk_9167.jpg

The Lewis and Clark Bridge at Rainier, OR/Longview, WA

6827659.jpg

23353929.jpg
14877587.jpg

mount_st_helens_lewis_clark_bridge_2004.jpg

Mount St Helens upper right.

On the way home from Longview I continued to satisfy my need for a dam fix since we’re between seasons, and stopped here for the first time: Barrier Dam near Salkum, WA & Mossyrock Dam near Mossyrock, WA - Numbers 59 & 60 on the year.

Barrier%20Dam,%20WA.jpg

PB280443.JPG

Fish Ladder

PB280441.JPG

PB280442.JPG

Mossyrock Dam

PB280445.JPG

PB280447.JPG

mossyrock%20dam.jpg

And then, as I was passing through Elbe (don't blink) I found this. “It’s Open - It’s Open.” The proprietor was very gracious in her willingness to accommodate my special request to package up her famous Scale Burgers so that I could transport them home for myself and my wife to enjoy. She pretty much nailed it when she replied “Tired of that darn turkey are ya? “Call home and tell her to put it back in the Fridge. “By the way, would you like fries with that?” She went to great lengths to ensure that all was intact and ready to be devoured upon returning home. :hyper:

PB280448.JPG

Home in better time than expected, even with the side trip. Must have been the expert tire mounting service I was blessed with.

PB280450.JPG

Keep Going!

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome pics. thx!

I love the Astoria Bridge, gives me the willies everytime, like Deception Pass.

...........I wanna go for a wride.....*whine*

Didja ride that lil twisty bit by Long Beach that had fresh pavement a couple summers ago?

awesome pics. thx!

Didja ride that lil twisty bit by Long Beach that had fresh pavement a couple summers ago?
Stuck to 101 into and right back out of Ilwaco on the way to Astoria, so don't think so. Just a fun fun day overall..... I am doing the lower elevation routes that I didn't do earlier this year now that the snow is failing in the mountains. I am discovering an entirely new inventory of great roads.

Keep Going!

awesome pics. thx!

Stuck to 101 into and right back out of Ilwaco on the way to Astoria, so don't think so. Just a fun fun day overall..... I am doing the lower elevation routes that I didn't do earlier this year now that the snow is failing in the mountains. I am discovering an entirely new inventory of great roads.

Keep Going!
Ahhhh, too bad, it's short but it's total yeehaw....

When you get to that T intersection, left to Astoria or right to LB, go right......you end up at the bridge regardless, but there is a stretch along the water there that is a helluva lotta fun, and was totally redone/paved 2 summers ago.

awesome pics. thx!

Keep Going!

When you get to that T intersection, left to Astoria or right to LB, go right......you end up at the bridge regardless, but there is a stretch along the water there that is a helluva lotta fun, and was totally redone/paved 2 summers ago.
Now that it's more clear "Yes Indeed." It's as you say, very Moto friendly, even in the rain. The locals seem to have claimed it for their own driving pleasure as I felt just a little pressed and alot impressed by more than one cage behind me.

Keep Going!

awesome pics. thx!

Keep Going!

I'll second that recommendation. I did it in my truck once, and remembered it when I took the FJR to the Olympic Peninsula last year and again this year.

Nice report bro'. I enjoyed the floating Astoria Bridge as well.

Latest posts