Ear Cannon horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

road runner

Reaction score
I spent the better part of a day trying to figure out where to mount this thing. I want it to be upright so it doesn't collect water, and I wanted it to be where it could be heard the best.

This is what I came up with.

100_0636.jpg

I know it will get wet, and it's blocking part of the radiator. I put the horn outlet in the back facing the right side, and the intake for the horn has a nipple on it which will get a piece of hose and run to a dry local (maybe behind the fork tube down by the fender). As far as the radiator. I think the cooling system on these is so good it can stand a little obstruction in front of the radiator. Time will tell.

I used a piece of aluminum 2" x 4 1/2", bent it to fit, and bolted it to the bottom of the bottom tripple tree, were the plastic sheild is.

Here's the bracket.

100_0626.jpg

100_0630.jpg

Good or bad ? I think I'll try it. See what you think. Any ideas are welcome.

Here's a link to more pics of the bracket and horn. link

EDIT; After checking the clearance to fender I've desided this is not going to work. It had 3.31" clearance, and travel is 5.31" so back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Another Stebel Nautilus private brand. I like your mounting solution. Its a great horn and will get the attention you want. Its has worked great on my cruiser. I'll file this under things to do.

I guess you are aware that the horn and compressor will separate and can be mounted in separate locations? Just need a length of plastic tube to connect them. It can make the decision making process little bit easier.

Don

I guess you are aware that the horn and compressor will separate and can be mounted in separate locations? Just need a length of plastic tube to connect them. It can make the decision making process little bit easier.

Don
I did read that somewhere, and tried to get it apart, but it seemed like the plastic was going to brake. I was afraid to do that, and not be able to go back if needed so I left it alone. That is a good idea though.

Thanks for the input.

Art

Don
I did read that somewhere, and tried to get it apart, but it seemed like the plastic was going to brake. I was afraid to do that, and not be able to go back if needed so I left it alone. That is a good idea though.

Thanks for the input.

Art
There is glue down the middle of the plastic part. I got them apart without breaking by inserting a small flat-tipped screwdriver into the top between the bracket and compressor and giving it a whack with a hammer. It came apart with one hit and didn't break it. Of course as with all things hammer related, YMMV. ;)

item.JPG

item.JPG

Hi Art,

Not sure if these are clear enough but here goes. There are two things you will need to release to separate the compressor from the horn. One is kind of obvious, it's the part that looks like a 'cage'just to the left of the yellow seal ring. The other is not obvious but you might be able to see it from the pics. It is part of the 'air intake' assembly. I didn't see any adhesive on mine.

Don

Regretably, I can't see your pictures here at work due to the firewall. But it sounds like you did a similar install to the one on my FJR: Harald's Horn Install

The key to this install is to make sure the bracket is bent so that the horn is as close to the radiator as possible without actually hitting it. This is needed to stop the horn from hitting the fender under hard braking.

I haven't noticed any harmful effects on radiator cooling and I've had mine installed for a couple years now and have ridden loaded 2 up in hot climates.

I have noticed that I love actually getting a reaction out of cell phone yacking drivers that drift into my lane! :yahoo:

Hi Art,

Not sure if these are clear enough but here goes. There are two things you will need to release to separate the compressor from the horn. One is kind of obvious, it's the part that looks like a 'cage'just to the left of the yellow seal ring. The other is not obvious but you might be able to see it from the pics. It is part of the 'air intake' assembly. I didn't see any adhesive on mine.

Don
Don

Mine is epoxied like Lager Head said, so for now I'm going to try it the way it is.

Thanks

Art

Last edited by a moderator:
Regretably, I can't see your pictures here at work due to the firewall. But it sounds like you did a similar install to the one on my FJR: Harald's Horn Install

The key to this install is to make sure the bracket is bent so that the horn is as close to the radiator as possible without actually hitting it. This is needed to stop the horn from hitting the fender under hard braking.

I haven't noticed any harmful effects on radiator cooling and I've had mine installed for a couple years now and have ridden loaded 2 up in hot climates.

I have noticed that I love actually getting a reaction out of cell phone yacking drivers that drift into my lane! :yahoo:
Harald

Thanks for the info. Nice job on your brkt it looks great.I have to redo my brkt, not enough clearance.

I put my horn (but not the compressor) in the same spot you did, roadrunner. I didn't check the clearance, and after a ride on a very bumpy road, the horn jumped off and into the bushes never to be seen again.

I had a similar arrangement, but as little as the horn gets used, it stopped working.

I guess the long hose made it 'slow' in reacting too.

Horn2.jpg

Have you checked for clearance to the front fender when the forks bottom out?
The travel is 5.31" and I only had 3.31" clearance so I scrapped that idea.

Now I'm working on another bracket.

Thanks for your input.
Hi Art

Found the same when I installed the set of big Volvo horns on mine. I found that with heat, I could create concave areas in the inner fairing and mount the horns to the plastic. They are now slightly outboard of the original mounting locations.

Just be careful with the amount of heat or you'll need to buy new inner fairings.

Bob

Have you checked for clearance to the front fender when the forks bottom out?
The travel is 5.31" and I only had 3.31" clearance so I scrapped that idea.

Now I'm working on another bracket.

Thanks for your input.
Hi Art

Found the same when I installed the set of big Volvo horns on mine. I found that with heat, I could create concave areas in the inner fairing and mount the horns to the plastic. They are now slightly outboard of the original mounting locations.

Just be careful with the amount of heat or you'll need to buy new inner fairings.

Bob
Bob

Good idea, thanks for sharing.

Art