East West Continuum - Bridgeport, Reuben Run, EOM, SFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday, Sept. 8th

September was a whirlwind of gatherings on both coasts… started off with the annual ride to Bridgeport on the Eastern side of the Sierras about 20 miles north of Mono Lake… I had been worried as a new fire had started about 40 miles north of Bridgeport a few days before we were scheduled to head out there… fingers crossed that we wouldn’t get smoked out, off we went over 120 and through Yosemite with, blessedly, had very little traffic now that everyone was back in school and most tourists back home… it turned out to be a gorgeous day, smoke-free, and not a lot of traffic to hinder our progress…

Spirits were high after riding Tesla Rd…

Doing their best Village People impression…

Lunch in Coulterville…

Can you spot the resting biker in this photo?

Tenaya Lake on 120 in Yosemite…

Yosemite view… I never tire of this place…

There is a restaurant onsite at the Settlement and John, John, and Brian were being entertained by the table next door to them…

Day is done, setting sun…

And the popular fire pit where libations were shared, stories were told, and friendships foraged…

Bikes resting peacefully until their owners were ready to take them out again the next day…

Sunday, Sept 9th

Lovely Luscious Lake Loop

Headed out 120 and Benton Crossing Rd and then visited several lakes in the area... the sky was putting on a show with clouds that looked like an artist's paintbrush had put them there... beautiful day spent with some great people!

One of Bugnatr’s very favorite stretches of road… ridden properly, one can catch some air in a few places… definitely a “WHEEEEEEEE” factor road!

Some nice twisty bits too…

And gorgeous views…

The Aussie on Benton Crossing Rd…

Convict Lake…

Mammoth Lakes area…

Silver Lake…

Danger, Will Robinson!

The group banquet for our last night followed by more frivolity by the campfire… I even got folks to stay up until 11PM!!! lol

Monday, Sept 10

A leisurely day ending at Benton Hot Springs for the day/evening… no food out that way so Kendall did a grocery store run and we had salmon and lots of veggies that were cooked by the gents on the onsite bbq… soaked in the tubs, great dinner, then another soak under the stars...

Can we go yet??

We visited Lundy Lake where John said he had spent some time as a kid…

Mono Lake overlook on 395…

Followed by an always well appreciated coffee break…

Coming down the hill just before arriving at Benton HS…

Benton HS is one of my favorite places… quiet, serene, relaxing…

Soaking the tootsies and other body parts…

Our chefs for the evening…

Golden sunlight hitting the mountains as dusk settles in…

Tues/Wed, Sept 11/12

Some great riding coupled with visiting friends makes for the best times… we headed out from Benton HS along 120 and then up 395 toward Doug & Gayle’s house where we would stay that evening…

Passed the fire damaged area along 395… the firefighters busted their butts to get this one under control and quickly!

We stopped off in Carson City to have lunch with Dave/highlander and Diane…

A little bit of roadwork around Lake Tahoe…

View from the top of Donner Lake Rd…

John crossing the bridge on Donner Lake Rd…

A home cooked meal awaited us when we arrived… if you ever are offered the chance to take up Doug and Gayle’s hospitality, do it… I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!

It was the Aussie’s birthday on the 11th and of course we celebrated with pie…

From Doug & Gayle’s, we traversed 49, another favorite, toward our buddy Randy’s house in Clio…

The river runs along 49 for miles and miles…

41827779_10156382299150325_1733548645770330112_n.jpg

Flower sniffing…

Bassett Station along Gold Lakes Rd…

Arriving in the bustling metropolis of Clio…

Chilling on Randy’s back deck…

Randy took us to his favorite tasting place under the trees…

And then treated us to a steak and lobster dinner that was probably one of the best meals we’d had on a road trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fri/Sat/Sun, Sept 14-16

Friday was a quiet day with errands, bike maintenance, and a little rest…

Phil & Charlene tidying up their steed…

Working on Brian’s bike at Ray’s shop… new tires, oil change, brakes bled, etc… he’s been working that bike pretty hard the past few weeks and it was a well deserved spa day…

Saturday we did a great ride over McKenzie Pass, one of my favorites... I love the dichotomy of landscapes... from stark lava beds to lush green forests...

Ray & Patti…

Fall colors starting…

Followed by the banquet dinner, catching up on everyone's antics, and lots of laughter. These things always end too soon…

Doug was excited about being first in line…

The Aussie does love the ladies…

Bikes patiently waiting…

Sunday morning was 36 degrees when I planned to leave so I waited an hour until it was a balmy 44 degrees... a one shot trip home... 550 miles, light traffic, and no smoke... it was nice to be back in my own bed!!

Mon-Fri, Sept. 17-21

Got home from the Reuben Run, had a day to unpack, do laundry, and repack in time to take a flight out to Ohio on Tuesday where my other bike was being cared for by Andy & Susie. Great home cooked meal and catching up before heading for Maggie Valley where the EOM gathering would be starting on Thursday. We were watching “Chopped” on Tuesday evening when this contestant caught our eye… remind you of anyone?? LOL

Not a lot of pictures the first couple of days since we had some ground to cover and it was hot and muggy most of the way. Stayed at Andy's dad's place on Wednesday night and found a stalker in our midst the next morning... Marty had followed Andy's Spot tracker to the house and was sitting on my bike in the garage when we got up... creeper!! lol

Feelin’ the love…

That must be some special kind of water!

There were a bunch of folks who had been displaced from their home because of the recent hurricane and these were our fan club that greeted us each morning at the hotel in Maggie Valley as they watched us get ready to head out for the day’s adventure… the hotel handled everything with aplomb as did all the guests… it was a fun time for everyone!

Brodie did a 50cc to get out to the other coast and was the recipient of a nail in his tire that he was fixing in the parking lot with “assistance” from the peanut gallery…

Friday we did a wonderful ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) and then lunch at the Pisgah Inn with an incredible view of the Blue Ridge Mountains before heading back to the hotel for dinner and catching up with more folks who arrived that day... thanks to Jason for leading the ride at an unusually mellow pace (for him! ;) )... it was a great day!!

Dinner at the hotel restaurant… food was pretty good fare for a hotel!

Andy/bikergeek… he is some kind of speshul…

Meanwhile, out in the parking lot, bromances galore…

And a little FYB twerking… you’re welcome (hey, at least his pants stayed up!)…

Saturday, Sept 22

Had a lovely ride with Andy and Susie up 276 to Looking Glass Falls and then back to Maggie Valley via 215 which is a roller coaster of a road! Very little traffic and a nice cool afternoon. That evening was the big banquet and raffle followed by more frivolity in the parking lot... another wonderful event!!

Looking Glass Falls…

Bikers in the wild…

215…

Dinnertime!

Susie pointing out the Geek’s fashion attire…

And more bromance…

Bob, I don’t think she’s buying it… whatever it is…

Our intrepid rallymaster, Wayne… thanks to you and your team for another wonderful event!

Sun/Mon, Sept 23/24

Sunday, left Maggie Valley and set the GPS for curvy roads as we headed for our friends in WV, Jim & Creta... the roads did not disappoint and had to actually turn off curvy roads so we could make it to our destination before dark... so many amazing roads!!

Churches galore in the south…

New Garden Rd. was a favorite…

Monday was a rainy day so we decided to just hang out, do some laundry, dry out my rain gear that didn't work so well, and visit with our hosts... nice relaxing day!

I found out that my rain gear has been compromised somewhere along the way and didn’t do their job anymore so we hung everything up to dry in front of some fans and that took care of drying stuff out…

Jim & Creta’s dog, Shadow… love that dog!

The road up to the house…

Bikes tucked away to stay dry…

Going for a little walk with Shadow who is true to her name…

The Aussie’s solution to the problem? Use a bigger hammer…

What to do on a rainy afternoon? Sip and chat…

Tues/Wed, Sept 25/26

On Tuesday, we bid our friends goodbye and started the day with a beautiful country road…

Followed by some great roads including Back of the Dragon, Roan Mtn, 197 - a fantastic twisty adventure that had about 5 miles of hard packed dirt in the middle of it…

16/Back of the Dragon

Roan Mountain…

View in one direction…

View in the other direction…

197… I’d highly recommend this one… if you’re not into the 5 miles of hard packed dirt in the middle just turn around and go back… this is one twisty road!

Dirt section on 197

Getting into the fall spirit…

And finally 209 aka The Rattler, before arriving in Little Switzerland for the night.

Was REALLY glad I wasn’t coming around this turn when this big boy was!

Stayed at the Big Lynn Lodge which was a great value... $100 for the room and dinner/ breakfast for two! The view was fogged in when we arrived but cleared up the next morning for some gorgeous views!

View when we arrived…

Views the next morning… that’s more like it!

Wednesday started with 226A aka The Diamondback, and then spent the day making it easy into Tellico Plains where we met up with Rob and Marie for a relaxed evening at the Lodge at Tellico... great place, wonderful hosts, and beloved friends!

Hanging out on the deck…

Last edited by a moderator:
Thurs/Fri, Sept. 27/28

We left Tellico Plains and headed for Alabama first traversing the wonderful 68 through Tennessee…

Rob donning his Teletubby rainsuit…

The roads were wet but the first part of the day we were spared any rain… stopped in Gadsden to have a cup of coffee with Jesse, who sold me my east coast Spyder, and catch up a bit…

Then the heavens opened up and we were deluged for the last two hours or so…

I was soaked when I got to the hotel in Clanton and actually poured water out of my boots! Guess I’ll need to do a little shopping when I get back for new rain gear and boots… utilizing the AC unit to dry stuff out again…

We were given a ride by the tipsy taxi to the ranch in Jemison where were treated to a fantastic chili bar dinner and our first night’s adventure visiting with friends and enjoying the wonderful hospitality of our hosts, Turk and Jana… great start to the weekend!

Rob and Marie getting to meet Pops and What’sHisName…

Turk’s alter ego…

Pants, the Aussie, and a shampoo bottle… what could go wrong?

The Aussie toasting all y’all…

Friday a few of the ladies decided to forego the bikes (my gear was still wet!) and utilize Mike and Wanda's truck for a little sightseeing…

Never seen so many road signs in one place… which way? Thatta way!!

First stop was in Selma where we were schooled on the history of the civil rights movement which was sobering and emotional… we’re taught the reader’s digest version in school but there was so much more that happened… talked with a gent who was working at the interpretive center and he was very insightful into his role of being a black man and hopefully getting people to think about what they learn and even create change… it’s a slow process but we each can be a beacon and inspire others to make change themselves as well… it’s a team effort!

Then I guided the ladies to the mythical town of Spectre, a movie set left over from one of my favorite movies, “Big Fish”… we wandered about and got to pet the goats that wander the island and are very friendly…

Julie enjoying the view…

And Julie making a new friend…

Just a girl and her goat out for a stroll…

From there we hightailed it back to the hotel for a lift to Jemison and an amazing boiled shrimp and sausage dinner… Pants was locked and loaded with not one but TWO shampoo bottles… what could go wrong??

Story time…

Turk giving us a little info and sharing a moment in honor of the friends who are no longer with us physically but definitely still there in spirit…

YUM!!

Julie and the Aussie sharing a moment…

Warm night and no rain makes for good times around the fire pit…

That poor ducky had no idea what was in store…

Sat/Sun/Mon, Sept. 29-Oct 1

Saturday was looking to be a sunny day so we assembled our merry little band for a ride up to Cheaha State Park led by Julie… while I’ve know both her and Craig for several years, this would be the first time I got to actually ride with them so it was kinda special!)… the roads were pretty much empty of any traffic and we took full advantage of it!

Julie and Craig perusing the map with back up from Nate…

Let’s gooooooo… oh wait… let’s wait…

We climbed the tower at Cheaha State Park and took a stroll out to Bald Rock for some amazing views before traversing 281, a really fun road, to the end and then back again before heading back to the hotel.

Stylin’ bikers…

Stairway to heaven? Not quite…

A somber moment…

Walkway out to Bald Rock…

Julie enjoying the view at Bald Rock…

Fall colors were just starting…

Craig on 281…

We had stopped for a break at the end of 281 and came across Redfish and Pops as they were coming up from the woods… I really love this man…

Marie enjoying the moment…

Back at the hotel, Julie presented us with her latest in t-shirt statements… she seems innocent enough but she knows how to help you get rid of a body… ;)

That evening we were treated to a killer bbq dinner and live music under the stars... all the gatherings are special in their own way but this one is one of a kind and is the true definition of Southern hospitality… you are so well taken care of and become one of the “family”! So many thanks to Turk and Jana for putting on such a great event!!

Lots of libations to choose from…

And fantastic bbq!!

Music under the stars…

The shampoo bottle was out in force…

Which may explain this… :lol:

Sunday I brought the bike over to Jemison for storage there (thanks again to Turk!!) and helped clean up a bit and then repacking all my stuff for the flight home before heading over to T&J's other home in Hoover and got to give lots of skritches to their three pups and more bbq leftovers for dinner! Monday was the long flight home and I was pooped... very happy to be back in my own bed but even more happy to have had such a great couple of weeks with my East coast family... looking forward to another visit next year!

FIN

Tyler, thanks for taking the time to share! I know how much time it takes, and we all enjoy your narrative and great photo skills.