EBC Brake Pad Part Numbers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cafn8d

Reaction score
Bottom line up front:

2006+ FJRs

EBC front pads, sintered = part # FA423/4HH (order 2 sets)

EBC rear pads, sintered = part # FA319/2HH (order 1 set)

The story:

I ordered EBC sintered brake pads, front and rear, from KneeDraggers using their online aftermarket parts system. They sent 2 sets of FA417/4HH for the front and 1 set of FA319/2HH for the rear. The FA417/4HH front pads didn't fit my 2006 FJR1300 (too small compared to OEM). I called KneeDraggers and they were less than helpful, suggesting I return the pads for a refund because their system said the FA417s were the correct ones and that's that.

I returned the FA417s to KneeDraggers and ordered the front pads from BikeBandit through their online aftermarket parts system. The pads arrived 2 days later and they were FA417s also! I called BikeBandit and the customer service was head-and-shoulders over KneeDraggers: BikeBandit paid for FedEx return shipping, KneeDraggers made me pay the return postage; BikeBandit gave full refund, KneeDraggers charged 10% restocking fee; BikeBandit was courteous and helpful, KneeDraggers was curt and indifferent.

The BikeBandit reps checked and their system also showed FA417s as the correct part, but they said they'd investigate.

I decided to investigate myself, and went to EBC's website and looked at their online catalog. Their catalog showed FA423/4HH as the correct part number, and they provided outlines of all their pads with dimensions so I could measure the OEM pads to confirm the correct part. I called BikeBandit and gave the EBC part number to the rep. They had the pads on hand and shipped them the next day, and thanked me for pointing out the error in their system.

Lessons learned:

(1) EBC catalog rocks.

(2) Online aftermarket parts ordering systems, based on sample size of 2, appear to return wrong EBC part numbers for 2006+ FJR1300 front brake pads. Also, ordering systems don't show manufacturer part numbers, only the vendor's stock numbers.

(3) Vendor reps use the same system that we access online.

(4) BikeBandit is cool, KneeDraggers is not.

Final note:

The FA417s fit the Kawasaki Concours 14 and a few other sub-par bolt buckets.

Last edited by a moderator:
cafn8d-

can you tell me if you got heat disapaters with the pads? thin steel backing plates with holes for each pad.

had them on my '04 and do not remember putting them on but ran HH pads. my '08 rattles like hell at the pads

and it does not have those "shims".

'08 is too new to need pads but i'll sure as hell buy them to get the shims!

thanks man!!!

The EBCs didn't have backing plates, front or rear. I used the original plates from the OEM pads for the rear brakes. The OEM front brakes didn't have backing plates. Haven't ridden the bike yet but I'll post my experience with the EBCs after I put a few miles on them.

The EBC FA283HH are the same pads, only that the package come with only 2 pads, then you must order 4 units for the FJR. The FA423/4HH come with 4 pads per package then you need only 2 packages.

I never use the rear brake, then I always need just 3 pads set, this is impossible with the FA423/4HH, this is why I prefer to buy 3 sets of FA283HH

Last edited by a moderator:
What ?? The stock USA rear pad is different than the fronts. The rear is black with a shining shim, the fronts are copper colored w/o a shim. The shapes are different from front to back too. I called EBC about reusing the rear stock shim in the back, they said NO !!

I'm using the organic rear EBC pads because they work better than the stock sinitered. Many in the forum have swithed. If EBC offered an organic for the fronts, I would use them, my stock fronts squeak weekly, (and rattle like crazy).