El Cheapo home-made Smuggler?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for the lack of progress postings. I caught something that has left me sick as a dog. Yesterday I made the decision to work it off & spent time in the workshop. Here is what conspired.

I needed to replicate the lower side panels, and set about making this as painless as possible. I didn't want this to turn into a time-sucking magnet and went about it in a manner that would require the least set-up time for the greatest return.

The first pix illustrates my minimum requirements: Quick set up for the part copy. The part to be replicated is trapped in a single layer of polyethylene trash bag. Room has to be left around the bag and the bag should not be stretched too tightly over the part. Resin won't stick to that & the bag won't allow the resin to contaminate my tupperware. The part was surrounded by a wooden curb of 2" wood strips to define the work area. Resist the urge to nail the frame together as this is a non-productive step & will come back to haunt you later. This will become evident later in a few pix.

panel-1_zps169f66f3.jpg

Mix up a small batch of resin measuring carefully the resin & hardener. No need to be wasteful & mix too much! This took about 2 ozs of resin. Paint the plastic covered part, and then lay down a layer of fiberglass cloth over the top. Tease away the major folds & wrinkles with a brush or plastic squeegee. The cloth will become clear once it has become saturated. Add another layer of fiberglass cloth over the top of the last layer & smooth out the folds as before. Epoxy is slippery to work with, it doesn't require a lot of muscle to do this.

panel-3_zpse054bb1a.jpg

Over the top of the sticky stuff an additional layer of plastic is draped over the part and curbing. Clamps are the tools at hand & priceless at this step. Leave some slack in the plastic around the perimeter between the part and the curb, but the plaster overlay should not touch the work area table top.

panel-4_zps4073814a.jpg

It helps to have about 10 lbs of lead shot laying around, and I suppose sand would work as well... pour this over the part. The idea is to stretch the plastic around the part which will squeeze-out the excess resin. Allow about ten minutes to pass for the lead to do what it has to do, then remember to loosen the clams around the curbing to allow the lead to push the excess resin further down the sides of the part.

panel-shot_zpsc6ce752d.jpg

Once the resin has hardened, the lead shot is removed by undoing one set of clamps & removing a section of the wooden curbing & raking the shot into a bucket. (glad you did not nail the wood pieces together?). The plastic sheeting can now be removed from the part by giving it a little tug... resin won't stick to it.

The excess fiberglass cloth is cut away ( I prefer to sand it), and the part can be examined. Some sanding will be required as a few "wrinkles" of resin will become evident upon close inspection... the part has to be sanded anyway though, right?

I am using only the top surface of the part we made here, if the whole part copied was the focus, then the sides would have to be given more attention than what I required. If this is ever the case, examine the part for NEGATIVE ANGLES! You can see how removal of the copied part may become little difficult if you were attempting to replicate a basketball, or a life-sized copy of the motor.
help.gif

panel-shot-2_zps7b7c541d.jpg

I have to go see the Doc today, but afterwards I am spending time in my workshop... have to do something with these panels, no?

Very interesting project you have there! Did you ever think about using one of those space bags and hook it up to the vacuum? That might just work well for your project.

I use the bags when camping. Dirty clothes go in them it opens up space in the bags for bring back small souvenirs.

Very interesting project you have there! Did you ever think about using one of those space bags and hook it up to the vacuum? That might just work well for your project.
I use the bags when camping. Dirty clothes go in them it opens up space in the bags for bring back small souvenirs.
Well now, that begs the question... where do you keep and power a vacuum on your FJR?
omg2.gif

Industry standards usually use a vacuum. Home/garage probably just use whatever works.....wet blanket, used condom, leather coat.....lead beads....

Well now, that begs the question... where do you keep and power a vacuum on your FJR?
omg2.gif
Press out the air for clothes, vacuum out the air when using over the fiberglass project. It would provide even pressure on the entire part. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been away from the forum for a year...divorce happens, right?

anyways, I wanted to post an update on the Buddy Bus... with a couple of pix.

Last Summer me & Buddy rolled just a bit over four thousand miles on the fjr together.

Nothing broke or cracked...I did add a camera and a monitor to watch if Buddy was hanging in there okay.

The monitor quickly gained a visor

More pix later.

Dencouch

astoria_zps3acb6839.jpg
[/url]" />

I still think this is one of the quick and nicest passenger seat smugglers around:
Nelson Rigg CL100

Tailbag6.JPG

Fred, just saw your post about the NR CL-100; what a great idea. It appears the CL-100 is no longer produced, but they make a CL-1040 that is similar in appearance and has the same dimensions. Thinking of putting one on my 2013. Do you have any difficulty accessing the lever that releases the front seat?

That (old) link was to someone else's work (and bike). I have a superior 1st gen, remember? So unfortunately, since the rear seat on a first gen is smaller footprint, no ability to install a soft bag like that.

Buddy is more than just content, where I go, he wants to follow!

I was perplexed when I first took him out, as he would not sit down but stayed standing. This appeared odd to me as I was riding up & down the side streets at well below the speed limits. Exposing him to this new mode of travel would allow me to determine his comfort zone, and conclude if this would work out with the expected results...it was only after I removed a portion at the rear of the Buddy Bus for his tail to stick through, did he begin to sit & ride.

Who would have thought?

This is a pix taken during this early first miles as a passenger. No tail light assembly fitted yet, but I did have the collar strap in place.

firsttrip_zpsf9e40b98.jpg

Now that he was comfortable, the riding began. I realize that he cannot tell me when he requires a pit stop, but I have enough traveled miles with him that I noticed when he begins standing on all fours, he wants to pee. We then do this.

Buddy posed at crater lake. Was a nice day's adventure with about 4 pee stops for us, lunch at a rest stop, and 9 hours of adventure.

craterlake_zpsd7ffc645.jpg

The camera monitor can be easily seen in this photo just above the left hand grip. The ambient light washes out the contrast, so by making a shield or lightbox it works as advertised. The angles of the sides bear directly upon my required viewing angle while riding. This monitor is part of a fiberglass pedestal mounted above & around the glove box door. The headlight adjuster knob was removed & the pedestal mounts to this to hold in place. All of the wiring is hidden inside the pedestal so all appears clean.

pitstop_zps2dbe3b3c.jpg

This is another view of the Buddy Bus. I honestly could have spent more time with the prep before the paint, but it is passable & I can always freshen it up with another sanding.

This started out looking as what could be described as a over-grown thermos, and has matured into a much better fit (if it is possible to fit a dog carrier on a motorcycle and make the results nice looking!)

More pix coming.

Duchess enjoyed the ride last sept to crater lake too! ( if we only could get a dollar for every pic taken of our ride'n dogs, we could buy a new bike every few years!)

9844756105_b644993248_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thread made me smile. [well, except hearing about your divorce.]

I love that you travel with your dog. I think that's fantastic!

And that travel box for Buddy... priceless.
smile.png

This whole thread made me smile. [well, except especially hearing about your divorce.]
Fixed to accommodate dreams I share with myself...
Hey, those dreams can come true!

(Return home after a business trip to discover that your wife took your dog in to be euthanized because "Your dog bit me!")

I discovered that attorneys still charge more than a whack-job.

This whole thread made me smile. [well, except especially hearing about your divorce.]

(Return home after a business trip to discover that your wife took your dog in to be euthanized because "Your dog bit me!")

You should have posted your "troubles" here on the forum. I can get "whack-job" financed here in Cen. Fla. for a case of Miller Lite. :D

Truly, I am devastating by this. After a whole thread that made me smile, now I just feel sad. I am sorry for the loss of your dog.