Engage Quick Detach Tankbag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Bear

Reaction score
Well guys, finally got back home and had a chance to install my new MoTec Engage QD tankbag. :rolleyes: This is the absolute slickest goodie I've ever bought for a bike :yahoo: Once installed, the bag appears to "hover" over the tank. Even loaded with my usual junk it still clears the tank in ALL areas. Absolutely no contact between the tank and bag. The mounting system uses a metal horseshoe which bolts to the gas cap cover bolts and to a heavy duty nylon mounting horseshoe with two "hooks" on it. A second nylon horseshoe attached to the tankbag locks into these hooks and a sprinloaded pin in the front (which has a lanyard that attaches to the tankbag. To detach the bag to fill up (or remove bag) simply pull the springloaded pin and lift. Voila, the bags off. To install, set the bag onto the bracket pull forward on the lanyard and lower the bag. Once it's down, let go of the lanyard and there you are! I can do it faster than I can write about it :blink: I was looking for a non-magnetic bag and I really don't like "strap ons" as the ones I've tried either (a) move or ( B) scratch the paint, or © both Magnetic bags have worked pretty well, but the magnets can be a hassle and you've got to be sure and keep 'em away from your electronic goodies. The Engage bag is, IMO THE answer!

Also, got a MoTec GPS mount that uses the front fuel tank mounting bolts. It too is outstanding! This is very cool stuff. Price is not cheap, but quality never is! I am very pleased with both of these products and the folks at Twisted Throttle (the only source I know of for these) are exceptionally nice to deal with. I'm a VERY happy camper :yahoo: With that said, it's 35 degrees and sunny, so I'm goin' ridin'. Thanks to the guys on the Forum who gave my the tip re the Engage bag!!

Glad you like it, I know I really like mine. What size did you get?

Mac

3283827-worthless.gif

guys, sorry 'bout the no pictures thing-currently don't have a way of getting 'em.. With that said, the picture above shows the same bag I've got.

As noted, it's NOT cheap, but then few really decent things are. I hope that mehaffydr will add one showing the mounting system.. THAT is be far the slickest thing about the bag. The bag itself, when installed "hovers" over the gas tank...sweet!

I have the engage as well. I got the electric kit and think it is a great trick. I am having problems with power cutting out and Twisted Throttle is going to exchange it with me even though it is 8 mths old. Great service.

I have the SWMotec/BagsConnection "City" bag on mine [TRT.00.041.100] and like it pretty well. Initially I bought an "Engage Sport" [TR 509 1], but returned it [to Twisted Throttle , w/no hassles] as it didn't fit the tank well. Their recommendation was the "Trial QL" [TRT.6061] model, but I'm stubborn & made a different choice. Given that the "City" fits so well, I'd guess that the "GS" [TRT.00.038.100] would work well also, as it's pretty much identical, but is just a tad larger.

I like their mounting system really well, and w/ a smallish bag like the "City' I can just sit it forward w/ its tail ahead of the filler and the front nested between the bars when filling the tank. The side pockets could be bigger and are good only for paper items [receipts], keys & other little bits. The rear outside pocket holds the rain cover, so this is kindof a single pouch bag, ...I'll be making some mods. The general construction I'd give a Good -Xclnt rating. So far even on a long trio I havent felt like I really needed more bag [have yet to use the "expander"], ...I just need to get creative @ packing it! I bought the optional GPS mount gadget and have mentally thrashed it's usefulness to bits and have hence chopped it up and am planning to convert it to a dual water bottle holder. The first day out headed for NAFO the map holder about drove me nuts, the velcro tab at the rear wasn't strong enuf to secure it, & everytime I passed a semi the backdraft would flip it forward up over my gauges, not hazzardous but a royal PITA. The 2nd day, in Roosevelt, UT I had a upholstery shop put a big industrial snap right in the center of the velcro, ...problem solved.

I've got the smaller day pack model. I had one for two years on my old Ninja 600 when they were "Bags Connection", the only problem i had was that model had a nylon pocket inside that wore through. On the plus side it came with a built in clear map pocket on top.

The newer model I got for my FJR got rid of the internal pocket, and turned the map pocket into an add on accessory which I haven't purchased. Well over a year daily commuting with that bag snapped to the ring of my FJR with no problems. Rain, sun, whatever.

I plan on getting the camera mount that snaps to the universal ring, and the larger bag for longer trips.