Engine cuts out when throttle is turned

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, got an 09 and have exactlly the same problem.

Yamaha alledgedly haven't heard of this before.

My bike has done this from day one. Had it back to dealers twice then they changed the TPS.

Bike still got same problem, going back in to dealer on tuesday for hopefully sorting, (am afraid I don't hold much hope).

The dealer has phoned Yamaha and they are suggesting looking at neutral and clutch switch :unsure:

Had an issue with another motorcycle manufacturer some time ago who wouldn't accept there was a problem with their bikes

took them nearly two years to admit it. Not much good to us that were affected. Have not and will not buy one of their bikes

again.

Can't wait for tuesday to see what they come up with, if anything!

Will post everything they say.

Cheers, Keith.

ive also got a 2010 fjr witch had the same issues

stalling alot when i ride up to a top sign

stall alot if i burp the throttle to fast

also seems to have a slight miss

i took it in for the 1000 km service and they found the plug gap was way off so they regapped the plugs bumped the idle upto 1100 and that has taken care of the stallign and hesitation completley

i still have the slight miss all throughout the rpm range though and they think this is caused from the throttle bodys needing to be synced

they had a broken tool for doign the sync so i have to wait till next week to get that done from the dealer

ive got 1600 kms on the bike now and notice some shifting issues aswell

if i go through the gears to quickly when i hit 3rd the shifter sticks in the up position causing me to miss 4th so i have to knock theshifter down and try for 4th again

the shifter is also quite stiff and now i have the loud clunk at every gear change

im also still fighting with yamaha on the miss matched colour of the 2010 sidebags

they dont match the colour of the bike at all yet they have not had any other complaints

waiting for a second set of backordered bags to see if there is any difference in colour

so far i am really impressed with the bike and its bound to have a few hicups being new but i think i will be buyign the extended warranty for this one

Well tuesday at the dealers come and gone, result just as I expected, dealers can't find anything wrong.

Suppose I'll have to let it get worse till it does do it at the dealers.

13k for a bike I don't trust, not good!

Well tuesday at the dealers come and gone, result just as I expected, dealers can't find anything wrong.Suppose I'll have to let it get worse till it does do it at the dealers.

13k for a bike I don't trust, not good!
i would try another dealer

sometimes its all it takes is for another set of eyes to look it over to find something simple

if my dealer cant find the problem he usually calls in a few other mechanics to have a look

of course you cant rely on yamaha cause im sure they havnt had any previous complaints about the issue

Have a brand new just out of the crate 09 that had this exact same issue, and would do it occasionally when I pulled the clutch in to rool to a stop as well. 600 Mile service and mentioned it to the tech who was gonna work on it - BAM RPM running between 900-1000 was the first thing he said. Turned up the idle so that it stays between 1100-1200 and have yet to have it die since. Keep your fingers crossed for this being the fix. There always seems to be a Gremlin or 2 with a brand new bike that has to be chased down and squashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to have a look at the bike myself after reading threads on TBS and tickover RPM.

Lifted the tank coupled up the gauges, made very slight adjustments, all at 24cmhg, adjusted idle to just over 1100.

3 days have now pasted with no issues so fingers crossed.

Hopefully dealer was looking for a faulty part that didn't exist.

Cheers, Keith.

When I picked up my (slightly used) 07 last year, the salesman stalled it in the parking lot. Said he'd have the boys tune it, come back tomorrow to get it. My first real ride with it was to North Carolina, where I stalled it pulling out of a lot full of Harleys. I was pis - er - irritated. The next day I'm making a U-turn out of the hotel's parking spot (full right lock, full lean left) when it backfires and dies slamming itself into the pavement with fully loaded bags. My riding buddy looks back but keeps going "dude, you're embarrassing me!" he says later.

It's no better this spring, so I was about to take it back to the dealer, but your posts seem to indicate a design problem they won't fix.

Is anybody using a Powercommander or other fuel injection mapping doodad? I think I'd rather risk $300 on one of those, than $300 for shop fees on a problem they know they can't fix.

Cheers!

Dave

My new '09 does the same thing. Gonna do the 600 mile service next week, but I suspect that a slight bump in the idle and syncing the throttle bodies will do the trick. She stumbles a little at low rpms, so this makes sense to me.

The next day I'm making a U-turn out of the hotel's parking spot (full right lock, full lean left) Cheers!

Dave

Um...maybe I'm going about my countersteering technique all wrong. Full lock right, and lean left, for a U-turn??? (left I'm assuming). That move alone should really make those Harley guy's jaws drop! :clapping: HAHA...just messing with ya!

Its been a couple of weeks since the idle adjustment and it seems to have done the trick. I have not had anymore problems other than it sputters for about the first 5 seconds on cold starts. But then the ECU catches up and takes care of the rest (I think). but no stalls at highways speeds or random stalling of any type thus far.

Same for me as above, after sync and idle adjust, no more probs. Shame the dealer couldn't do this.

Guess nothings changed, you want the job doing right, do it yourself!

Concur with the Sync and Idle stuff. I've had that happen to me a couple of times trying to get going from stopped. I suspect that my '09 ran too lean and couldn't stomach a semi-sudden twist of the gaz. when I did the Barbarian and checked the CO levels I had all zeros (0, 0, 0, 0) which seems unlikely if the bike were well tuned.

I tried all of the settings for the CO that the guys report here but I kept seeing low throttle hesitation and once in a while the stall. I installed a Techlusion Fuel tuner (makes the air-fuel richer) and saw an improvement on the hesitation at low rpm but no more stalls. Mix feelings about the improvements. Noticeable but still disappointing. I now strongly suspect that I need a TB sync if I want to get a smoother running bike.

So ... it seems to me the '09 '10 are not properly tuned. TBS and CO.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I picked up my (slightly used) 07 last year, the salesman stalled it in the parking lot. Said he'd have the boys tune it, come back tomorrow to get it. My first real ride with it was to North Carolina, where I stalled it pulling out of a lot full of Harleys. I was pis - er - irritated. The next day I'm making a U-turn out of the hotel's parking spot (full right lock, full lean left) when it backfires and dies slamming itself into the pavement with fully loaded bags. My riding buddy looks back but keeps going "dude, you're embarrassing me!" he says later.
It's no better this spring, so I was about to take it back to the dealer, but your posts seem to indicate a design problem they won't fix.

Is anybody using a Powercommander or other fuel injection mapping doodad? I think I'd rather risk $300 on one of those, than $300 for shop fees on a problem they know they can't fix.

Cheers!

Dave
My 08 has PCV and it still has the problem. I haven't tried bumping up the idle speed yet, will do that soon. However I have had the problem once before I did any mods to it. But it happend again after pipes, PCV w/ autotune, ground harness.