engine oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve10608

Reaction score
I am probably opening a can of worms here. I am going to be doing my first oil change in the next few weeks and was wondering about what brand of oil to use. I know the manual says to use Yamaha brand oil. The only place that I know to purchase it is at the Yamaha dealer. I try to avoid purchasing products from dealers just because they normally charge a premium price. Are there other brand oils that are as good or better than Yamaha brand? I noticed that I could purchase Yamaha brand oil filters off ebay. Is ebay a good source for filters? Any recommendations would be appreciated. If Yamaha brand oil I should be using does anyone have a good source to where I can purchase it?

Thanks

steve

Tempting very tempting but I'll let somebody else have the fun
smile.png

Just in case this isn't a joke, I'd recommend to use ANY name brand oil that is JASO MA rated (strict testing for durability/shearing and other stuff) and DON'T use any "Energy Conserving" labeled oil (usualy a circular label on the back of the oil) to help prevent clutch slippage.

I believe the Yami manual recommends 10/40 weight, I use 20/50 during the HOT So Cal Summer months and 10/40 during the cooler months. I use CASTROL regular dino Cycle Oil and change it every 3,000.......if I use a FULL synth I chnage it every 5,000.

Last edited by a moderator:
New guy. Can't search on 3 letter words. Not familiar with NEPRT (for another few minutes). You get around the poor search engine in this forum by going to Google and in the search box you type in your search word/term like this:

oil filter site:fjrforum.com

That should get you >500 hits and give you a pretty good education about FJR oil filters. There is nothing wrong with oil filters from eBay. The OEM filter is ok, there are some that are better or have better features and a few brands that may be lacking. A bunch of people here use oil filters from Wally World and auto parts stores, Yamaha even shows up in some of the cross reference books for oil filters.

The only brand name oils you shouldn't use are the "energy conserving" oils with special slipperyfriers in them that give the motorcycle's wet plate clutch indigestion. Look for the API energy star on the container. You DO NOT WANT this:

98954c2ebbf0oil2.jpg

The oil weight specified in the owners manual can be a guide, but many people use weights not specified with no engine problems. IMO, the primary difference between brand name oils is just marketing hype. Use the name brand oil of your choice and you will have made the correct decision.

Edit: I see SoCal posted similar info while I was typing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in! I like Valvoline Full Synthetic (the regular car stuff), 10w40 in cooler weather & 20w50 in our hot southeast summer months. I use a Mobil1 M-108 or M-110 filter. I change my oil & filter around 4000 miles, sometimes 5. Different folks like different stuff.....

I remember a quote many years ago from tennis instructor/guru Vic Braden:

When asked by a new student as to which racket they should buy, he replied; " It doesn't matter because all of them are designed to play better than you can."

Please proceed to connect the dots.......
smile.png

If you can't sleep some night, Google up a bunch of different motor oil testing articles and pick away!
mda.gif

I don't always change my oil, but when I do, I use snake oil.
Yepper! I figured we'd made it to NEPRT...
Yeah, but for the first time I was the last to post in a thread before it was moved to NEPRT. WooHoo!! Now I can die a truly happy, horrible flaming darksider NEPRT death with no regreats whatsoever.