Engine Problems After Low Coolant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetDude

Reaction score
Current symptoms:

-Buzz felt in pegs, handle bars, and tank.

-Rough (misfire?) while maintaining reasonable speeds

-Difficult to hold an RPM when in neutral

-mostly smooth on acceleration, smooth deceleration.

History:

I had my '09 FJR serviced by the dealer. They performed the 4K mile service and changed the coolant. After picking the bike up, I loaded it up and went for trip. After a 90 minute ride I spent about 20 minutes in stop and go traffic for a border crossing. After my turn I accelerated away, the engine was misfiring badly. I had to ride the clutch for 1st and 2nd to get moving. The engine temp was on the warm side, two bars from max. Once it cooled down it behaved normally. This happened several more time over the next few days before it was realized I was low on coolant. (sorry, I'm not a mechanic) I filled the overflow container but the bike didn't draw any in until that night when it was allowed to cool down. I repeated this over the next 5-6 days, adding more 4 fluid times. I'm not sure exactly how much. Being on the road in the middle of nowhere meant no premixed, take what you can get coolant. The water came from my drinking water.

In the course of filling it, the symptoms changed to those listed above. Once it was full, I contacted the dealer and (after searching the forum) asked for a throttle body sync, and anything else the tech might want. I just picked the bike up (no charge), the dealer stated it was a bit out of sync. They tech couldn't feel any issues after which but suggested that I need to determine if it's fixed since he doesn't ride this bike.

On my 40 minute ride home the power roll-on felt smoother, 100% normal. Buzz was still there but improved some. I didn't feel the need to take my feet off the pegs for a break as I did on the way there. At 35MPH in 2nd or 3rd gear it's very rough. It could be mistaken for a rough road but pulling the clutch in rules that out.

I'm leaving now to compare my bike with a friends FJR just to make sure this isn't in my head. Assuming it isn't, any suggests on how to proceed would be welcomed. It's making me sick to have the FJR running badly!

What did they do for the 4k 'service' ? Oil change?? With the roughness I had to think vacuum leak but not sure why they would have messed with any vacuum lines before they did the TB sync. Check to make sure the battery terminal connections are good and snug.

Maybe it was low on coolant from the get-go out of the dealership causing the issues. I'd bring it back to them, have them get it fixed and quit giving them any money. Do your own service. If you can take a piss and flush a toilet you can do your own service on the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you diluted your coolant with drinking water, you need to drain and refill with new coolant. I have no idea what may be causing your rough running, but recommend you start with the simple stuff, and be sure you have good clean and tight battery connections. Check the voltage. Check you are at 1000 to 1100 rpms at warm idle, and you might even lift the tank and check that the plug wires are tight. We'll see else what the collective comes up with.

May have been that air bubble in the cooling system thing. Darn dealersips are under time pressure and therefore are in a hurry... they may not have measured how much coolant came out and compared it to how much they put back in. Tisk, tisk... this seems like basic stuff.

Doesn't sound like you overheated badly... hopefully not. This could certianly cause the issues you mentioned.

it is a good idea to always check the simple stuff first, so wiht than in mind +1, or 2 or whatever on the battery connections and properly routed and connected vacuum lines.

Hope you find the issue and are able to get back to riding nirvana.

The more I read this forum, the more strongly I feel about performing my own services.

EDIT:

Oh yea, and +1 also on changing the coolant after filling with POW as TomInCA mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

-Battery connections are snug.

-13.24v across terminals

-Idle is at 1000 RPM

Hopefully I'll have time to check spark wires tomorrow night.

Sorry, forgot to mention I rode a friend's FJR tonight and the difference is very clear. After riding my bike my friend agreed it's rough and buzzy, something is wrong.

First thing I would do is NEVER go to that stealer again, they obviously suck :angry2: And what kind of response is that "They tech couldn't feel any issues after which but suggested that I need to determine if it's fixed since he doesn't ride this bike." Anyone who is supposedly licensed/qualified to work on the bike at the stealer should have some rudimentary "feel" for the bike to be able to tell in a quick spin around the block if he's fixed the bike or not.

Buy a service manual, find some FJR owners in your area and start learning how to perform your own basic maintenance yourself. Try to join some tech days if you can, these are a great.

To try to solve the problem +1 on the suggestions the guys have given above. Also check that the little TBS nipples (rubber caps) are all back on, since these get removed to hook up the TBS gauge.