Engine Swap. Gen 2 to Gen 1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this mean that you get the additional wattage available from the stator on the Gen 2 engine? That would be a nice benefit.
That's a good thought. With the GenII alternator, you NEED the GenII rectifier/regulator. The GenI will likely fail due to being asked to dump all those extra amps.

Not sure on extra amps. stator plugs into rectifier.

Datel volt meter shows 14.2-3 vlots cold start. around 14 hot. Not over charging.

Electrosport sold a higher output stator for 03-05 FJR no need to change retifier to install it.

Rectifier dumps extra output should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure on extra amps. stator plugs into rectifier.
Datel volt meter shows 14.2-3 vlots cold start. around 14 hot. Not over charging.

Electrosport sold a higher output stator for 03-05 FJR no need to change retifier to install it.

Retifier dumps extra output should be fine.
The Gen 2 stator outputs 100W more than the Gen 1

I haven't checked the part #s but I'd be a little surprised if the Reg/Rec of the Gen 1 couldn't handle an extra 100W.

Yes, it is a useful bonus of that engine swap.

If it can't, the OP will know soon enough :)

Checked speedometer against Garmin 550 at 80 mph.Speedo 77-78 mph around 3% I knew there was a difference, can live with that.

Speed sensor is a direct bolt in, no modifications needed.

2 things i've noticed about newer engine.

My clutch always had a minor chatter, Gen 2 is smooth. Clutch engagement is further from the bar, using Gen 1 slave.. Stalled it the 1st time pulling away.

Gear whine from engine on fast idle is almost silent, Gen 1 had louder whine. Sound like 2 different engines.
Excellent! This is the most informative thread in a while!

Clutch chatter is an individual FJR thing, not a difference in Gens. My first 04 never did it, my second 04 did it for about 75,000 miles and stopped. My 09 at 80,000 still does it. No dry clutch plates needing a soak. I'm just too lazy to do it.

I've noticed the clutch engagement difference between my 09 and the several 04s I've had.

No problems. Over 500 miles since engine was replaced

Runs as a 23K engine should, shifts fine.

Volt meter 14.3 cold start, 14.0 after that. rec. - regulator seems to handle extra output.

Nice day in centra PA. Very little traffic, nice ride along the river. 220 miles.

Its been awhile since i posted. SORRY STILL NO PHOTOS.

Installed Gen. II REC-REG last May. Direct bolt on slightly larger but fits. Just in case.. Road over 6k last year, still no problems.

Replaced throttle position sensor after engine install, used Gen. 1 throttle bodies. I was having a stumble- misfire. TPS bad, was replaced at recall. If dealer even did it??

Last ride in NOV. Need to replace front tire and brake pads soon. Installed 190 rear tire. Speedo is right on now. GPS a match.

Bought a new toy in DEC. Max scooter Honda Silverwing 600. 2013 left over brand new. 3200 off MSRP. Faster than you think . Twist and go. CVT type transmission,belt drive. Lots of fun. 105 MPH top speed.

See you on the highway.
bike.gif

Mecha 1 twa, thanks for the update. I gather the new tps sensor fixed the misfire; correct?

Thanks again for sharing. You helped me solve my dilemma regarding upgrading, now keeping an eye out for Gen II engine.

Very useful thread indeed. My 04 (owned from new) has only 135K km but it's a (very loud) ticker. I expect it to carry on a good while yet but if I do decide to go to the trouble of changing engines, I would definitely try to fit a post 06 to avoid getting another ticker. Not that it's caused me any issues so far. No oil n the exhaust ports yet.

Very useful thread indeed. My 04 (owned from new) has only 135K km but it's a (very loud) ticker. I expect it to carry on a good while yet but if I do decide to go to the trouble of changing engines, I would definitely try to fit a post 06 to avoid getting another ticker. Not that it's caused me any issues so far. No oil n the exhaust ports yet.
With no oil in the exhaust port, are you sure the noise is the typical "ticker"? Any possibility it is the cam chain tensioner?

...has only 135K km but it's a (very loud) ticker....No oil n the exhaust ports yet.
With no oil in the exhaust port, are you sure the noise is the typical "ticker"? Any possibility it is the cam chain tensioner?
You may want to take a listen and confirm where the noise is coming from. If the noise is coming from the cam chain you really want to get that fixed ASAP. As Ross says, no oil in the head pipes, it's not a ticker, per Yamaha. Yamaha's shop instructions to check for a ticker is to pull the exhaust header and look for oil. Oil = ticker. No oil = not a ticker.

It's a ticker. I have had it since new and I'm an old fart so I know the difference between cam chain and excessive valve guide wear noise. I've followed the ticking saga from the start too.

The cam chain tensioner is relatively new; a green spot version. Fitting this made no difference to the ticker noise.

Just because the exhaust ports have no oil doesn't mean the bike is tick free. Tickers don't start oiling until the wear is pretty bad. I expect mine will start to do this at some point but I have the headers off twice in the last 60K km and no (wet) oil.

There are other high mileage tickers out there now too, I am not alone.

Replacement of TPS did fix running problem. My 05 engine , clutch had a chatter since new. 07 clutch was smooth when released, noticed problem then.

New TPS has different resistance when measured with a mulit-meter but worked fine. Put ECU into diag mode set it at 16 base idle, closed throttle.

I need to replace front tire, brake pads ready to ride .!

Turn 52 MAR. 11th . YEAH. Over 100k on the street, a few more in the dirt. Winters almost over here. Start a new season, much to look forward to..