Entire fuel gauge flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huchieglide

Reaction score
Rode for about 60 miles Sunday. Came out of cafe and when I tried to start the bike it was a no go. With the key on both turn indicator lights would stay on steady along with the high beam and nuetral lights. The speedo and tac would go through their usual swing. All the bars on the fuel gauge would flash 8 times. Tried to push start and jump start but the bike was dead. Ended up have it hauled to the nearest safe haven which is a family members garage 30 miles away.

The owners manual states that the fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnostic system. "If electrical circuit is defective all display segments will flash". Then goes on to say take to Yamaha dealer to check.

"Airhead#124" has a current thread with grounding problem. "Taff" last fall mentioned this and also mentioned a grounding issue. These were the thread most appropriate from my search. I have added heated grips warmers and a powerlet outlet for Widder vest all through a fuse panel. Was not running these prior to the failure. Was also running high beams before this occured.

Am fortunate to have YES waranty and will be headed to the local dealer as soon as I can get the bike. I will also lift the tank to see if I have one of the melted black end cap grounding connectors mentioned elseware.

I did have the recalled ignition switch replace a couple of weeks ago???? Hmmm.

Any Ideas, anything I can check? Will give dealer a heads up on the grounding problem.

Just another heads up. I will post up what they say and find out when I get bike to dealer.

Rode for about 60 miles Sunday. Came out of cafe and when I tried to start the bike it was a no go. With the key on both turn indicator lights would stay on steady along with the high beam and nuetral lights. The speedo and tac would go through their usual swing. All the bars on the fuel gauge would flash 8 times. Tried to push start and jump start but the bike was dead.
Hmmmm as well. I looked in the '08 SM because I didn't realize the fuel system had it's own diagnostic beyond the ABS and ECU. Learning more all the time. Says fuel sensor has a problem, or something like that. May also be the pump electrical connection. Does the pump pre-load the system fuel pressure after key-on before startup = brief whining noise from the tank?

Check:

All fuses by the battery and battery connections. Pay particular attention to fuses feeding the fuel pump and gauge.

Raise front of tank and check first both the fuel sender and pump connections just under the tank. If ok, unfasten them from the tank and remove T-bar and fiber heat shield. Check the ignition switch connectors that were recently changed out, plus other wiring harness connectors including the square common-ground connector in the left forward harness under the frame. Some have had it melt and cause ground faults.

Any recent maintenance may have led to the bad/loose connections or fuse frying. GL and let us know what died.

Gary in Fairbanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got the bike home Tuesday evening. I left it on the trailer and put it in the garage figuring I would be taking it to the local dealer soon. The soonest they can look at it is next Tuesday. Last night I went out and lifted the tank and looked at the grounding caps for signs of an obvious problem. Really did not see anything that I recognized as unusual. I did lightly pull and jiggle some of the wires. Have tried to restart many times without any change. This morning I dediced to give it a light wash so it would be clean for the upcoming operation. After the wash and dry and some polish touch up I turn the key and what the hey. All systems normal and it starts right up. Now I am really miffed. Do I trust this thing? Do I keep my appointment at the dealer. What can they check if it fires right up?? I am thinking I at least need to get it off the trailer and out for a good ride to see if the problem repeats itself. Just wait to key it off till I get back home.

Do any of you know when the ignition switch is replaced, how far into the wiring loom do they have to go? Under the tank? Since I just had that done less than a hundred miles ago I am wondering if something was not pluged or put back properly.

Fingers crossed in Medford, Bob

I finally got the bike home Tuesday evening. I left it on the trailer and put it in the garage figuring I would be taking it to the local dealer soon. The soonest they can look at it is next Tuesday. Last night I went out and lifted the tank and looked at the grounding caps for signs of an obvious problem. Really did not see anything that I recognized as unusual. I did lightly pull and jiggle some of the wires. Have tried to restart many times without any change. This morning I dediced to give it a light wash so it would be clean for the upcoming operation. After the wash and dry and some polish touch up I turn the key and what the hey. All systems normal and it starts right up. Now I am really miffed. Do I trust this thing? Do I keep my appointment at the dealer. What can they check if it fires right up?? I am thinking I at least need to get it off the trailer and out for a good ride to see if the problem repeats itself. Just wait to key it off till I get back home.
Do any of you know when the ignition switch is replaced, how far into the wiring loom do they have to go? Under the tank? Since I just had that done less than a hundred miles ago I am wondering if something was not pluged or put back properly.

Fingers crossed in Medford, Bob
Just lurking waiting for the wife to quit spending and come home. There's two plugs - red and white - that lie under the tank and just behind and under the front frame. Follow the switch harness about a foot to the ends. Make sure the plugs are snapped together. Also check that left front ground plug DCarver just wrote up about in another thread on dead engines. Remove the black cover and shorting strap, check for previous high temp condx, and then put some anti-corrosion grease in the plug and reassemble if no signs of burning.

Gary in Fairbanks

Thanks for the suggestions PA1195. I lifted the tank and took a closer look at things. The new ignition switch seemed to be solidly plugged in. But what I did find was the black cap on the grounding module that is in the upper left has a melted hole in it. The wires going into the plug were not melted or look bad. Not anything like DCARVER's on the other thread. His photos made me take a closer look. At first I did not see the melted hole in the black cap until I tilted it upwards. So I guess that was the cause of the problem. But why would it start after sitting nearly a week? Not sure if this can be cleaned up or will need a new wiring loom.

I'll try and post some pictures. They are a bit fuzzy but you can see the melted hole in the black cap.

fjr2019.jpg

fjr2009.jpg

Grim. Yet another cooked black cap. I think I'd remove the cap and lift out the six pin shorting bar that connects the wire ends in the plug to a common ground (apparently). Look for any plug melting around each of the exposed pins connected to the wire ends. Shoot some cleaner and/or air through the plug. Examine for corrosion and clean the shorting bar as required. Look at the individual wires entering the plug for early signs of corrosion and overheating (like bare exposed wires with green copper goo on them). If it looks like it's still serviceable, shoot some dielectric grease (sold at most electrical, marine, and automotive outlets to prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals) on the contacts, reassemble the plug, and cable tie it to the adjacent harness.. Monitor the plug which is visible from the front of the bike under the headlights for further deterioration. Notify your Yamaha Dealer of the problem.

The real question is whether or not there are excessively high current to ground loads from the various components attached to that plug. Some have suggested a new heavier ground wire be attached to the plug's wiring. More on this later no doubt.

Gary in Fairbanks

The Revenge of the Ukrainian Wire Harness-Maker's Union strikes again!

When will the horror end?

And WHY is this happeing to so many Gen IIs NOW? You'dathunk this would have come up before 3 years has passed since the first Gen IIs hit the road.

Now I gotta check somthing else out... Grrrr.

it's sad, but this is the only source of "current events I get" I'm out of touch with the rest of the world, the guys I work with will read the herald and ask my "did ya hear this" or "did you see that",

Nope ...

Did you know that Yamaha finally issued a recall on Gen. II ignitions I'll say back to them. They just stare :dribble: you're weird man.

I still have my dealer appointment for Tuesday morning. Will give them a heads up on this ground module meltdown. A place for them to start.

Rode for about 60 miles Sunday. Came out of cafe and when I tried to start the bike it was a no go. With the key on both turn indicator lights would stay on steady along with the high beam and nuetral lights. The speedo and tac would go through their usual swing. All the bars on the fuel gauge would flash 8 times. Tried to push start and jump start but the bike was dead. Ended up have it hauled to the nearest safe haven which is a family members garage 30 miles away.
The owners manual states that the fuel meter is equipped with a self-diagnostic system. "If electrical circuit is defective all display segments will flash". Then goes on to say take to Yamaha dealer to check.

"Airhead#124" has a current thread with grounding problem. "Taff" last fall mentioned this and also mentioned a grounding issue. These were the thread most appropriate from my search. I have added heated grips warmers and a powerlet outlet for Widder vest all through a fuse panel. Was not running these prior to the failure. Was also running high beams before this occured.

Am fortunate to have YES waranty and will be headed to the local dealer as soon as I can get the bike. I will also lift the tank to see if I have one of the melted black end cap grounding connectors mentioned elseware.

Any Ideas, anything I can check? Will give dealer a heads up on the grounding problem.

Just another heads up. I will post up what they say and find out when I get bike to dealer.
WOW, just read your post...

My symtoms were... no fuel noise (priming the rail) when I turned the key. Red ABS and low oil level lights on, along with both indicator lights...

My front and rear harness had to replaced under warranty. The rear harness, where it lays beneath the fuel rail area (both sides I think of the fuel rail) showed signs of burnt out holes located in the "square black plastic earth end thingies" (called pots I believe inn the electronic world?? could be wrong!).

Word from my tech friend was that Yammie mama advises that the amount of electrical farkles running higher loads (not my case as I dont have many farkles) plus corrosion problems made the resistance higher causing heat problems thus the melting of the harness ground ends. Yamaha had to make the front harness as you wont see one in the USA. Took all of 3 weeks over the winter. Ignacio/Dale, I feel another recall issue coming on here.

Ride safe,

Taff.

Dealer called late yesterday. The diagnosis was that the ground module up front there was badly corroded and in an attempt to ground it was messing with the turn indicators. (I would give a better discription but I am an Electronics Neanderthal) I believe I have read here of another owner having intermitent power problems when using the turn indicators. He said the module could be cleaned and greased up and may work well for a while but it was likely to leave me stranded someday in the future. So, corporate Yamaha has authorized a new wiring harness under my YES contract. Said I may have bike back in about 10 days. So if I can get it in a couple of weeks that will be great. Also said they would lube up those modules, especially that one that sits up front taking in the rain, dust and crud upon intallation. Good on um.

Bob

I just got bit by this same failure! Dash turn indicators, neutral & high beam indicators on steady and the gas guage flashes. I had to have a tow truck take it home because it is Monday. I commute 75 miles one way to work, but I had just got back into town and finished gassing up when it refused to start. I will look at the connector you guys have described after work tomarrow.

Got the bike running again. The plastic cap had a hole melted through the top and was just starting on one side. The plug was also slightly melted, but fortunately it was useable. Tried to get a new cap and six prong pin from the dealer, but found out that I would have to order the whole head light wiring harnes to get them. They did check in the back for spares, but there where no old harneses laying around. I just cleaned everything up, gooped the pins with anti-corrosion/electric conductor gel and reassembled. The opposite side was fine, but I gooped it as well just for peace of mind. You guys were a great help with your info for trouble shooting & repairing this problem. Thanks everyone! :clapping:

Your symptoms were my 3rd electrical failure. My bike is now at the 3rd dealer for a total of 4.5 months. Yamaha still won't just replace my wiring harness... they keep guessing at everything else so you have a good Yamaha rep / dealer looking after you. The Yamaha customer service rep I have been working with just wants me to go away!

Best Regards,

Shane

This is great info as I got hit buy this on Monday coming home from work, left me dead on the side of the road for an hour before restarting. Thought it was due to the Ignition switch I had replaced 2 weeks ago. I also lifted the tank to check the Ignition switch connectors, I saw the black caps but did not look at them that hard. This weekend I will pull her apart again and take a good look maybe I can fix her to get her to the dealer. I thank you all for this thead!!

Road Runner III

Ok, pick up bike late on Friday. Put about 100 miles on yesterday to see how it ran. Just like before all of this went down. Great!!! The description on my reciept is "1 wire harness assy" part #3p6-82590-10-00

The real spooky part is: What caused this??? Will it happen again? I really like this motorbike and have plans to keep a long time. 23k currently. Will keep the faith and hope this will solve the problem. It took a bit longer than estimated buy overall I am happy with the dealer.

Bob

Latest posts