EOM 2016 Location Discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the above are reasons why I suggested the Days Inn in Jefferson, NC. There's a restaurant on-site, a Mexican Grill within walking distance, a grocery store, fuel nearby... and the venue has catering/banquet facilities along with a huge off-street parking lot for socializing. It's only minutes away from Cherokee Natl Forest and even closer to the BRP.
Can't advise regarding the off-road stuff as I tend to avoid that...
I called and spoke with the hotel clerk, will call again tomorrow to confirm with manager. But clerk said roughly 47 rooms, which is not nearly enough for an EOM event. That's usually the first big uh-oh when looking at locations.

Also checked online for West Jefferson and found Holiday Inn Express has 58 rooms. So that probably also excludes West Jefferson NC.

As much as I would love to bore everyone with days and days of my family history (Ashe county this, Ashe county that...), there may not be an Ashe County NC hotel that's suitable. And my aunts, uncles and cousins feel us suited-up motorcikel people shouldn't be stayin at their house. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnson City TN works well. Lunch is same place everyday, Highlander BBQ. Whoever finds Wayne's camera wins the grand prize. It flipped out of his unlocked top bag, somewhere along a road named Appalachian Trail near Roan Mtn TN. I have no idea why anyone would take an FJR on such a road. The hikers look at you so strangely, like you're an alien Power Ranger or something???

Johnson%20City%20TN%20to%20Highlander%20BBQ%20-%20Google%20Maps.jpg

Whoever finds Wayne's camera wins the grand prize. It flipped out of his unlocked top bag, somewhere along a road named Appalachian Trail near Roan Mtn TN. I have no idea why anyone would take an FJR on such a road. The hikers look at you so strangely, like you're an alien Power Ranger or something???
My old Garmin sent me that way south of Watuga Lake / 321. Frickin' Garmin. I didn't see Wayne's camera but that might have been before he lost it.

Also, the Citgo on 321 by Guy Ford Road that made the awesome bacon cheeseburgers burned down earlier this year. Much sad.

QexttiKl.jpg

PZi2VSXl.jpg

zEMh9bul.jpg

Gee, who's spotless FJR did I park my 8 hours of rain and road grime coated FJR next to at Highlander BBQ that day? Who said, "I think I found a short cut to the good part of Road Mtn...."

I think my top box was locked when we started up and over, and that the trail was so rough, it busted the box open on the decent...

w

I did not set an end date - this was to get the conversation rolling - a preliminary poll to see where the interest is. I've talked to a good number of people here and there offline.

What is frustrating right now is that the voting is pointing in one direction (WV), and the conversations I'm having point towards VA. Every year, there is conversation about "Why not go to Virginia, it's so great." and there are only 4 votes for it here.

wayne

When does the voting end Wayne, as this may be a moot point.

I go to VA a few times a year....because it gives me easy

access to the best of WV.

Actually, the place isn't of consequence, but the date is. But I know we need the place first, before setting a date. I'm good right now, as work won't start pressuring me for my selections until around the end of November. I pick first (30 yrs), so I pick earlier than most. Either way, if we don't have a date by then, I'll just choose the last full weekend in Sept. :)

What is frustrating right now is that the voting is pointing in one direction (WV), and the conversations I'm having point towards VA. Every year, there is conversation about "Why not go to Virginia, it's so great." and there are only 4 votes for it here.
People don't know what they want until you give it to them. Maggie Valley is the Biggest Loser so far in this poll and that's a town that generally loves motorcyclists, has a large-and-decent-enough hotel that we know appreciates our business, has fantastic roads a very short ride away in every direction, in an area rich with tourist-y stuff, and is within 30 minutes of a dealer for nearly every major brand -- there's even a Spyder dealer. If everyone voted rationally it ought to win every time.

I didn't vote for VA but I think it could be a fantastic location. Feel out the venue. If they're game, sell us on it. Or just use your powers of being the one who does the bulk of the work to declare them the winner.

I did not set an end date - this was to get the conversation rolling - a preliminary poll to see where the interest is. I've talked to a good number of people here and there offline.

wayne

When does the voting end Wayne, as this may be a moot point.
Flip a coin Wayne...either place would work just fine. And from Wytheville, a day of riding WV roads is still doable. Great riding in almost every direction.

People don't know what they want until you give it to them. Maggie Valley is the Biggest Loser so far in this poll and that's a town that generally loves motorcyclists, has a large-and-decent-enough hotel that we know appreciates our business, has fantastic roads a very short ride away in every direction, in an area rich with tourist-y stuff, and is within 30 minutes of a dealer for nearly every major brand -- there's even a Spyder dealer. If everyone voted rationally it ought to win every time.

I didn't vote for VA but I think it could be a fantastic location. Feel out the venue. If they're game, sell us on it. Or just use your powers of being the one who does the bulk of the work to declare them the winner.
Regarding the voting not matching the comments, for me, I simply cast my vote and stayed out of the conversation because I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said here and in previous years.

Of the mentioned places I like Wytheville because it's someplace different and I like different stuff. Most important, it has some good road options that have been a stretch to get to from prior EOM locations.

Here's the deal with Boone, NC: I interviewed several hotel managers there 2 years ago for an EOM venue and the universal problem is Appalachian State football. They don't publish their schedule until long after we need to have nailed down a location and all the hotels are holding out for a big payoff with football fans who pay jacked up rates for any room in town.

I like Wytheville, too. I have stayed at the Ramada. It is ok. Bar and restaurant on site. There is a good steak restaurant within short riding(walking possible) distance and gas close by. There are definitely worthy roads in the area.

My opinion on this is simple; Maggie Valley is awesome!, but, we just had it there 2 years in a row before Lewisburg WV. I'm thinking that is the only reason why it isn't getting more love. Like I said, just my opinion tho. :)

I am going to look at Wytheville for viable lodging / banquet options and see how it shapes up.

Thanks, Lee, for chiming in about Boone - IIRC, they would not commit to a room block until July or so (again, based on the football season schedule).

Wherever it's at, Marie and I are looking forward to it. Hopefully, it's no ☔️, and all ☀️!