EOM 2016 - Wytheville Virginia on September 22-25, 2016 - Ramada Inn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... Joe might be a little faster now with that spiffy new transmission and shocks. Not working as hard to keep up? :punk:
Yeah...but Bob is also on an ES
Well sure, but your antique didn't have 'em... right? ;-)

gawd... someone buy my bike so I can get moving on the new one...
Ken, just trade it in and be done with it...with your low miles, it should still be worth something.
Yeah, it might come to that.
Or just keep it and have two! :coolsmiley02:
He ain't got time, to ride the one he has now.

If y'all are going to ride like hell over low brush you might work up an appetite...

Wolfes BBQ Restaurant and Catering Marion, VA

After ride/dinner treat is conveniently located just a couple of blocks away...

Virginia Sweetwater Distillery for to be toted back to the parking lot social of course.

scenic.gif

Since I haven't been in the area for over 14 years, I know nothing about the best rides. Looking over those suggested by spklbuk, I'm impressed, it would be nice to know of a great food stop on each of those rides. Yummy time should not be forgotten. Can those four rides be made Official Suggestions? ie: as noted in posts 151, 169, 171, and 210. Looking to have a good plan for the trip back East. TIA.

Since I have no idea if I am passing up a great ride on the trip to and from, may I ask for suggestions or confirmation of the routes I have selected as being just fine. Note: I want to be near the West entrance and exits shown on map, and these will be at the end of 557m coming E , 366m going W days.

SXmkPNw.jpg

Since I haven't been in the area for over 14 years, I know nothing about the best rides. Looking over those suggested by spklbuk, I'm impressed, it would be nice to know of a great food stop on each of those rides. Yummy time should not be forgotten. Can those four rides be made Official Suggestions? ie: as noted in posts 151, 169, 171, and 210. Looking to have a good plan for the trip back East. TIA.
A refined for GPS version of the routes will likely be incorporated into the EOM Whytheville website. Each ride brief will mention a good meal stop be it morning brunch after riding a short way, lunch on the loop or dinner on the way home.

You have a safe journey sir and don't forget the Monkey Butt Powder!

If y'all are going to ride like hell over low brush you might work up an appetite...
Wolfes BBQ Restaurant and Catering Marion, VA

After ride/dinner treat is conveniently located just a couple of blocks away...

Virginia Sweetwater Distillery for to be toted back to the parking lot social of course.

scenic.gif
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info about the area, it'll definitely come in handy!Thanks,

Rob
Sure beats whining about VAs traffic laws doesn't it.
smile.png

Since I have no idea if I am passing up a great ride on the trip to and from, may I ask for suggestions or confirmation of the routes I have selected as being just fine. Note: I want to be near the West entrance and exits shown on map, and these will be at the end of 557m coming E , 366m going W days.
Given those mileages, I think you've done just fine. Get in rest up and enjoy the day routes.

If you've never been a short side foray to the New River Gorge Bridge Overlook on the way east might make for a nice butt break. Nice eateries nearby the bridge are: Secret Sandwich Society and Pies and Pints both in Fayetteville, WV.

I'd consider the western section of VA that borders WV, as being part of your incredible playground.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's mostly Blue Ridge Parkway from VA to Tellico Plains? Hop off at NC-80 towards Marion, maybe get your photo taken by Blind Kenny, loop back around to 226/226A. Over towards Brevard consider a loop around NC-215, US-64, NC-281. NC-28 down to Tellico Road and then up US-129 would be a funner route to the Cherohala if you're purposefully avoiding Deals Gap. If you're not... Take NC-28 up, the ride through the Fontana Village area is one of the best.

SXmkPNw.jpg

Just wondering, are there any somewhat shorter day trips planned, or does everyone have an iron butt? I know my girlfriend can't ride hundreds of miles in a day, at least not without regular stops. Also, this being my first year with my FJR, I probably won't be hangin' with the speed demons. I'm coming off a big, cumbersome, 800 pound+ cruiser.

Just wondering, are there any somewhat shorter day trips planned, or does everyone have an iron butt? I know my girlfriend can't ride hundreds of miles in a day, at least not without regular stops. Also, this being my first year with my FJR, I probably won't be hangin' with the speed demons. I'm coming off a big, cumbersome, 800 pound+ cruiser.
There will be quite a variety of people with different riding preferences. Long, short, fast, medium, slow, 1up or 2. Just ask around.

There will be quite a variety of people with different riding preferences. Long, short, fast, medium, slow, 1up or 2. Just ask around.
Awesome, I'll do just that! :)

Awesome, I'll do just that!
smile.png
In addition to Bob's advice,

Seek out the BRP at Fancy Gap then Meadows of Dan, Mabrie Mill and lunch in Floyd or on out to Tuggles Gap then close back on 221S to home base. You will move way up on your gfs list of people to like.

For you, 81S to Marion, ride 16N as far as you'd care to, say the Red Bud Diner in Adria, VA for grub, do a 180 and repeat.

Scenic...52N to Big Walker, 42S to 16S to Marion and 81 to home in Whytheville.

Do a little map staring. Lots of shorter permutations and bail outs along the suggested routes.