Excellent situation awareness!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy smokes! I hate to say it but I prolly would've been a hood ornament on that one. Good on him!

Dang that's scary!

I agree that he probably would not be able to accelerate out of harms way in time. Especially since he had poorly stopped on the white painted crossing line on a wet road. Almost no traction there!

Very glad he was watching his 6.

Not sure he was watching. He'd obviously been there for a little while judging by the break in the video. I suspect the headlights attracted his attention. He didn't get off scot free, either; he was hobbling away, and who knows what damage was hidden by adrenaline?

Does make you think, though.

He could probably hear the tires slipping on the asphalt and there is always a chance that the truck driver tried to warn him with the horn.

Let us not pass up this chance to critique his form, his stopping point, his lack of gear, his direction of escape, and tell how much better he should have done. 'Cuz that's how we roll.

Whether he is hurt and hobbling or not, he was alive and that was impressive to me.

Good move by the rider, you're right Mikerider; situational awareness! One of the riding courses I took insisted that we turn our heads back as vehilces were approaching to make eye contact with the driver as they slowed - it does help to prevent vehicles from stopping right on your tail in normal circumstances. In this case, doesn't look like the vehicle driver slowed until after impact. Ninja move!

WOW! Even if he had reacted and pinned the throttle, he never would have gotten away fast enough. Good move jumping off that thing!

In the end, he got lucky. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. What would have happened if at the last second, just as the rider was preparing to bail, the driver decided to swerve left around him?

SIPDE

Sometimes it works, like for this guy, sometimes you are unlucky.

It was dark, possibly raining. Little to no lighting on the rear of the bike. Black jacket and black helmet. Hard to be seen in some instances with bike lighting and reflective gear. This guy had no chance.

Surprised someone hasn't chimed in with a HI Viz comment yet.

IMO, I don't think it would have mattered. The asshat in the truck wasn't watching regardless. The light was RED the whole time and he didn't see that either.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised someone hasn't chimed in with a HI Viz comment yet.
Dave
I kinda did....
smile.png

I wonder what happened here. The truck driver hits the brakes just before the collision, and through the intersection with the bike under the truck, then appears to release the brakes and pull around the crash debris. Hit & run?

The light was RED the whole time and he didn't see that either.
Bingo, if he missed the bright light in an expected location, there's no way he'd see a brightly colored jacket in a place he doesn't expect to see it.

Look again. Watch how slowly the rider slows to the stop line and actually goes past it.

Look closely at the surface of the road

Truck's brakes were already on when it comes into the frame of view.

While running across the street after jumping off, rider actually slips a little in the road way.

I think the ground is covered with (black) ice and the truck just came in way too hot and slid into the bike and right through the intersection.

Latest posts