Excessive fuel consumptuon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you consider "excessive"? What are your MPG numbers? Are you going by the dash readout or are you actually doing the miles ridden divided by gallons used? Highway miles? Local?

As they say, it's all in the wrist.

Define excessive...
As @Whooshka asked, based upon gauge or distance over actual fuel added?
Have you had the bike long and has this behavior recently changed?
Where and how do you ride (city, mountains, twisties, fast/aggressive)?
Carrying luggage or passenger?
Long or short rides?
Maintenance history?
Condition of brakes?
Kilometers on bike?
Does it have a Power Commander or other device that alters mixture?
Recent work done on bike?

At least a dozen possibilities and none can be identified without a lot more information.

Purchased my 06 with the power a commander already installed. 34-36 MPG. AT BEST! Neutralized the commander, now get 40-45 MPG. Just say'n... still has plenty of power. Ivan flash is next in line for me. As raesewell said; more info please...

Pete-o

Purchased my 06 with the power a commander already installed. 34-36 MPG. AT BEST! Neutralized the commander, now get 40-45 MPG. Just say'n... still has plenty of power. Ivan flash is next in line for me. As raesewell said; more info please...

Pete-o
That's why I mentioned Power Commander specifically. My experience was similar to yours - instant 20% improvement in fuel economy after getting rid of it. Ivan flash wasn't available when I had my 2007 but I got used to the snatchy throttle. My 2011 doesn't really need it...

I have an 07 with Power commander that was originally tuned for economy, let’s face it the bike has plenty of power. Coming up on 38,000 miles. Rode yesterday, showing 42.7 mpg, mostly running non ethanol fuel with mix city/Hwy.

6 liter/100km
On my 2011, I have seen anywhere from low 30's to over 50 miles/US gal (7.1 to 4.5 L/100 km) as calculated at fill-up. (Be careful filling to a consistent fill level and do an average over a few tankfulls). Assuming there are no mechanical issues and nothing to mess with fuelling, there can still be huge variation due to speed, acceleration used, cruising RPM (gear selection), braking, wind conditions, in-city vs highway, short hops vs long distance, mountainous terrain vs flat, altitude, road surface, ambient temperature, weight loading, towing trailer, wind resistance (luggage, gear, barn-door windshield), fuel quality etc.
No point in further speculating on the OP's situation without more information. Need to find out if fuel consumption is truly excessive in view of riding conditions before looking at possible issues with the bike.

That's not bad for some conditions. Riding around with the screen up at 120-130kph will do that. If you are cruising at 80kph with the screen down then it's terrible.
naaa i empty my tank every 2 day's , 360 km mostly highway, on highway screen is up, and normally cruise control 130km/hr, but some times i feel young again and then i have to fill up allong the way, and then madame knows i drove a little faster. The sport mode is sometimes a temptation ....

Original poster joined the forum Feb. 07 at 9:24 AM
Started this thread Feb. 07 at 9:25 AM
Was last logged in on Feb. 07 at 9:26 AM

Who does that?
Irks me when someone asks for help and then never comes back. Like the guy who posted about his ABS engaging. We gave him all sorts of advice, which he side stepped and instead just kept bitching about it. Said he was taking it to his mechanic and never came back. My feelings aren't hurt but if the issue was resolved his solution could help others.

Original poster joined the forum Feb. 07 at 9:24 AM
Started this thread Feb. 07 at 9:25 AM
Was last logged in on Feb. 07 at 9:26 AM

Who does that?
Not uncommon these days. Bots or low-paid spammers create an account, make a semi-relevant post or 3 over a few months just to establish some history before coming back to tout some clickbait in the future.