F150 Engine recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to add another thing to this discussion, and it is purely personal opinion. While the Ecoboost is really strong and really wonderful and is the smartest way to go, it does not sound as good as the V8 option. The 5.0 V8 has a nice subdued rumble from the exhaust, it provides a...Truck Feel and experience. The 5.0 manages to feel refined, high tech, and smooth yet it still reminds you of the bygone days of the 351. (Sorry, I never was a fan of the old 302 in the trucks) Part of the joy of driving a real Truck is the engine's character and sound. I will not go into the joys of the old 300 straight 6 with a 3 on the tree and balky linkage, but that was fun too.

I have driven a couple of the Ecoboost F150s and one with the 5.0 V8. I liked them all. If you take into account that I am a GMC owner/driver and always have been, you can take that as high praise indeed.

I'm just amazed at the progress the "light duty" pickup truck market has made in a very short time. "Half-ton" pickup trucks now a days have a payload of 1500 pounds (3/4 ton). They can be equipped to tow the kinds of loads that, 15 years ago, would take a 1-ton truck or even a medium duty truck. And they will gladly tow that load up hill, up the boat ramp, in extreme temperatures (low and high), and more. The ride quality from the chassis is incredible. New trucks ride like full sized cars. And all the while, when driven reasonably maturely, they will now offer the owner fuel mileage that rivals medium sized cars of 20 years ago.

But this does come at a cost. The 2003 Chevrolet 1500 that I bought new for $19,900.00 and still own, in comparable trim (relatively speaking) today, would cost $30,000.00. Which of course is why I'm still driving old Betsy......

I would like to add another thing to this discussion, and it is purely personal opinion. While the Ecoboost is really strong and really wonderful and is the smartest way to go, it does not sound as good as the V8 option. The 5.0 V8 has a nice subdued rumble from the exhaust, it provides a...Truck Feel and experience. The 5.0 manages to feel refined, high tech, and smooth yet it still reminds you of the bygone days of the 351. (Sorry, I never was a fan of the old 302 in the trucks) Part of the joy of driving a real Truck is the engine's character and sound. I will not go into the joys of the old 300 straight 6 with a 3 on the tree and balky linkage, but that was fun too.
I have driven a couple of the Ecoboost F150s and one with the 5.0 V8. I liked them all. If you take into account that I am a GMC owner/driver and always have been, you can take that as high praise indeed.
I have a friend who recently bought one with a 5.0 because it sounded more like we remember. Of course he tows with his powerstroke.

You know that the 5.0 is a 302 right?

The 5.0 may lope like a V8 (since it is one) but it is seriously lacking in the torque department and the tow and cargo rating is pathetic.

Personally I could care less what my truck sounds like. Mine is so quiet it doesnt sound like anything really, and I like it that way . What I do care about is how it performs. So the choices are the biggest gas guzzling V8 or a turbo on a smaller engine. Diesels are great but cost way too much for my tastes

YMMV

Fred my grouchy friend, yes I know that the 5.0 is a 302 but the modern 5.0 has no parts in common with the anemic carbureted 302 that Ford was using in the '70s and '80s. The FI 5.0/302 in the late '80s Mustang was a beast for its time but not so much in the trucks of that era.

Also, the modern 5.0 is not really a gas guzzler. Real world mileage figures had the 5.0 doing as well as the first Ecoboost V6s on the highway. I understand the latest Ecoboosts have improved on their fuel mileage.

I also understand that Ford will soon be introducing a diesel for the F150. If it works anything like the one in the 1/2 ton Ram, it will be a hit.

I love the sound of a V8. It's not for everyone.

My Duramax diesel is pretty quiet and I like that but I would like it to have just a little bit more character. Of course it is nice when things just quietly start moving because the diesel tells them they have to.

Redfish, take it easy on the old 302 with a carb. My daily driver is a 1955 F100 with a 302 that I built myself backed by a 4spd AOD trans and a 9" ford diff with 3.25 gears. It pulls great and gets better mileage than my wife's 2017 F150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. The 302 is turning 1800 RPM at 70MPH and averages 25 MPG. Who needs high tech.
smile.png

The 302 started life as a marine/industrial block with all forged internals and topped with a set of 69 truck heads that I have about 100 hours in porting and polishing/ Stock cast intake with a Edelbrock 4 barrel. real mild cam and 9 to 1 compression. 30K miles so far and drive it daily. In the winter it does get studded tires
rolleyes.gif

I think the old carb 302 ran better than the early FI models. They are still torque limited by displacement, which a forced induction can overcome, but those late 20th century FI 5.0 engines were dogs. I know because I owned one for far too long

Last trip to and from Spearfish to Sioux Falls my 3.5 ecoboost got 21.9mpg with the cruise set at 80 mph for the bulk of the trip. Just over 850 miles including some city driving in Sioux Falls. Best yet and absolutely amazing.

Lots o good info and opinion. I’m leaning strongly towards the 5.0. Cold started one up the other day and blipped the throttle and sounded like a loose cct on run down. I think I need to hear/experience more 5.0’s and chill out, or I’ll be shopping for old tech like a flat head.

I had a 72 Bronco with a 302. Worst vehicle I ever owned or close to the 71 Challenger with a 318.

As much as upgrading would be nice my 03 Expedition 5.4 with 110K has some miles left and even with the shitty mileage it's still cheaper to own and operate than a new rig.

My friends I am NOT a Ford fan by any means but I am a realist. My personal favorite Ford engine was the 289. I have some wonderful memories of a first Gen Bronco with a 289, and the old gentleman that always treated me like his own grandson... he loved to watch me shoot.

I have some equally wonderful memories of a young lady with a mid 60s mustang with a 289 that she drove to high school back in the late 80s... That little 289 ran like a scalded dog. She was so damned cute, and she was friends with my best friend's little sister. Dammit.

My memories of the late 70s and the early 80s have no bright spots for any of the American manufacturers. I can remember vividly that NONE of the trucks of that era ran worth a damn. The 305/5.0 GM had 160 screaming horsepower. The 302 Ford and the 318 Dodge were no better. I remember a brand new 318 Dodge that would literally die every time the pedal was mashed to the floor.

The Monte Carlo SS and the Mustang GT were a turning point for the American small block V8s. I had respect for those motors.

Back in Real Time, I don't own or drive a Ford. I really like the power and torque of the Ecoboost. But I am intoxicated by the way the 5.0 feels and sounds.

Logic is useful and it has its place. But when choosing a motorcycle or a truck Logic is only part of the equation. It may be the rumble of a V8. It may be the whistle of a turbo. It may be the gear whine. Who knows what makes each of us happy?

Again, no wrong answers with the (current) F150. My personal experience with the 4.6 was miserable. I cannot imagine any modern truck engine being worse than that.

And I will happily dial up the programmer on my Duramax to "roll some coal" if we have to start a Jr. High pissing contest. You have to ask yourself though, just because one particular motor gets 1 mpg better and has 20 more horsepower does that make that motor the only choice? Do you have to have the one with the highest tow rating? The highest mpg? Or do you get the one that you want? Can you pick something that you want just because you want it?

I urge the OP to test drive a few different trucks. Hell, take a risk and try out a Dodge or a Chevy.

I can only imagine what my life would have been like if I had decided "I will only ride Hondas" or "I will only date blondes".

Next time I am in California FJRay owes me a ride in that Truck. I am not willing to fight him over it, but I really want that ride.

My friends I am NOT a Ford fan by any means but I am a realist. My personal favorite Ford engine was the 289. I have some wonderful memories of a first Gen Bronco with a 289, and the old gentleman that always treated me like his own grandson... he loved to watch me shoot.
I have some equally wonderful memories of a young lady with a mid 60s mustang with a 289 that she drove to high school back in the late 80s... That little 289 ran like a scalded dog. She was so damned cute, and she was friends with my best friend's little sister. Dammit.

My memories of the late 70s and the early 80s have no bright spots for any of the American manufacturers. I can remember vividly that NONE of the trucks of that era ran worth a damn. The 305/5.0 GM had 160 screaming horsepower. The 302 Ford and the 318 Dodge were no better. I remember a brand new 318 Dodge that would literally die every time the pedal was mashed to the floor.

The Monte Carlo SS and the Mustang GT were a turning point for the American small block V8s. I had respect for those motors.

Back in Real Time, I don't own or drive a Ford. I really like the power and torque of the Ecoboost. But I am intoxicated by the way the 5.0 feels and sounds.

Logic is useful and it has its place. But when choosing a motorcycle or a truck Logic is only part of the equation. It may be the rumble of a V8. It may be the whistle of a turbo. It may be the gear whine. Who knows what makes each of us happy?

Again, no wrong answers with the (current) F150. My personal experience with the 4.6 was miserable. I cannot imagine any modern truck engine being worse than that.

And I will happily dial up the programmer on my Duramax to "roll some coal" if we have to start a Jr. High pissing contest. You have to ask yourself though, just because one particular motor gets 1 mpg better and has 20 more horsepower does that make that motor the only choice? Do you have to have the one with the highest tow rating? The highest mpg? Or do you get the one that you want? Can you pick something that you want just because you want it?

I urge the OP to test drive a few different trucks. Hell, take a risk and try out a Dodge or a Chevy.

I can only imagine what my life would have been like if I had decided "I will only ride Hondas" or "I will only date blondes".

Next time I am in California FJRay owes me a ride in that Truck. I am not willing to fight him over it, but I really want that ride.
Redfish,

You're right about the new Coyote based 5.0 L. That engine is a beast at 400 HP. My friend has one and it's impressive. My only concern with the new V8's is you get stuck with cylinder deactivation. That seems to be the problem down the road when the warranty runs out. People on Chevy, Ram Forums report engine failures and oil consumption. That's one of the reasons the Tundra appeals to me, just a 5.7 L without all that crap. They won't see mileage like John & Fred get and they don't change the look much but they seem to be awesome trucks. I have a 6.4 L Hemi in my Wrangler and it doesn't have any of the deactivation junk on it & runs great. I'm always looking at what truck will cost me the least down the road when the warranty runs out. Extended warranties are expensive and I know from selling motorcycles there is a good profit in them as well. This is a good thread, I miss owning a truck. I'm happy to see a lot of folks on here having good luck with the domestics. I know all the brands have electrical gremlins at some point.

I'll add this - the "all wheel drive", if that's the right way to express it, on Big John's F-150 4x4 was impressive in the snow/ice roads when I was up there in January. Of course, Pants was crapping bricks over the whole thing. I mean - we had 1/4" of ice in Louisiana and it shut down the ENTIRE State for 3 days!! I suppose they all have that shit now, but it was neat to sit in the passenger seat.

My next truck will be a 4x4, we can re-visit that in about a year and a half...

Last edited by a moderator:
More good advice ^^^^. I’ll be waiting till fall before any purchase so I’ve got time to research and test drive other makes. A settlement from my accident may make me open my wallet a little wider.

A buddy had a diesel Dodge that he practically lived in for years while running a paving business with few problems. I was a Chevy guy back in the 60’s early 70’s then switched to foreign makes, most recently Toyota after Toyota after Toyota commuter cars ad nauseum. Buying that Ford in 02 was leap of faith for me, got used to Toyota reliability, and the Ford didn’t give me too much to complain about.

So I guess I’ll be widening my scope. I do see a lot of Chevys around here. :^)

You must recognize that people on most Forums are there to bitch, not sing the praises to the other victims that bought what they bought.

You must recognize that people on most Forums are there to bitch, not sing the praises to the other victims that bought what they bought.
This is mostly true. You will note however that in spite of the fact that I am not a Ford guy I am realistic and honest in praising their products.

Truth be told, it is difficult to find a bad full size pickup in this country right now. They have all come a Long Way. I believe a good vehicle would be available no matter what label is on the outside. I have been impressed with the Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 V8 but it does use a bit more fuel than I like. I have not been in the new Nissan Titan, mostly because they are just so damned ugly. The current offerings from Ram, Ford and GM are all very impressive to me. It is a good time to own a truck. It is also a Bad Time to have to pay for a new truck.

Yeah, I failed to mention mine is a 4x4. That’s the norm up here in New England. Adds to the price but makes it a lot more useful in the winter months. You guys down south are lucky you can consider a RWD model.

I have yet to see or drive the new Nissan Diesel but would be interested in trying that truck. I've owned several Datsun/Nissan products in the past and have always had great service from them.

Maybe not what the OP is after, but since we mentioned other trucks...

No love for the Honda Ridgeline? Mine is an 05 that I bought new. First one the dealer had. It has been bulletproof other than 2 things. The air conditioner compressor went out on the way home from Zillas last year. And then this New Years, I had a line come out of the transmission cooler/radiator. Total cost of both was less than 1800 combined. Other than that, I have done brakes 2 times. Once front and once rear. 177K miles and still doing great. Has a little rust on the rear fender, but would drive it anywhere.

Unless you need something to really tow or haul a big trailer, I wouldnt go anywhere else. No its not a real truck, but I have tried to get it stuck, pulled way too many heavy trailers, and loaded up some super heavy loads in the bed.

When I would buy another truck, I will buy the new body style.

Last edited by a moderator: