Fall Colors 2.0

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
The idea for this ride was to see some fall colors, ride a road never ridden and ride a freshly paved road. I was out a few weeks ago and the Aspen trees hadn't started turning color, hence the 2.0 in the title.

Over a beer or two I checked out my Destination Hwy map and found a road I have never been on. It was just six miles long but I was in the mood to poke around some twisted edges and put a route in the GPS.

The actual route I created on the fly and turned off the GPS for a while. What end up riding was this route.

I headed out of Spokane on Hwy 2 aka Flatistan Hwy. Out of sheer boredom deviated from the route in the GPS to get to Porcupine Bay Road as soon as possible. Porcupine Bay is the road never ridden and it twist abit from the farmland down to Lake Roosevelt aka the Columbia River courtesy of Grand Coulee Dam. It was a nice bit of road but short with a lot of businesses to support boating and had quite a few summer homes. It was a down and out road with some pretty good scenery.

5eK3F7D.jpg

A87cx60.jpg

VG91Vh5.jpg

bq3EhCC.jpg

0jNVpg8.jpg

I did a down and out to Creston going back up to the farmland then head back toward Hunters. In the spirit of poking around I went to Hunter’s campground along Lake Roosevelt. Never had been there, always road on by, but today I decided to drive down and check it out.

I got this photo heading toward Hunters.

jIUY83f.jpg

wxXbbGM.jpg

And this one just leaving Hunters.

LP0KzqN.jpg

So the poking around part of this ride was over and I was finding some nice fall colors.

Some trees along Lake Roosevelt.

NaQ1M9b.jpg

Zooming it looks like this:

mzOB7mg.jpg

Lake Roosevelt along Hwy 25.

cwnT7X5.jpg

The roads here aren’t too bad either. I ride here often. It is pretty remote and it is good to be away from the crowded highways around Seattle where I used to live.

sXeFCJC.jpg

Now it was on to the freshly paved with asphalt, will miracles never end, Addy to Gifford road. Unfortunately the road sanded due to recent snowfall and won’t be clean until next May so enjoying this twisty bit will have to wait a while. Slower speeds means more photos though.

Look at the sand on the road. Nuts.

rgAVM5e.jpg

An Aspen tree turned golden brown.

m7aBk7r.jpg

There was moisture on the road too. I thought it might be diesel.

0p7znZ9.jpg

Aspen trees on the hillside.

M3Qgn2E.jpg

And along the road.

6nftx0V.jpg

These photos were taken along Hwy 20. I was concerned there the road might be sanded like the Addy’s to Gifford road, but it wasn’t. YeHaw cause it has some nice twisty sections at each end and the fall colors in the middle was spectacular.

gzS0ajX.jpg

JjEUYtd.jpg

VZqSCId.jpg

I pulled over at a rest stop along a lake.

kpsAHkY.jpg

My 09 FJR with 107k miles.

KIU9i4p.jpg

Back on the road.

R9Dg4hP.jpg

Now I had to ride back south, looking into the sun. I was pretty bad. There are lots of forest rats here and my visibility was drastically reduced. I was lucky on this day but this is likely the last ride up here this year. I may go on another ride but I will go south of Spokane and return north in late afternoon with the sun at my back. Once it starts to snow trucks deposit calcium chloride and sand and this is when the bike takes a long winter nap cause the roads won’t be clean until spring.