Fall Foliage Ride(s)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for this late post; a good alternative to the Old Clark Inn is the Marlinton Motor Inn, a couple miles north of Marlinton on 219 (restaurant on site, https://www.marlintonmotorinn.com/). The Highland Scenic Highway, Rt. 150, from 219 at Edray to 39 should be beautiful about now. Watch out for chip sealing in Highland Co., VA; there was a lot of loose gravel there when I rode there Labor Day weekend. WV roads are much better than VA roads in that area.

Thanks F1fan, I got the EOM 08 GPS files and this will help a bunch in picking a Saturday ride. Anybody have suggestion for the route with the most turns per mile and no goat paths? I don't like dirt or gravel much.

I will be in late afternoon or early evening Friday if the weather is good. I will be with a group of 2 to 4 riders on different kinds of bikes, sport or sport-touring.

Thanks F1fan, I got the EOM 08 GPS files and this will help a bunch in picking a Saturday ride. Anybody have suggestion for the route with the most turns per mile and no goat paths? I don't like dirt or gravel much.
I will be in late afternoon or early evening Friday if the weather is good. I will be with a group of 2 to 4 riders on different kinds of bikes, sport or sport-touring.
Well you have not ridden much in the WV hills have you? PLENTY of turns. Any route that takes you through the mountains will please you. Excellent quality of roads in WV too. If you take "Heidi loves 1/2 & 1/2" you may run into our group on Saturday. We will be on a good portion of that route. See you Sat. night anyway! :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ross,

Glad you got the routes. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday.

Wait until Saturday night!
Good lord, what do you have planned? :alcoholic:

Rain gear is packed. It looks like Friday will be cool but dry at home when I leave at sunrise. I plan on riding southwest into PA and visit the memoral in Shanksville on my way down. That'll lead me to 219 for the ride through WV. I should be there before dark. I'll take my laptop with me so I can keep an eye on this thread.

Rain gear packed, we will sneak out ahead of it tomorrow morning and enjoy a sunny and 70 day getting there, Fri looks iffy but i think a southbound trip will be pretty nice. Sat we will prolly meet ya at the truckstop instead of ducks corner that way we can sleep in a little if its still pouring. My guess is the worst of the line of thunderstorms will roll through Friday night and by late Sat afternoon it will be past us.

Nate

Well, I don't really know if I want Saturday to come here. After a few days of restraining myself I checked the weather this morning. It ain't looking good.

This is what the forecast was for Lewisburg on Sat.

Showers with isolated thunderstorms in the morning... then showers likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Well, I don't really know if I want Saturday to come here. After a few days of restraining myself I checked the weather this morning. It ain't looking good.This is what the forecast was for Lewisburg on Sat.

Showers with isolated thunderstorms in the morning... then showers likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 60s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.
You are so cheery! It will still be a lot warmer than it was last Saturday when I headed to Mass.!

Are you still looking at the "ocean" forcast? TWC has rain ending in the afternoon. I still like mine better!

I am a wimp <_<

I was looking forward to WV but it looks like NC an GA mtns instead due to the weather. I will put this information to good use on another trip. I will probably be staying in Bryson City NC Fri and Sat night.

Thanks for the info.

Ross

Hi Ross,

Can't say I blame you for not wanting to ride in the rain. Hope you have a great trip wherever you end up this weekend.

Ingo

I am a wimp <_<
I was looking forward to WV but it looks like NC an GA mtns instead due to the weather. I will put this information to good use on another trip. I will probably be staying in Bryson City NC Fri and Sat night.

Thanks for the info.

Ross
Too bad. Forcast doesn't look as bad as it did earlier in the week. We will definitely get wet, but to what extent remains to be seen.

Geezer's weather forecast for WV:

Friday night, heavy rain after dark, stopping at 4:00 AM. This will wash all the coal dust off the road.

Saturday, dry and warm.

Sunday. see Saturday.

Monday, same again.