Family dog of 16 years gone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCage

formerly SouthernFJR
Reaction score
I haven't really responded much in threads about losing the family pet... I didn't have a reference, I've never had to put an animal down. That changed Sunday. Doctor Watson (Doc) spiraled into bad health to the point that I had to have him put to sleep. You really get close to a dog that is an inside dog that is involved in almost every family activity. We got him in 1991 as a puppy when the kids were between the ages of 6 and 10. He was a Cairn Terrier, like Toto in the Wizard of Oz. He was very smart, loved to play, and there wasn't a mean bone in his body. The kids fought over who Doc would sleep with each night, so I had a schedule where he alternated which kids bed he would sleep in each night. He rotated between the three. After a couple of weeks, he would just go to the "scheduled" bedroom and jump into the correct bed. As the kids got older and not as interested in Doc, he and I got closer. He slept in our bed, insisted on being in the easy chair next to me, and totally enjoyed riding in the truck to get a plain hamburger for himself.

About a year ago he became incontinent. We put up with it because, after all, it was Doc (the carpet needs to be replaced now). During that time he also became nearly blind and deaf. Over the past week he stopped eating. And three days prior he lost the ability to walk, or even stand up. Saturday night was an all nighter with a lot of pain... physically for Doc, and emotionally for me. I made the "God" decision that he had to be put to sleep. His Vet. was closed, so I made an appointment with Pet Smart at 1400 hours for him to be put down. The in-store Vet. said that they could take him in the back and kill him, or I could be with him while they did it. Although it was really hard on me, but easier on Doc, I opted for the "I'll hold him while you give him the lethal injection" scenario. I just sat and rubbed his ears while they did the injection, and he just faded away. Just like that... 16 years of a companion full of vigor and life... gone. It really got to me when I handed him back to the Vet... now as a lifeless rag doll.

Shit... this sucks.

IMG_0051.jpg

I feel for you. In many significant ways our pets really are an extension of ourselves.

I've (unfortunately) had to put down several of my best buddies over the years. My old pal Sampson (GSH pointer) and 2 Greyhounds we adopted, Captain Bart and Danny (TW's DD Dancer). I too spent the last moments with each one. I wanted then to hear what great dogs they were as they drifted off.

I wanna go like that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear of your loss. It's one of the facts of life that really kicks you in the rear when it finally happens, and it always does. One doesn't realize just how much of a hole a loved critter fills until the friend moves on-and the hole becomes real, and huge. Time helps diminish the sense of loss, but doesn't erase fully the feeling that things aren't right, no different I guess than any big change in the day to day meanderings of our lives. Hopefully, after a time you'll be comfortable enough with things that a new friend will once again fill the hole, and the next chapter will have begun. Again, been there, I know how you feel right now, and so sorry to hear of it. Hang in there and comfort your family, in doing so you will also find comfort.

Sorry to hear this, man. It is amazing just how deep in to you these little fur balls can get. It's never easy when it's time for them to leave.

The picture of Doc show what a thousand words could never say. I am sorry for your loss. In time, get to know another soul like Doc. In the mean time, enjoy the memories.

Burk

I'm really sorry for your loss. Even though I tend to see myself as a bit of a loner, I've always had the special companionship of a dog. I've lost a couple over the years and have twice been fortunate/miserable enough to be there to keep them company as they fade away. Nothing else is quite as unconditional as the love of a dog. Sounds like you had some wonderful experiences and memories thanks to that friendship. The feeling of loss slowly lessens though it's never completely gone. Hang in there.

Know how you feel, been there and done that. They are closer than human children because they live only for you.

Remember the lucky 16 years of happiness and loyalty, that will keep the tears away.

The hardest decision of my life came 7 years ago. Our Golden of 16 years had developed cancer in the lungs and brain. He could no longer walk or function. I had to do what was fair to him and let him leave without pain and have dignity. I knew people I would have rather put down, but the decision was made. With all our love we let him go. In time you will find more of that love for an animal. In time you will only have the good memories. Best wishes and I feel your loss.

Man o man, my sympathy for you. We become more attached to our pets than we realize. Having to play 'God' even when we know it is for the good of our pets is always very tough. Might just be the family pet, but they are definitely a family member.

I feel your pain. My wife and I had to put our beloved dog LaBella down in July. We had her 13 years and then she got cancer. We both were with her when she had the lethal injection. Knowing that she had a great life makes it all worthwhile!

Southern, sorry to hear about losing a family member. I too lost our family Beagle about 3 months ago. She was with us for 15 wonderful years and was one of the hardest times loosing a pet. I knew she had many tumors in her and as she kept on trucking she never complained. I almost had to have her put down but the Lord took her so I didn't have to. A singer/writer I'm sure some of us here know, Jim Stafford, once had in the lyrics of a song of his, "why does a dog only get to live so long, but still has to die old"? Good question. I try and only think of all the good days we had together as I know I will some day be reunited with every dog I ever had. Now that is something to look forward to! We are going to party!!!! Hope you can remember your fine dog the way he remembered you, always happy to see you when you got back home, thrilled just being there with you. Take care and prayers for you and your family. Painman. <>< ;) P.S. Did you know Dog spelled backwards spells God? True love that one is....later....and take care.

I also feel your pain. I had to make the same decision to put down my Australian shepherd of 15 1/2 years because of failing health. I also chose to be present to see and old friend pass on. So many memories over time and so quick to the end.

What a forum this is... souls who've BTDT. Your remarks are indeed comforting. Earlier in my life, I would'nt have admitted my pain... but you guys understand. Priceless. Thank you.

Man, Dr. Watson was a cutie. I bet you loved him dearly.

I am very sorry about your loss. I know you pain because I lost my pal, Tai, of 15 years about 2 years ago.

I have a new buddy now named Bogey, but I will never forget Tai.

Here is my new buddy, Bogey. Maybe this will help you feel a little better.

IMG_0010.jpg

Damn, man. I'm sorry. I feel your pain. It does get better, I'll promise you that.

We, too, lost our Australian Shepherd (a miniature) recently. At 9 years old, he was diagnosed with brain cancer over the summer and I had to put him to sleep on August 14th, following a radical change in his quality of life. Same thing, I chose to hold him while the vet gave him his injection. Like you, I figured I owed him that rather than have him be terrified in the hands of strangers during his last moments. It was awful, but I don't regret it. I knew it would be hard and dreaded the day for a good month after the diagnosis, but I had no idea how hard. Walking out of the vet's office w/o him was horrible. I was devastated - still am, but I can finally talk about it now, though that took a long time. The worst part is that I had my back surgery two weeks after and then spent three months at home. It was a pretty empty house, to say the least, without my pal.

Couple of pics.

My daughter,, Alex and my dog, Mick, at our old house about 4 years ago:

2178983093_fbec8e78fe.jpg

Again, my daughter Alex subjecting Mick to a nearly nightly game of dress up at the old house. He loved it:

2179767718_30d27b13e3.jpg

Earlier in my life, I would'nt have admitted my pain... but you guys understand.
And WOOF to that.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I remember putting my Newfi mix "Dude" down a few years ago. We went to the park and played and had a fun snack, then to the vet and I held my buddies paws and talked him through the transition. I've never cried so much as an adult. I think that dogs above all other creatures, are given to us by God to show us what unconditional love is all about. I feel your pain, been there.

Oh, and you might not want to think about this just yet, as your special friend can never be "replaced" but one of the fastest cures for the pain of loss is the joy that comes with a new puppie!!

Sorry for your loss. Glad you made the decision to end his pain and suffering...take comfort in that.

It gets better...

I'm sorry for your loss too. I have 2 dogs and 4 cats, all within 2 years of each other. So I imagine they will all go within the same timeframe. Just reading your story brings tears to my eyes, as I'm sitting between my dogs. I don't think petless people can comprehend exactly how close you become to animals. They don't grow up and move on, like human kids do. They are there for you and only you (well, maybe you and treats). Hang in there, time does ease the pain, but you never forget.