Farkler's Remorse?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SProkai

Reaction score
So after paying a "professional" a shit load of moolah to install my modulator I have discovered a troubling problem. At night when you toggle the hi/lo beams, the lights will completely dim then come back on and refuse to toggle anymore. This is reproducible behaviour. On a test ride the other night I got it to do this several times. It doesn't happen every time I toggle, but it will eventually happen. The only way to reset it is to turn off the bike and restart it.

I called Signal Dynamics and they suspect that the issue is a "dead spot" in the switch that triggers their safety feature of detecting when lights die and then switching to the other mode (hi or lo) and staying there. The lights on the bike are just fine. They offered to send me a new one but didn't think it would help. They offered a full refund, but then the aforementioned shit load of moolah was a complete waste. I suggested changing the toggle switch, but they didn't think that would help either. WTF?

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve

Easy to install/remove as it is to swap a headlight bulb. Kisan (at least) is plug and play. Just unplug power from the back of the bulb, plug in the modulator to the bulb and the power into the pigtail of the modulator.

Isn't the S.D. version isn't as easy as this?

Easy to install/remove as it is to swap a headlight bulb. Kisan (at least) is plug and play. Just unplug power from the back of the bulb, plug in the modulator to the bulb and the power into the pigtail of the modulator.
Apparently it is much more ivolved than the Kisan. I hate to admit it but I may just have to take it out if this persists. Even .5 seconds of no light, at night, when the bike is leaned over, and there's oncoming traffic is completely unacceptable.

No. It requires cutting and hacking of wires.

So after paying a "professional" a shit load of moolah to install my modulator I have discovered a troubling problem. At night when you toggle the hi/lo beams, the lights will completely dim then come back on and refuse to toggle anymore. This is reproducible behaviour. On a test ride the other night I got it to do this several times. It doesn't happen every time I toggle, but it will eventually happen. The only way to reset it is to turn off the bike and restart it.
I called Signal Dynamics and they suspect that the issue is a "dead spot" in the switch that triggers their safety feature of detecting when lights die and then switching to the other mode (hi or lo) and staying there. The lights on the bike are just fine. They offered to send me a new one but didn't think it would help. They offered a full refund, but then the aforementioned shit load of moolah was a complete waste. I suggested changing the toggle switch, but they didn't think that would help either. WTF?

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Steve
How could this "dead spot" not be an issue on other motorcycles? Weird.

Toggling the high beam switch should turn the modulation off during the daytime, does this feature work on yours?

How could this "dead spot" not be an issue on other motorcycles? Weird.Toggling the high beam switch should turn the modulation off during the daytime, does this feature work on yours?
This unit will modulate in hi and lo. Two quick toggles turns it off. This feature works.

I did some experimenting this evening. I tried toggling really quickly and after about 10 toggles it stopped working. Then I tried toggling very slowly, and I mean very slowly. It stopped working. I am not buying the "dead spot" theory. And you're right, someone else should have had the same issue.

I will have SD send me a new one and enlist some friends who can handle the electronics and see how that goes (which I should have done in the first place). I have to remount the light sensor anyway. The "professionals" put it in a very ineffective spot.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed a similar problem with my SD headlight modulator. Don't ride much at night, so it hasn't bothered me. I'll follow the string and see what you come up with.

Is the light sensor pointing straight up to the sky (unobstructed line of sight)?

If it's pointing somewhere else - or is somehow shielded from the sky (under or nearly under a shelf) then that might be messing up the units little mico-chip brain.

This may not help you but my Comagination unit was cheap ($70 I think) and very easy (plug and play) to install. Even a non-mechanic like me did it. No problems.

Clicky

Steve

I've had my SD unit for 2 years and not noticed this problem at all. I'm going to try it out tonite purposefully. My sensor is pointing down, on the inside of the front wheel well. I'd get a new unit from SD. Other than the install pain, I like this better than the Kisan, particularly if you hook the horn/light feature up.

dgfella