Father & Son SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woot! Looks like it took you right at the same amount of time mine took me. Congrats for both of you. Now send in the paperwork!

The Father & Son SS1000 - The Review

We got started fairly early, 5:06am on Monday, and headed out from the gas station were the manager wouldn't witness for us, but the 50-something lady clerk said, "I will. I have done a couple of these." Apparently Ankeny Iowa is a regular launching pad for IBA rides. Our weather was fantastic, upper 60's heading out, might be called even a tad cold. The nite before we were informed that our intended route had an overnite closure and wouldn't be available at departure, luckily the crew finished up early and we were able to use the north bypass around Des Moines. For a SS1000 we couldn't have asked for better conditions. We had overcast and temps in the high 70's and low 80's all the way to Sterling, CO. Getting across Nebraska in July with temps like that was a blessing. We were making stops around the 180 mile mark, ride for a couple of hours and stop for a little break and fuel. The temps rose into the high 90's as we approached Denver. We made it through Denver before the afternoon rush, we had no slow down in Denver for once. Speaking of slowdowns we had remarkably few the entire trip. The longest slow stretch was 1-80 near Big Spring, NE. Major construction there but only for 9 miles.

We stopped in Roggen, CO for fuel. As we were fueling we were visited by a group of 20 or so members of the Hell's Angels as they pulled in to fuel also. Surprisingly a couple of the Angels struck up a conversation with Jack about his bike and he mentioned we was doing a SaddleSore 1000. The one Angel immediately spoke up, "Double check your receipts! Make sure they have the time and date. You're going to do fine." Apparently there are a few HA folks who are also IBA certified.

Coming up on our next fuel stop in Glenwood Springs, at about the 800 mile mark, I got the call I dreaded in the SENA...."Dad, I am going to need a little encouragement to finish this thing." OK, time for Dad to do something instead of just ride along side. I told him we would make two more stops and I would help him get through it. First stop was the Springs. I made him put down a little more fluid at the stop and gave him a little shoulder and neck rub down as he was starting to get the pinch at the base of his neck between the shoulder blades. (We will be addressing the seat/bar position before the next extended ride.) He soldiered on until Grand Junction and the heat was on. At that stop I pushed more fluid on him and slapped on a wet vest soaked in cold, cold water. That really seemed to pep him up. We hit the Utah border and it was off to the races. Dad was chasing him down. We did hit a little weather right on the border, high cross winds out of the northwest and a little sprinkle. We got of the slab at Cisco and made our way down 128 along the Colorado River.

We rolled up to the pumps at 8:14pm in Moab. His odometer read 3150. That was 1,055 more miles than when we left Ankeny. Paperwork goes off to the IBA this week, but I am pretty sure I have a 17 year old IBA member in my house!

Excellent! My boys are still quite young but I hope one day to share a similar experience with them. Thanks for sharing.

Good meeting Jack at NAFO, and congrats on the ride! You shoulda PM'd me, John, I'd have been happy to witness for your start!

Congrats, on not only on the successful finish, and his indoctrination, but being a great dad!

Very cool! Kind of neat that he got that advice from a 1% like that a gas stop. Don't imagine that happens too often.

Very cool! Kind of neat that he got that advice from a 1% like that a gas stop. Don't imagine that happens too often.
Especially when the rider receiving advice isn't on American Iron.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Nice shaking hands with you two in Montrose. Seems like your boy has a good head on his shoulders -- especially recognizing when he needs a little help.

John and Jack, It was great meeting you both. Had a good time at the hotel and riding with you guys to Creede with Tim and Grace and Cooley. Congrats to "16-pack" Jack on his first IBA.

We received this tidbit in the inbox this morning from the Iron Butt Association...

"This is to Certify that on the 25th of July 2016, Jack Ryan Larish, IBA# 65410, rode a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 a total of 1,031 grueling miles in less than twenty-four hours starting in Ankeny, Iowa; continuing on to Omaha, Nebraska; North Platte, Nebraska; Denver, Colorado; and Grand Junction, Colorado before ending in Moab, Utah while participating in the SaddleSore 1000. The SaddleSore 1000 was conducted under very strict guidelines set forth by the Iron Butt Association. Only a handful of riders from around the world have managed to solve the challenges such a grueling ride involves."

We have an official IBA member who acquired his certification at 17 years of age...I think I have him on the right path.

Tim and Grace, you have time to plan...age 16 is within reach...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is cool, hopefully I can get my son to follow in your son's footsteps and do his first SS next summer!

Congrats to both of you. Those 24 hours will be in his heart and head forever! What an amazing gift to give your son. We need more dad's like you! I was blessed with a great dad who bought me my first bike in the first grade. We spent hours riding little dirt roads and trails in the mountains of Colorado on vacations. I know he will appreciate even more when he gets older........ just how AWESOME his dad was!