Father's Day ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mid 60s to mid 70s, traffic was light, killer lunch, great group of guys. The day was epic. The FJR1300 is an incredible machine

This year has been the fourth year of the new(ish) tradition of taking one of my kids on a Father's Day ride. When he was big enough to reach the pegs, I started with my son, my oldest, then each of my three daughters. My youngest is eight and was rarin' to go. We didn't go too far, but stopped for lunch, then ice cream. Then I couldn't say no to my second oldest girl, so we went for a milkshake. Then I took my son for a longer ride, with a stop for ice cream. Luckily, we've had good weather each year.

One problem is my son is outgrowing the kids gear I have. Got him a new jacket, pants were barely fitting, and helmet, gloves and boots, were a no go. Ordered an HJC helmet and gloves on closeout from motorcyclegear.com. Have to check cycle gear for pants and boots.

It was a great day with great guys. However, I broke off and went to visit a friend. Bad decision. The return to the wetside was a horrendous traffic nightmare.

I sat in the traffic around Cle Elum on Sunday also. Riding partner detoured through Cle Elum and rejoined I -90 on the west side of town to avoid a lot of the traffic. I had never thought of making that little detour before but have stored it away for future use. Also makes a nice break from the freeway for 10 - 15 minutes.

Dennis J, here's another tip. Ride through Cle Elum but go one block north of the main drag on 2nd Ave. Takes you heading to Roslyn, and at the roundabout, follow the signs to Suncadia turnoff, rejoins you to I90, one exit past the west exit of Cle Elum.

If traffic is still bad, take the next exit, Golf Course Rd, turn left, and head to the south side of I90. Turn right at Nelson Siding Rd and follow till it rejoins I90. Saves you about 5 miles of traffic.

Wish I saw this ^^^^ before today Hudson. Freaking 30+ miles of slow traffic, backups and three wrecks, I gave up and spent the night in Ellensburg.

--G

From Ellensburg, I would've taken the 10 into Cle Elam, and the above. But since you live off the two, why no Stevens Pass?

From Ellensburg, I would've taken the 10 into Cle Elam, and the above. But since you live off the two, why no Stevens Pass?
Stevens is always a mess to, even in the early 90's I'd wait till Monday to come home when we had been on the east side camping. Sundays is a two hour trip just to get from Zeke's drive in to Sultan! About a twenty minute drive or ten miles on a normal day.

Now days I just suffer the extra hour and go 20!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator: