Fenda Extenda install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Luke
Reaction score
Just installed my Fenda Extenda and thought I would add a few comments to what has already been posted.

The fjrtech.com link for the original fastener-less install is https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=35

Some have posted they used 2-component 5 minute epoxy from a dual-syringe type applicator with success. But many have used the black ABS cement like the tech site shows. Some prefer the assurance of screws or bolts in addition to glue.

1. Remove the fender first. It is suprisingly simple with four allen head screws. Nothing else need be removed.

2. Wash the fender to remove dirt and road splooge. (Don't tell the wife I used the kitchen sink)

3. Wash the area where the Fenda Extenda fits onto with isopryl alcohol. Remove the double-stick tape and also wash the Fenda Extenda's mounting surface. (Others suggested acetone or MEK but they can damage paint)

4. Sand both mating surfaces with sandpaper to thoroughly etch/roughen them. 220 grit worked well.

5. Place fender upside-down on a soft pad on top of workbench.

6. Apply the adhesive liberally but keep away from the exposed edge that meets the painted fender. The ABS cement can be stringy and can drip so make sure you draw the applicator out of the can while it is over the upside-down fender.

7. Work fast as the adhesive sets quickly. Press into position and hold in place while it sets-up. Best to dry overnight.

8. Made 2nd application of cement to make sure edge of Extenda where it mates to the underside offender had no gaps.

9. Re-installed fender.

Just installed my Fenda Extenda and thought I would add a few comments to what has already been posted.
Good job, Luke. I would add that I recommend you remove ALL the paint on the underside of the fender where the Fenda Extenda mates to it. Also, not all 2 part epoxies will stick to the plastic extenda (PVC?), so best just to lay off of those unless you know exactly what someone else has used with success. I recommend the black PVC cement, PlasticWeld, or Gorilla Glue (or similar). I also used 4 clamps to hold the parts together while the adhesive set up, rather than hold it together by hand.

10 4 on the clamps to make the glue joint as thin as possiable. The glue itself isn't strong but the adhesion is. No screws for me and 3 years later, still O K. Later,,, De :rolleyes: