Final Drive Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pista, now that you've revealed the closely guarded corporate secrets of the oil cabals, you had better be very careful and watch your six. They just may not like this one little bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to live close to a gasoline storage facility when I was a kid.

On any day you could see the tankers from all the major "brands" filling up from the same storage tanks. They may have put different additives in after the tankers were filled, but the basic gasoline was identical.

pista, now that you've revealed the closely guarded corporate secrets of the oil cabals, you had better be very careful and watch your six. They just may not like this one little bit.
smile.png
No worries Pterodactyl.

The lubricant companies are making their fair share, then Yamaha makes a tidy profit as well.

Marketing is very effective and there will always be consumers willing to pay more for a product they perceive is better.

We used to live close to a gasoline storage facility when I was a kid.
On any day you could see the tankers from all the major "brands" filling up from the same storage tanks. They may have put different additives in after the tankers were filled, but the basic gasoline was identical.
Twigg, nothing gets added to gasoline after it's loaded at the rack. There may be some additives injected into the batch, while the transport is loading, to satisfy a particular branded product however. That's typically in premium gasoline only.

Diesel fuel may be additized after it's loaded for lubricity or to increase the cetane level. In the winter either an anti-gel additive is added by some brands or the diesel is blended with #1 diesel by others.

Gasoline and diesel are fungible products.

I'm fascinated by the amount spent on ads touting a particular gasoline when they're piped and distributed through common lines and terminals. Perhaps I should say I'm fascinated that they're effective. I wonder who or what group of individuals came up with the idea or the specification to make a (Yamaha) shaft drive lubricant marketed as being specifically for two motorcycle models (FJR/Vmax) alone. Pretty odd stuff.

At what point in the distribution system is the ethanol added to the gasoline? A local fuel distributor offers gasoline without ethanol too.

I use the ethanol free fuel in my two-stroke string trimmer engine.

I would bet it's added locally by the distributor when they introduce their additives. All the fuel that comes out if the depot is the same, as it all gets mixed together at the introduction point. It's after it gets to its destination for "local" distribution that it gets that brand's additives.

How is ethanol fuel transported, stored and distributed?

Most of California's current ethanol fuel supply is delivered from the producing states via standard rail tank cars, with some import shipments via marine vessels. It is then stored at fuel terminals and added to gasoline when tank trucks are filled for delivery to fueling stations, where it is stored and dispensed the same as non-ethanol gasoline.

https://www.consumerenergycenter.org/transportation/afvs/ethanol.html

When I lived in Alaska there two refineries in the state. All of the interior was served by the refinery in North Pole. Ownership of the refinery seemed to change every few years, but every station regardless of brand got their fuel from the same tanks and delivered in the same trucks. Any claims of special blends and additives were pure hokum. That refinery has since closed and now the entire state is served by one refinery on the Kenai Peninsula. At least there is no ethanol in Alaskan fuel.

How is ethanol fuel transported, stored and distributed?
By the Irish, of course...

Ethanol cannot be sent via pipeline. It is, as Twigg pointed out, shipped by railcar.

The ethanol is blended in the transport truck as part of the batch ordered. For example if you request a batch of 2000 gallons of gas, the first 200 gallons are ethanol followed by 1800 gallons of gasoline.

Fuel terminals that don't have rail siding have it trucked in from a nearby storage facility. It's not uncommon for a truck to deliver a load of ethanol then go to a rack at the same facility and load gas or diesel for delivery.

Timely thread. Time to change the FD oil, and I suspected that this august bunch had debunked the need to use the YamaGold. Just happen to have some Mobil 1 on the shelf.

Also have some RedLine...anybody got experience with it? I haven't looked to confirm GL-5 spec.

So I have this quart of royal purple 75-140 full synth and no where to use it. Could I use this in the Feej or will it explode at terminal velocity?

Dave

So I have this quart of royal purple 75-140 full synth and no where to use it. Could I use this in the Feej or will it explode at terminal velocity?
Dave
Dave,

I would stick with an 80W90 of your preferance
Thanks, figured I would ask. I bought it for my Ford Edge but wasn't able to use it. I have to change the FD oil this week and I do have the regular GL-5. Expensive crap that will sit on the shelf for now.

Dave

don't shoot, lol

so is the m1 75-90 ls able to be used in a 16 final drive ??

or should i get some yamaha something ?? i have a qt left from my c14.

getting close to my 600, next few days.

hearing i should have changed the final drive several times in the first 200 miles, along with the oil at like 50, 200, ??? hell i dont know.

asked the selling dealer , they said 600 was more than ok, and only do it if it makes me feel good, he would not. ??

thanks, tough change from green to blue guys. learning as i go. only been a few days.

600 is good for the first one. M1 75-90 is just fine. Once a year after that or if you see milky (moisture accumulation) halfway through the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the oem oil for my 14. Its about the same price as the rest and you get multiple changes with a bottle. Use the oem then you have no worries or concerns. I think im on my 3rd change with the bottle.

Latest posts