Final drive repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you sitting on the edge of your seat, waiting to find out....did the repair work? Is Rads wheel clean? Did Mobil1 destroy the quality seal Mammy Yammi installed? Is Rad really Johnny Wa.....ahem. No leaks. In fact, the seal was probably bad all along, just never as obvious as it had become. Franks back wheel had always had a predilection for accumulating crud-as my first shaftie, I was not concerned as my chainers had always been much worse. Well, the back wheel is still spotless, much cleaner after several hundred miles than it ever has been, including when brand spanking new. I can only surmise the seal had been dribbling ever so lightly all along, the erosion I found may have been a defective o-ring, or a dry install had chewed it up enough to cause micro-tears, not unheard of in o-ring installs-hence warnings to always lube seals liberally when installing. I had thought there was another possibility-and so checked to see that yes, indeed, there was lube in there to leak out if it was gonna. No Beemer Burns for this clown. End of report.
Thanks for being part of my ongoing FJR edu macation Rad. 'Preciate it.

nice write up on this.

My '05 FJR with 55k miles started getting the splooge on the rear wheel while at SFO '08.

I replaced the $10 "O" ring seal per above after I got back (easy job) and it fixed the minor leak issue right up.

Last edited by a moderator:
My name don't begin with no J. Ain't gonna happen. Besides, it's not that common a repair, not like setting the valves or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Rad!!

Is Frank sporting some new pipes? There's no tell tail impact from a rubber mallet anywhere. :D

Thanks for the very informative post! I find myself doing less 'serious' maintenance on my bikes but you certainly took the mystery out of this operation.