First scratch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sworch

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Left work a little after midnight all geared up with some good tunes playing. I felt something hit my foot on my right. I didn't see any debris so I thought maybe a cat? Rabbit? something small. After a mile my mind went to ________. You guessed it. Side cowl. I felt down and it wasnt smooth. Spun around and did find it. Was not hit so I unzipped the jacket and shoved it in. After getting home I see the scratches. The bike makes it 10 years without a scratch and this is how it gets it :cry:. So with that has anyone tried to powder theirs? Cerakote is around two hours at 230 degrees (there is a slow cure at 150-180) and people do stocks with it but there is not a color I desire. I dont think it will take a lot of heat but should be able to take some?

AFAIK, the plastics are ABS material. This will NOT do well at 230°F.
ABS plastic dissolves in acetone. You could (carefully) put a drop on the inside of the panel, wait a minute and wipe with a Q-tip to see how it reacts to confirm the polymer.
PVC is less commonly used for motorcycle parts and (depending on the variety) MIGHT have a higher softening temperature. (PVC reacts less to acetone than ABS so that might help with the ID.)

I don't think that any sort of powdercoat is the safest way to handle it.

What year (color) is the bike? Wondering if a contrasting color might look OK - easier to paint if you don't need a color match.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to which piece exactly? Like Ross said, powder coating plastic not a good idea. Also why powder coat? I'd take it to a body shop to fill, sand and paint.

Bigger question is why did it just fall off? I'd check all your fasteners.

Cover with some reflective (Alex - Black Hills Moto) decals? How deep / bad are the scratches? Check for body parts on eBay and see what's available. Many options for replacement.

Good luck!

~G

AFAIK, the plastics are ABS material. This will NOT do well at 230°F.
ABS plastic dissolves in acetone. You could (carefully) put a drop on the inside of the panel, wait a minute and wipe with a Q-tip to see how it reacts to confirm the polymer.
PVC is less commonly used for motorcycle parts and (depending on the variety) MIGHT have a higher softening temperature. (PVC reacts less to acetone than ABS so that might help with the ID.)

I don't think that any sort of powdercoat is the safest way to handle it.

What year (color) is the bike? Wondering if a contrasting color might look OK - easier to paint if you don't need a color match.
Its the '13 gray. I've added some color to it already. I think I might get some Dupla-color and go with Yamaha blue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 1.12.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 1.12.51 AM.png
    541.7 KB · Views: 11
I'm curious as to which piece exactly? Like Ross said, powder coating plastic not a good idea. Also why powder coat? I'd take it to a body shop to fill, sand and paint.

Bigger question is why did it just fall off? I'd check all your fasteners.
Thats what happened. The broken fastener was still attached but the pin is lost now. May have been that way when I bought it and just the friction held it in place. No idea. NRA Blue Ceracoat is real close to Yamaha blue. So thats why I was thinking of a coating. IF it was able to be powder coat there is a candy blue I liked

Cover with some reflective (Alex - Black Hills Moto) decals? How deep / bad are the scratches? Check for body parts on eBay and see what's available. Many options for replacement.

Good luck!

~G
Thats a nice idea. That solid silver logo looks really good. I take it the decal is clear? I did actually look at old school yellow. Hurricane Hannah days.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 1.25.15 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 1.25.15 AM.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-10-26 1.24.20 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 1.24.20 AM.png
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thats a nice idea. That solid silver logo looks really good. I take it the decal is clear? I did actually look at old school yellow. Hurricane Hannah days.
Decals are not clear. Alex @BHM uses 3M black reflective vinyl. Tough stuff, fairly easy to apply and reflects great with night lighting. An alternative, is buying the same 3M material on Amazon and make your own reflective patterns. I've added some tasteful accents to my FJR and Tenere with the material.

~G

I take it this is the panel that covers the access to the radiator overflow if on the left side. You seemed to indicate your bike is a 2013. If that is the case, are the panels not flat black? Also, you mentioned the fastener was broken. That single fastener if pretty robust and cannot imagine it breaking. Are you sure you did ot mean the plastic flange that meets up with the fastener is broken?

I take it this is the panel that covers the access to the radiator overflow if on the left side. You seemed to indicate your bike is a 2013. If that is the case, are the panels not flat black? Also, you mentioned the fastener was broken. That single fastener if pretty robust and cannot imagine it breaking. Are you sure you did ot mean the plastic flange that meets up with the fastener is broken?
this is the right side cowl cover that is adjustable "winter/summer" for heat control on the legs. They are flat black. The clip is on the rearward side of the panel. Its very thin spring steel. It was still attached but 1/3 of it is gone. the side that would have had the twist pin inserted into it.
What I believe is part 38 is what is broke and I have lost part 49.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-27 2.56.01 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 2.56.01 AM.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh THAT panel. Personally I'd buy the missing piece, plasti-weld a new tab then sand and rattle can it flat back.

Or for $132 buy a new piece.
bought a new one. The replacement clips are thicker also. Silver stamped steel instead of the black spring steel. I think I'm going to wrap them. Something in a candied blue color. want the pop of color

Well if someone has the need for ABS Repair, this is a GREAT kit... AND they also sell the plastic "bullet/buttons" that break off so you can use this repair/glue/adhesive to attach another one on your stock piece.
My experience: worked very well when I had to fix my friend's CBR600 oem seat sides.
Here's the site:
https://easyabsrepair.com/shop/

Well the wrap is done. I like the extra color. I will probably choose another color later. It was $40 total so not a big hit. I think it made the gray look darker. Could just be the lighting since the candy red looks dark too.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpg
    IMG_1903.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
The color of the safety warning sticker still stuck on your gas tank is f'ing up the "pop" of your color palette.

May I suggest you take another "hit" and rewrap with a Magenta color twice as dark as the safety cages?

p.s., I'm taking a hit and looking at magenta color swatches too. Happy Wednesday Mofo's! 🏍️

The color of the safety warning sticker still stuck on your gas tank is f'ing up the "pop" of your color palette.

May I suggest you take another "hit" and rewrap with a Magenta color twice as dark as the safety cages?

p.s., I'm taking a hit and looking at magenta color swatches too. Happy Wednesday Mofo's! 🏍️
That’s not a sticker on the tank. It’s the reflection of my CarPlay screen