FJR 1300 fork brace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No cupping on the new T30 stones, but damn, they do not last that long. I have no problems with my front end, but would like to try a fork brace just to see if it does anything. Since I am properly sprung for my weight and have gold valves installed, not sure it would do much.

Probably be more effective on the 2014 ES model, considering its willowy 43mm forks, as opposed to the Gen I, II and Gen III A models with their more manly, robust 48mm forks.
You dork! How are you going to put a fork brace on the inner (lower) fork legs of an USD fork? Through the wheel?
rolleyes.gif

The ES inner legs are very short and will not have the leverage applied to flex them like the RSU (Right Side Up) forks have.
Never said it COULD be done, only that it would be more effective, considering the difference in the sliding tube diameters.

Signed,

"The Dork"

edit: Just finished reading your "First time for everything..." thread....congrats! So, now you're an ES eggspurt??? Time to crank up that post count! :D :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha... No not an eggspurt about ES at all yet. I'm going to go back and read up some of the threads and posts already laid down by the guys that have led the way on these new beasts. Oh yeah... I got me some learnin' to do.

But I surely know a dork when I see one!!

bleh.gif

PS - I do not know this to be a fact, but since the inner tubes are relatively short on the ES, it may be that they were less concerned about the weight and increased the tube wall thickness or used a different steel alloy. Just because they are smaller diameter does not automatically mean the tubing is more flexible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just measured tube diameter where one would put a fork brace on an ES and its 54mm.

A Gen 1 is about 68 mm where the brace attaches near the top of the body. It's 58 further down along the tube as a reference point.

So, my thoughts are fork braces from non ES bikes aren't going to just bolt on.

I want to thank Geezer for the fork brace he sent to me! I put it on the bike and like most of you have said, it doesn't really do anything. I think the steering might be a little tighter, if you will. I have told Geezer that I have noticed a bit of "wobble" with the handlebars when I take my hands off. It seems to have less now that the fork brace is on but, it is still there. It is not enough to bother me when I have my hands on the handlebars. I only noticed it because I was trying to adjust my gloves and took my hands off the handlebars. It only happens around 45 MPH. Oh well, I will be able to put up with it. I have had this bike for 3 years this coming October and it is the best bike I have ever had! if this is the worst problem that I will have, then my luck is changing for the good!! I was a little worried when I bought the bike. It is a 2003 and, it only had 12,xxx miles on it when I bought it. I was wondering what could be wrong with it. I haven't found anything and I am still looking. I now have 25,xxx miles and I am looking for many many more miles!

Latest posts