FJR Madness, Now It Begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
Made the trek to OTD Cyclesports/LA Yamaha in Marina Del Ray yesterday to take possession of my new 2007 "A". OTD makes the sales process easy, and we were in and out in less than an hour. If you are looking for a "new" 2007, this is the place! $11,999 out-the-door is the deal of the century.

Trailering the bike north on the 405 is like riding off-road, and I swear on my vintage Yamaha IT490 (any old-school dirt bikers will know) I could have "gotten air" off the bumps and washboards. Thanks to those that had earlier offered tie-down advise (LSUBOY with pics and all).

We (Dad - he who rides the Gold Wing) and I made it back home after 200 miles of watching the feejer in my mirrors to make sure the canyon dancers and tie downs didn't move, and they did indeed hold fast!

I was only able to take a quick 7 mile spin last night, but what a machine! Clearly the FJR was made to perfrom, and perfrom very well.

Initial thoughts:

1. Came with Metzler Z6 tires. Others I had looked at locally were shod with Bridgestones, so this was a pleasant surprise.

2. For my height (6ft) I believe a taller windshield will be in order. Even at the highest level, there seemed to be a lot of buffeting. I have watched various threads on those available and will see what makes sense.

3. Shifting is unique as compared to my prior FXDX. It seems loading the shift lever prior to executing the actual shift makes the transition a smoother affair. Perhaps time and miles on the tranny/clutch will help out.

4. In concert with the taller screen, heli-bars seems to make sense, but I viewed the great pics/descrition of installing the Gen II system and that may be beyond what I want to personally tackle. May be other manufacturers have a system that does not require removal of the upper triple. I felt like I was leaning quite a bit and would prefer to be back a bit.

5. I actually liked (initially) the seat in the lower position as I felt more "in" the bike rather than on top of it. But, we see after a longer ride.

6. The bags are incredibly easy to take on and off - and even include liners. Yamaha thought out this system very well.

7. In checking the VIN, it appears my bike will have the altitude issues discussed here on the site. As riding in the Sierras is much of what I do, that will be discussed when I take in for the 600 mi doctor's appointment.

I am very much anticipating that first burst from 6,000rpm to 8,000rpm, and watching the scenery disappear.

Let the farkling begin.

Ciao Baby.

Congrats.

I did the same think the first week of April.

I too had the throttle jerkiness shift change problem.

The new ECU made a bit of a difference, and I have now installed a PowerCommander. Even with the base setting in the PC, there is a BIG difference.

However, what I would have liked to do was the G2 throttle body swap, but the dealers didn't understand what I was talking about, so we went the PC route.

Anyways, I'm liking the bike more and more as I get it sorted and farkled. I know you will too.

Jordylad - I cut outta work early today and put 70 miles on the feejer. I think the tranny is loosening a bit already, either that, or I'm getting the "feel" of shifting to avoid the lurch.

Anyway, I hope you too enjoy your FJR and keep the shiny side up.

Go Giants (sorry, I just had to do that to a OC guy).

:hi: Welcome to the collective.

:bike: Assimilation has begun.

May you enjoy it greatly :exclamation:

Last edited by a moderator:
BnFF - Thanks. B)

You NoCal guys! Geees. You have the best places to ride all around you. I have to travel each year and cruise those roads around Gold Country, Tahoe, and parts north. Lucky dog! ;)

I used to take the Duc on my NoCal trips then I sold it and last year I took the FeeJ for the first time. My buddy was on his TL. I was having a blast! It was like being in my easy chair but corning well. I was comfortable and not tired, I could just ride on. It's great. :yahoo:

Enjoy the new FeeJ. :D

:hi: Welcome to the collective. :bike: Assimilation has begun.

May you enjoy it greatly :exclamation:
Lyrics by " The Dead". You are alright!
Yeah, back in '88 I followed a chick :coolsmiley03: :angel: and some friends :fans: from Little Rock to Alpine Valley Wisconsin to see some shows :good: . It was all over after that. She didn't pan out :evilsmiley: , but the music did :jerry:

:crazy: :crazy: :jerry: :crazy: :crazy: :jerry: :crazy: :crazy: :jerry: :crazy: :crazy:

Last edited by a moderator: