FJR Rider Assistance Directory

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRIDER007

Reaction score
Is there any interest on this Forum of putting together a FJR Rider Assistance Directory?

About 15 years ago I belonged to a motorcycle club (Rider Club??) that had a published Member Directory that was also coded to show which members were available to help other members that were traveling through the area and needed assistance of some kind. A member could volunteer to be available for different levels of assistance and it could be as simple as volunteering to give directions or recommendations over the phone or volunteering to help fix mechanical and tire problems and/or providing lodging.

Anyone needing a dealer's service in my area (South Central Washington) better need it during the week because all the dealerships are closed on Sunday and Monday. I am just a home mechanic but have a garage, tire changer, pretty complete set of tools, and a Wells Cargo motorcycle trailer. FJRs are pretty reliable but tires can pick up some pretty strange things and there is nothing worse than seeing the cord showing on the back tire when you are still a thousand miles from home. I go through a lot tires so it would not that big of inconvenience to stock a set during the summer. I also am the sole occupant of a 4 bedroom home and it would be fun to meet some of the other members of this Forum who are passing through my area.

I don't think anyone providing assistance should expect to be reimbursed for anything except the actual out of pocket expenses they may incur (such as a new tire) but if those receiving assistance want to make a contribution to this Forum then that would be cool.

Back to the original question, is there any interest in such a FJR Rider Assistance Directory?

A great idea 007, it would be nice to see if there is any interest, I would certainly offer up what I could. I think this would have to be off forum though, as most would not want to be posting up addresses phone numbers that could be used by others for solicitation.

It could be something like emailing someone like yourself all the info. knowing it would be compiled an could be made available to FJR owners for a fee. It would need to be updated with new members and changes annually. It could be a rather daunting task....but still a good idea. OR just join the GWRA and get the Gold Book, you don't have to be a GoldWing rider, and it is a huge membership already established.

On another forum I associate with, there is a similar system in place. It's a great resource. Subscribers are sent monthly email updates and each lists what levels of assistance they can offer (i.e. garage space, tools, place to sleep, etc...). Then the traveler just prints out the info and tucks it away, hopefully not to be needed for purposes other than a friendly visit along the travel route. Great idea!

Great idea! I may be moving again soon, but expect to land in another abode with a garage and have a pretty good complement of tools and an '05 Service Manual.

Great idea! I may be moving again soon, but expect to land in another abode with a garage and have a pretty good complement of tools and an '05 Service Manual.
Wow, you must really like moving. At least you're probably still packed from the last move, eh?

There is a club.

It's called Help n Hands from the AMA. I've been a member since it started in the late 80's.

But I'll be the first to post the welcome mat. If you're ever travelling through NJ, let me know. I've got connections. ;)

put me in .need anything while passing the 5 boros of n.y.c just e mail me for my telephone number .

I think its a great idea, especially when the dealerships are closed, or your out late at night stuck....or got kicked out of the house..lol

I live in the southwest corner of Ks. Would always welcome another rider if there is trouble. Let me know if some kind of list is made up. Will gladly supply cell phone number and area. Thanks.

Great idea!  I may be moving again soon, but expect to land in another abode with a garage and have a pretty good complement of tools and an '05 Service Manual.
Wow, you must really like moving. At least you're probably still packed from the last move, eh?
Nope, hate it, and not still packed, but with all the moves in the last couple years, I'm finally starting to get stuff thinned out (except number of motorcycles). :blink:

+1 on an emailed list. Could be in spreadsheet form to make it more easy to update.

Include me as well - between FJRandy and me we have North and Central NJ covered. ;)

Well folks I will be happy to volunteer to create and maintain a spreadsheet of folks who would like to be a part of this. I will look at some other lists today and see what information is needed from each person. I will assume any member can be on the monthy mailing list even if they are unable to offer assistance. That said I think there is always some assistance we can offer even if it is just making a phone call for someone.

I will ask the moderators to Pin a post with the information for the spreadsheet and my email (I will set up a new email address for this) so you can get on the mailing list.

gypsy