FJR to Super Tenere, regrets, pluses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious. When I rode the S10 it had the same awful off to on throttle that my FJR (07) suffered. Rode it back to back with a 2012 FJR that was smooth as butter. I really liked the S10 but was put off by that fueling. Is there any fix for it on the S10. Power Commander I'd suppose.

Just curious. When I rode the S10 it had the same awful off to on throttle that my FJR (07) suffered. Rode it back to back with a 2012 FJR that was smooth as butter. I really liked the S10 but was put off by that fueling. Is there any fix for it on the S10. Power Commander I'd suppose.
I found that doing the throttle body sync made a huge difference. It wasn't that it was an on/off throttle so much, as it was an off-idle leanness that for some people was a stumble. Further info:

https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1973.0

Some folks have simply shaved the throttle tube, similar to the fix done to some of the FJRs a few years ago. btw - many of the Super Tenere components are shared with the FJR, so I wouldn't be surprised if the FJR throttle tube would bolt right in. (But don't know for sure!)

Add the 15 hp increase from the clutch lever mod and it's a different bike.

Very interesting. I'd like to ride one of those with the proper modifications. It was so comfy, and I was amazed at how much the motor smoothed out when you put the throttle in the cruise position. Of course, even a crack of the throttle and that motor moves into "How fast do you want to go" grunt really quickly. I enjoyed everything except the corners, and could really relate the behavior of my FJR to that of the S10 when I got it. Kind of surprised me reading up on the fixes that Yamaha did to the FJR in 08 but it seemed they made the same mistakes on the S10. I figured it was something that could be fixed though.

Of course in the end I could afford neither a new S10 nor a new FJR. I had to buy used, and the market for the FJR was MUCH more favorable. Add in my short legs and the fact that I've been lusting after an FJR for a few years and I walked away from the S10 with the determination that the FJR would be in my garage. I wonder how they get along as a pair in the garage? :D

Strange, this is the first time I've read this thread and now I realize that when I opened the thread it started at Checkswrecks's post. Dang, now I got to go back and read!

Didn't anyone think to mention the Ducati multistrada & KTM supermoto t (smt) to the mix :dntknw: ...... both are way lighter & faster then the 10.....just asking.....

I am very close to making the leap from an FJR to a S10. I bought a KTM Adventure a while ago and loved having the capability of going off-road without sacrificing much on-road, but the KTM had a bit too much "character" for me. I prefer Yamaha's solid reliability, and the 2 hour oil changes on the KTM were ridiculous.

Another bike in the big ADV bike category that seems to get overlooked often is the DL1000 V-strom. After not exporting them to the US for a couple of years, Suzuki has decided that there is in fact a market for large displacement ADV bikes here (doh!) and has brought it back for 2012 essentially unchanged. Clicky

The reason I mention it, aside from me loving mine, is that compared to all of the others in the category, it is considerably less expensive (msrp $10.4k), less complicated (no fly by wire, traction control or ABS), but still has fuel injection, is considerably lighter (525 lbs wet) and there is a mega-ton of aftermarket stuff available. The 1000cc engine is also quite intoxication. Based on the old SV1000 sport bike engine, with a 90 degree V-twin and a 9500 rpm redline, it sounds (and feels) a lot like my old Ducati did.

I love my FJR. But if I could only have one bike in the garage it would be a DL1000. It does everything (short of gnarly single track) very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another bike in the big ADV bike category that seems to get overlooked often is the DL1000 V-strom. After not exporting them to the US for a couple of years, Suzuki has decided that there is in fact a market for large displacement ADV bikes here (doh!) and has brought it back for 2012 essentially unchanged. Clicky

The reason I mention it, aside from me loving mine, is that compared to all of the others in the category, it is considerably less expensive (msrp $10.4k), less complicated (no fly by wire, traction control or ABS), but still has fuel injection, is considerably lighter (525 lbs wet) and there is a mega-ton of aftermarket stuff available. The 1000cc engine is also quite intoxication. Based on the old SV1000 sport bike engine, with a 90 degree V-twin and a 9500 rpm redline, it sounds (and feels) a lot like my old Ducati did.

I love my FJR. But if I could only have one bike in the garage it would be a DL1000. It does everything (short of gnarly single track) very well.
Interesting. I know a lot of guys who love there Man-Strom but after putting 100 miles or so on them on several different occasions I can tell you that bike does absolutely nothing for me.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Fred -

I like the Strom and it is a great bike. I could ride either the S10 or our DL1000 to NERDs and there's no question about which Karen and I will be on. The Tenere is heavier and should come stock with the bars. But it is an evolutionary better step, especially if off of paved roads.

Look forward to seeing you there.

I know a lot of guys who love there Man-Strom but after putting 100 miles or so on them on several different occasions I can tell you that bike does absolutely nothing for me.
DL: I can do that.

FJR: I can do it faster.

DL: I can change directions really good.

FJR: Once I pick a direction, I can do it faster.

DL: I am rugged.

FJR: I am a precision machine.

DL: I cost less.

FJR: I have an adjustable windshield.

DL: I get 55 MPG.

FJR: Didn't I already point out I'm faster?

DL: I have flat torque curve.

FJR: I go faster the more you spin me.

DL: You're overweight.

FJR: I'm stable.

DL: I work good in dirt.

FJR: How many brewpubs are on dirt roads?

DL: You're delicate.

FJR: You're ugly.

I like the Strom and it is a great bike. I could ride either the S10 or our DL1000 to NERDs and there's no question about which Karen and I will be on. The Tenere is heavier and should come stock with the bars. But it is an evolutionary better step, especially if off of paved roads.
I've not yet tested an S10. That might turn out to be an expensive mistake. :p Luckily the cost of admission keeps me away. But, maybe in a few years when there are glut of S10's on the used market... who knows? :unsure:

I am surprised to hear you say that you think the S10 is better on dirt roads. I assumed with the added weight, shaft drive and electronic BS it wouldn't be. I prefer chain drive because I can tailor my gearing for the riding at hand with an easy countershaft sprocket swap. I have mine geared down one tooth in the front and up three in the back, and it rails down the dirt roads as fast as I want to go. ;) If I was going to slab cross country to AK or something I'd go back to stock gearing where the engine loafs in 6th gear at 85 mph.

To those comparing the FJR to either (any) of these ADV Tour bikes, it is really apples and oranges. On the road the comparison isn't even close. The FJR wins hands down, especially 2-up. But... there is a lotta world out there that isn't paved. And that world has far fewer cars and people, which makes it a more fun destination in my books.

I see it this way, the FJR is like a razor sharp carving knife, and these ADV bikes are more like jack-knives. The FJR does what it does very well, but it doesn't help you open cans. ;) So, if you had to limit yourself to just one tool would you want it to be a carving-knife or a jack-knife? :unsure:

Lucky for me I can have multiple tools... ;)

I see it this way, the FJR is like a razor sharp carving knife
As much as I love my FJR, it's kind of a dull heavy machete. It's big and beats it's way through. Try out a real razor sharp carving knife sometime. If you really want fun though, try a supermoto. That's a surgical scalpel for certain! :D

Here's yer jackknife...

img.jpg

I should grab a pic of the FJR and ST living harmoniously in my garage...I've been riding the FJR the past couple of days, and will be taking the ST into work today. I love being able to choose which bike to take based on my needs for the day, but if I could only have one, it would be the ST. It's plenty fast in the twisties (right SkooterG?), stable as can be on the road, and the ability to take just about any road I see make it the perfect all-rounder.

I should grab a pic of the FJR and ST living harmoniously in my garage...I've been riding the FJR the past couple of days, and will be taking the ST into work today. I love being able to choose which bike to take based on my needs for the day, but if I could only have one, it would be the ST. It's plenty fast in the twisties (right SkooterG?), stable as can be on the road, and the ability to take just about any road I see make it the perfect all-rounder.
I don't know dude, my grandmother could have ridden faster than you that day in Salt River Canyon.

:finger:

I really like BMW's 1200GS. That bike speaks to me. Unfortunately, the cheaper V-Strom does not.

I'll have to try that FAT pig of a SuperT someday. As well as Triumph's 800 and 1200 varieties.