FJR Update in Rider Mag.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Just got my November RIDER... page 52 has a brief review of the 2008 to update the status of the FJR package. The article was written by the mag's editor, Mark Tuttle Jr.

Noteworthy comments: 2003 introduction, bikes were good but not perfect, heat fixed in 2006, throttle messed up at same time, throttle fixed for 2008. Std. ABS, runs on unleaded, 125hp at RW and 26k valve service interval are great. Author adjusted seat and bars for better comfort and comments that the trick to moving th bars to to loosen both - we know this, natch. Improvements outstanding: windscreen (author put on a Cee Bailey flip and states would cut stock screen down for summer use). Comments on lawyers' ridiculous expectation that topcase and side bags not to be simultaneously used - does not refute, but claims to have loaded them up with his wife and went on a 5 day trip without incident. Other improvement: author liked the color but recommends something else due to dirt buildup.

So.... all in all, exactly what we already know about this bike: with a couple of minor improvements, it is the most kickingest-assest machine available.

Oh, and on that color... may I suggest a shade of Galaxy Blue - clearly the finest choice of color for this bike to date. It comes with the odd, yet welcome, benefit of being a MUCH faster motorcycle as well. ;)

-BD

Edit and P.S. There is also an article on a tour of Big Bend Nat Park, and the author is on a 2004 FJR. She apparantly drops it along the way in a slow, on-gravel manueuver...

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and on that color... may I suggest a shade of Galaxy Blue - clearly the finest choice of color for this bike to date.

Really? I always thought the shade darker Cobalt Blue of the 06 looked much niceer...with the silver metalic specks in the paint it just seems more impressive. But, oh, that must be what you were trying to say when you said "a shade of Galaxy Blue"..... you did mean the 06 Cobalt Blue...sorry, nevermind..

KM

Oh, and on that color... may I suggest a shade of Galaxy Blue - clearly the finest choice of color for this bike to date. It comes with the odd, yet welcome, benefit of being a MUCH faster motorcycle as well. ;)
ANYTHING'S better'n the '07 ghey Dr. Pepper color!

Read it. Good news for those of us who bought this bike.

I love confirmation that I made a good buy :)

Gerry

[SIZE=12pt]So what did Yamaha do to improve the throttle situation on the '08 models? Is there an update or fix for the '07 model?[/SIZE]

ANYTHING'S better'n the '07 ghey Dr. Pepper color!
Do you have "color" envy? Or is it something deeper. :p

I really don't know,

My '08 is still very difficult for me to modulate after 2400mi. of riding. So, if they did something to it I am not necessarily seeing it.

I know some mess with the throttle spring to loosen the return a bit. I'm sure that would help but I'm not fooling with that.

Still a great bike.

[SIZE=12pt]So what did Yamaha do to improve the throttle situation on the '08 models? Is there an update or fix for the '07 model?[/SIZE]

Check here for the procedure to release the throttle return spring. I also bought the G2 throttle tube and added a Cramp Buster. Throttle on my 07 works like a dream now. The procedure is well documented and the only thing I did different was to take the rear tank bolt out so I could move it further back instead of proping it up. All you have to do from there is locate the center throttle return spring and with a small screw driver pry it loose and it will release one turn and reattach itself like magic. Here's the link I found in the Bin of Faqs :yahoo:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=18322&hl=

I really don't know,
My '08 is still very difficult for me to modulate after 2400mi. of riding. So, if they did something to it I am not necessarily seeing it.

I know some mess with the throttle spring to loosen the return a bit. I'm sure that would help but I'm not fooling with that.

Still a great bike.

I really don't know,

Still a great bike.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Go ahead and "fool" with it. The center spring is the "lawyer" spring and is not needed or desirable for ease of riding. Once you do it you will wonder why you didn't do it long ago. The throttle will still snap shut. There are three springs. Trust me you only need two. Later