FJR vs Harley V-Rod comparison anyone?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendfjr

Reaction score
Newbee and Just joined this forum today.

All that I've read makes me excited about a FJR to replace a truly great bike, the Harley V-Rod.

Can someone provide real life ride comparisons to the V-Rod and a FJR? Mileage, twisties, passenger comfort, rider comfort, etc.

I'm 50 and have had bikes since 8 ! All dirt bikes until I bought a Yamaha 750 Virago two years ago; not to excited and almost abandoned the thought of street bikes. But sold that and bought a Suzuki Vstroum. Much better until I saw a HD V-Rod, Wow. Amazing engineering, fit and finish. Have logged 6,000 miles in 8 months, one trip to MO, WY, CO and back. The V-Rod is a great bike, just would like more wind protection and a bit better twisties ability. So, now I'm ready to try a FJR. Found one in NV, 06 that looks great. But sure would like to try one before commiting to a trip to NV.

Scott

Bend, OR

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have you PM Carla, who owns 2 V-Rods and an FJR, but she is not active on the forums, let alone, has email. :blink: What I can tell you is that in the 3 or 4 years that I've ridden with her only once has she ridden the V-Rod.

I rented a Vrod in Vegas and damn near dropped it coming to a stop in the parking lot. I enjoyed the power of the bike but felt I had to muscle it all the time. The one I rode had the foot pegs too far forward for my liking. I felt I had to use too much effort just to keep my feet on the pegs. I'm sure I would have got used to the bike if I rode it longer. The FJR to me, was a great fit. Right from the first ride I loved it because it fit me perfect. I went from a sport bike to the FJR. I like the windshield and the more upright seating. The power is awesome. Having just returned from a 3 week 5300km ride I can tell you that I still feel the bike is the perfect fit.

My 2 cents

Rob

100_2480.jpg

Thanks guys, these replies are confirming what I read.

If we were just voting on looks and the quatity of attention, the Vrod would win. In a group ride of all other types of bikes, the Vrod always rx's the most attention. Anyway, looks is nice and the FJR has looks, but the FJR seems to win in performance.

Rob, would you say the FJR suspension is far superior or a bit better than the V-Rod?

that I've read makes me excited about a FJR to replace a truly great bike, the Harely V-Rod. Can someone provide real life ride comparisons to the V-Rod and a FJR? Mileage, twisties, passenger comfort, rider comfort, etc.

Scott

Bend, OR
Pretty limited experience, but a coworker was in the market for a new Harley and a couple of the local dealerships are incredibly willing to let people take off on their new toys. I tried a V-Rod, a night Rod, a 1200 Dyna low (TWO coworkers ended up buying those), another bike that Harley thought was a cafe racer (can't even think of the model name) because it had all the uncomfortable characteristics you tolerate in a sport bike, but this thing had a V-twin motor (heavy and short on available RPM range, nuff said)..., and finally some POS (bobber low?) that about jangled my arms out of their sockets at everything from 700 - 4K RPM.

Anyhow, back to the V-Rod and night Rod. Reasonable acceleration, felt very good up to about 75 mph, the overall riding position was okay. What absolutely dumbfounded me was they stuck the fricken' horn out the left side of the motor where your knee needed to be. So your legs could NOT be symmetrically placed. That was WTF were they thinking #1. WTF #2 was cornering clearance. I'm glad they didn't look the bike over too close when we got back 'cause I had banged the holy hell out of the undercarriage trying to survive the first couple of corners. I'm a fairly big boy (240# plus riding gear) and I had my WHOLE body hung to the inside of those turns, which I had entered at maybe 3/4 of the speed I'd have carried through in the FJR - My gawd those things were low to the ground. Scrape and grind at only half again the posted speed (say 45 mph on a posted 35 corner).

If I had unlimited money and could figure out how to move that fricken' horn, a V-Rod or night Rod might make it as a 4th or 5th bike. Sweet cruising at up to 75 mph or so and good torque off the line. VERY pretty, too. Brakes were fair. Comfort was great for about a half hour, then my spine started talking to me. If I had to take a reasonably straight road a moderate distance repeatedly (say a commute to work where I didn't need to be able to dodge 3 or 4 asshats intent on killing me every day - yup, I could see it as a change of pace.

Compared to an FJR, the Rods lack agility (not even close), comfort (ergos can be modified on an FJR, didn't look into modifying the V-Rod - think you're pretty well stuck with that 'flying C' position), and acceleration (V-Rod does okay, FJR makes you grin). V-Rods probably win on fuel economy and definitely on second looks from the fairer sex.

I did let one coworker ride the FJR. He said for cruising, it was the closest he'd come to the comfort of his Dyna low (he's got short legs - I'd guess a 27 - 28 inch inseam). When I asked him if he'd wicked it up, he said yeah, I wound it up to like 5,000 RPM - it felt fast! (FYI, FJR comes alive at about 5K, then it hits a long, strong, smooth power band to 9K). He'd also left the windshield down and then said his Dyna had better wind protection. Sigh. Oh well, given the amount of aftermarket crap he's bolted onto his $24K cruiser (as of his last estimate, not counting interest on the 6-year payment plan), he's probably happier on an HD.

Thanks guys, these replies are confirming what I read.
If we were just voting on looks and the quatity of attention, the Vrod would win. It a group ride of all other types of bikes, the Vrod always rx's the most attention. Anyway, looks is nice and the FJR has looks, but it seems to win in performance.

Rob, would you say the FJR suspension is far superior or a bit better than the V-Rod?
I think the FJR does have the better suspension. The Vrod was a nice all round ride when taken as a package but the FJR I feel is still the better bike for my needs. Although as a second bike ... Yes I would ride a Vrod. (I'd move the pegs though).

I suppose I have some experience with this one. I have 24k on my V-Rod and 22k on the 05 FJR. The 2 bikes are apples and oranges. I ride the V-Rod from Virginia to Kansas City each year, so I can speak to touring on it. I have ridden the Dragon on both bikes. Hands down the FJR is the more practical and useable motorcycle. Power, fuel mileage, suspension, costs, handling, brakes, you name it, the FJR is technically a better motorcycle. I am not a "Harley" fan, but..... I have to admit that the V-Rod draws a crowd at the gas station or anytime I'm stopped. The engine has "character" and is indestructable in it's stock format. Everyone wants to know if it's one of those "new" Harleys, how much does it cost, how fast is it...... I am invisible on the FJR. It's a beautiful bike, but few people notice.

So, if you can put up with poor dealerships, poor gas mileage, poor wind protection, HD=$100 parts, so, so handling, but want to answer a lot of questions at the gas station, go with the V-Rod. In all fairness, the bike has a lot of character.

If you want a powerful smooth sport touring bike... it would be tough to beat the FJR. ;)

Thanks FJRChip. Very, very helpful and I can attest to the "gas station" and resturant crowd! But, we want more than good looks in a bike (she, my GF, has that covered); so, we might say goodbye Vrod; hello FJR.

I don't have near the experience as some of the guys above, but I have ridden a V-Rod about 30 miles. They are so different it is hard to compare them. To me, you are comfortable on one or the other - but not both. Just too different. I did not like the V-Rod at all (but I do love the looks of it!). And the 100 mile range is pathetic.

Like one of the guys above said, the FJR fits me like a glove. I did take a few years off, but have been riding since 1971, and have ridden many, many miles, and have some road racing experience back "in the day". I've ridden the FJR on two long trips - 2900 miles in 8 days to the Smokies two years ago, and 3800 miles in 8 days to the Rockies last year. This year it's back to the Smokies. Every single morning I was ready to get back on the FJR and spend the whole day on it again.

Guess which bike I vote for?

My v-rod owning neighbor can't keep up with me in the twisties, the straights or anywhere else. Could be the v-rod rider though.

eh.

Jim,

We are both Vette owners; mine is the 03 Z06. Brings a sun grin every time I start her. I like your 08 interior.

To be fair to Vrod, 2-up at 70mph, we get 42 mpg, if not too hard on the on/off throttle. In 04 or 05, HD went to the 5 gallon tank (under the seat, for low center of gravity).

On your long trips, do you use the stock seat?

These personal stories are sure helpful in making the plunge since I don't plan to keep both bikes. I have too many dirt bikes as it is.

Scott

Probably not a lot of help here but I looked at V-Rods and rode a few before getting my FJR. I love the looks of the V-Rod and it does go fast too. Depends on what you are getting a bike for. If you want a cool bike for tooling around town and short trips, the V-Rod would be fun. If you want a bike for speed, handling and all day comfort, you can't beat the FJR.

If I could have two bikes, the V-Rod would be on my short list.

First the SPortster, and now the V-Rod? Admittedly, the V-Rod is a leap forward--for Harley.

Maybe . . and only maybe . . if Buell comes out with a sport tourer, then you might consider comparing the two.

But Harley has NOTHING in the catalog that comes close.

The obvious comparisons are the sport tourers: ST1300, The Concourse 1400, then there's less obvious ones are like the Triumph Sprint and Tiger and Honda VFR with bags . . . but a Harley?

Please.

It's insulting to the FJR.

one thing to consider is foot/control position. even if everything else was equal, would you want a riding position that pulled you away from your controls under hard acceleration?

H-D does/(did?) offer the 'Street Rod' version of the V-Rod -- which had a way more rational footpeg/controls placement.

It also (sort'a?) compares with the FJR in weight/performance/price, etc. (maybe?).

Did anyone catch the 'Pinks" episode on "SPEED" where a V-Rod raced a 25-year-old, several hundred dollar (purchase price), Suzuki GS UJM street-bike? The H-D had a 'hired-gun' rider in full leathers -- the Suzuki, just the owner (just a guy w/jacket & helmet). I'm sure y'all know who won? Lot's of excuses in the Harley camp..... :rolleyes:

All good comments. Helpful bunch of guys (maybe gals) at this forum! Planning on buying/making offers today.

BTW, I had a 05 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 prior to the V-Rod. V-Strom was OK, seemed top heavy, OK corners, but looks was lacking, good wind shield, just not exciting. V-rod is diffently stronger and way better looking.

Anyway, this may be off topic, but any knowledgible comparisons between the V-strom and FJR? Wind protection, flickability, cornering....

Jim,
We are both Vette owners; mine is the 03 Z06. Brings a sun grin every time I start her. I like your 08 interior.

To be fair to Vrod, 2-up at 70mph, we get 42 mpg, if not too hard on the on/off throttle. In 04 or 05, HD went to the 5 gallon tank (under the seat, for low center of gravity).

On your long trips, do you use the stock seat?

These personal stories are sure helpful in making the plunge since I don't plan to keep both bikes. I have too many dirt bikes as it is.

Scott
Scott - I love the 08 Vette, but there are an awful lot of loyal C5 Z06 owners. That car is one of the most fun Corvettes ever made. It feels more like a track car than any other. Are you on the Corvetteforum.com? I'm over there all the time

I do still have the stock seat on my FJR. I've been pleasantly surprised at how well I hold up on it. I was prepared to replace if for my trips, but there are so many different opinions on which seat to buy that I stayed stock and have not regretted it.

VRod vs FJR

I've owned the VRod and now own an 08 FJR. The comparision is no comparison in my book. They are two entirely different bikes. You sit cruiser style on the Vrod and standard position on the FJR. Being 50, you have some back trouble already. If you do, your back will thank you on the FJR.

The FJR will get better gas mileage, be almost as fast if not as fast, the fairing is better, the price is better, the ride is better, more storage, take the twisties better and do you want me to stop here or just keep going?

I recently rode an 08 Vrod with forward controls which doesn't fit over 50 people well. I rode the 08 Vrod with controls under your feet and it was much better. But on a scale of 1-10 with 10 best, the Vrod would be a 3 and the FJR a 9.

Do I even have to mention Vtwin vs an inline four?

I believe you would absolutely love the FJR over the Vrod. The above is just my impression. I had to sell the Vrod because of my back problems but the positives of the FJR were even more than I had hoped for.

Good luck in your decision.