FJR vs. "patches of ice", snow?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I chicken out if there's any snow.

Click on image for larger view

Trouble is, you need some friction between tyres and road in order to stay upright. While a lot of the time there is some in snowy conditions, occasionally you will find a bit where there is none.

The worst is where snow has compacted into ice, and it's just melting. Get more than a yard or so of that, and I guarantee you will go down unless your outrigger legs are very strong. Of course, when you try to pick it up, your feet will have no grip either. And, the next car to come along won't be able to stop, you won't be able to get out of its way.

it's all about the tires...might get a set of these if next winter will be like this one...

I have a driveway similar to Pepperals. I tried to take the XR out on snow pack. NOT! Dumped it both times. Pushed it back into the garage and called it a day. Ice and motorcycles do not mix.

Dave

Now I'm curious what mcatrophy was searching for when he came across this 5 year old thread on snow/ice! ;)

Perhaps looking to commiserate with others and their snow/ice riding excursions?

Now I'm curious what mcatrophy was searching for when he came across this 5 year old thread on snow/ice! ;)
Perhaps looking to commiserate with others and their snow/ice riding excursions?
Referenced to in this post. For some reason I thought it was current. Still relevant, though.
At my age, anything in the last ten years is current.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past Nov., It wasn't snowing but it was cold enough ~27F. Hit one of those big yellow epoxy painted turn arrows (while in a turn), almost low sided, ground sumtin down there before I balanced her-out and back upright. Got home and came to the realization of this is why I have snowmobiles, dumb ass!

Last edited by a moderator: