FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zilla you da man!!!! Tony quit trying to dnf before WC throws the green!! Enjoy all and be safe

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that final drive issue. I ended up rebuilding it for low and silent a few weeks later. This place is amazing.
punk.gif

I met Tony in the parking lot this morning and he was a little stressed by the broken frame and not sure that he was going to able to start. I told him get his issue posted on the FJR forum asap and this community would have him fixed up in no time. I had to leave to get a tire change and then come back to find out that he is already at a welding shop. You guys are amazing. If you recall I had a leaking rear drive just prior to the 2011 IBR start. A post of the FJR forum and LowandSilent bailed me out by swapping my bad drive with his. The FJR community ROCKS!
punk.gif

Another Eric on an FJR.

I'm not a frequent poster here, but I am in the 2015 IBR. I'm a rookie, first time entered.

I'm from Syracuse, NY. I had my motorcycle shipped to a Yamaha dealer in Albuquerque and I'll be flying out in a few hours to get ready for my ride.

I'll be riding a 2014 ES model shown below.

Bike is equipped with:

Mike Langford auxiliary fuel tank with a pelican case on top

MCL triple clamp

Russell heated seat

Clearview shield

Girauld's drinking system (both sides)

Givi tanklock tank bag

Two Zumo 665's with a GXM40 antenna for XM radio, navigation weather and traffic.

SPOT

Clearwater Erica and Darla auxiliary lights

I am on a new set of Michelin PR4's and plan to change tires and fluids in Albuquerque at the end of the rally before I ride home.

Also Shoei GT Air with a pair of Sena 20S units to get my radio, NAV directions, and use the phone.

004_zpstsl0pjyc.jpg

HRZ/Tony - by any chance did you have the welder weld some gussets on each side between the mirror tab and the front stay while he was in there? I had that done on my '05 and I'm tellin ya - it was strong. Wish I would have checked in this thread earlier today to suggest that, but was too busy with other stuff. Regardless, if Tony's back in the game, I guess it doesn't matter.

You guys are all right!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will this be the first Gen 3 running in the IBR? Good luck - the Gen 1 guys will be all upset when you make it to the podium!!!

Friday evening and good news for the folks in ABQ....Jim Owen is in the house...according to his FB page! He rolled in about noon, bike serviced, and ready for his 5th time running the IBR.

I see other FJR riders in town and think others will be rolling in the morning.

Tomorrow things get a little more serious when Warchild and his staff start poking, prodding, paperwork checking, and phonically checking the non-stock exhausts.

Well, the mini tech day at my house is officially over. Tony and Dajuice are maintained, rolling new rubber, and ready for the ride. Unfortunately, I didn't think to get any pictures so there are none. Actually, DaJuice got a picture, and I'm glad someone was here to witness it. Holy crap!!

I'll roll by tomorrow just to see the circus.

Well, the mini tech day at my house is officially over. Tony and Dajuice are maintained, rolling new rubber, and ready for the ride. Unfortunately, I didn't think to get any pictures so there are none. Actually, DaJuice got a picture, and I'm glad someone was here to witness it. Holy crap!!
I'll roll by tomorrow just to see the circus.
Kudos to you AJ! I can testify that having a garage near the starting line to do tires, service, and repairs is an absolute oasis to riders. Smitty hosted myself and others in 2007 and 2009 and I hosted DaJuice and 5 others in 2011. A host knowledgeable in the ways of the wrenching arts along with the IBR concept is FAR better than a dealer in my humble opinion. :clap:

HRZ/Tony - by any chance did you have the welder weld some gussets on each side between the mirror tab and the front stay while he was in there? I had that done on my '05 and I'm tellin ya - it was strong. Wish I would have checked in this thread earlier today to suggest that, but was too busy with other stuff. Regardless, if Tony's back in the game, I guess it doesn't matter.
You guys are all right!
Pants, he did that some, but not as much as he wanted to. He was afraid of balling up his wire and having a red hot ball of metal falling and burning through something. When he was done, James was sure his weld would last beyond the lifetime of the bike. He was pretty skilled, so I don't think Tony has any reason to worry, which is a good thing.

Thanks for keeping us all updated Matt! Looking forward to the next update!

Saturday morning- riders will be queuing up for the multiple mandatory items to be completed before they are checked in and can <relax>.

Good luck with tech, take time to nap. If IBR staff follows past patterns, the rally begins when bonus listings are handed out at Sunday evenings dinner. Get some extra down time today, tomorrow night will be when the sleep management begins.

GO FJR!!

And Go Jim O ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.