FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed down to breakfast so I have plenty of energy to terrorize riders when we start Tech Inspection at 8am. Heh.
weirdsmiley.gif

For the last few months I've been going through phases: One day I'm heartbroken to not be riding for the first time since 2009. The next I'm gripped by panic, thinking about all the incredible competitors and all the stuff I want to do to my bike, until I remember I'm not riding. These last few days I've been pretty solidly satisfied with spectating. First, there's this:

HOT.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm lounging in the pool with my cool new baby
tonguesmiley.gif

Second, we've been swamped at the shop with riders, volunteers & spectators getting work done right before heading to ABQ. I try to have all of my feces in one foot cover a few weeks ahead of time, so the though of getting important stuff done when I'm single-digit days ahead of the start is enough to make me queasy. I'm honored to be entrusted with last minute services, and I'm equally glad I'm not performing them on my own bike before steaming across the molten Mojave. I like to be relaxing at the starting line by the Thursday before, not plumbing in a fuel cell at home. Then there is IBPete... He's set the bar for "down to the wire" to a new high - I hope like hell he's NM bound right now!

Third is the line-up. This year looks to me like a spectator's dream and a competitor's nightmare! The full rider list hasn't been released yet, and already it seems that we're looking at a rather stunning "who's who" of rally riding. When I threw my name in the ring for 2015, before we knew Ms. Montessa was on her way, I was mulling over whether my next IBR would be a leisurely sightseeing tour or a legitimate attempt to best my previous podium finish. That question would have been answered for me as soon as the names started swirling about. A top ten finish this year is going to be a huge claim to fame, say nothing of making it to the podium. I've lost sleep at the prospect of being on the 2015 starting line, so I can't imagine how our intrepid rally riders are feeling right about now.

So now the true countdown has begun. Bikes are being inspected, corrections are being mandated, frantic trips are being made around Albuquerque trying to scrounge up that one important thing that was forgotten at home or failed on the ride in. This is it. Take a deep breath...

They won't release a list of names with their SPOT numbers for privacy/plausible deniability reasons. On that note, we probably don't want to divulge or speculate on the list about the rider's SPOT numbers to help maintain their privacy. We should be seeing the rider list before too long.
^^ What she said. Just when you think you've figured out who your buddies number is.....WHAM....it's changed.

I can understand why this is done. Fear of outside help influencing final outcome. But I tend to think that it would be difficult for most riders to alter their routes. But then again, those who finish near the top probably know all the GPS tricks to alter routes on-the-fly.

This is going to be an exciting rally for us spectators.

This is the 1st time I have been RETIRED (WooHoo!) during the rally. Unlimited time spent with maps, forums, facebook pages &c &c &c! I'm thinking it would be fun to ride to ABQ for the finish, too!
smile.png

Dave

Where can we find a list of the riders and their SPOT numbers?
And it's probably a good time to remind folks that the IBR is FOR the riders. There are some things spectators including me, other past riders, and even staff members won't know because the IBR is not for us. We're all fortunate to get get as much information as we do.

As pointed out they will scramble numbers on a regular basis, by design, and that page should be used as an aggregate to show where the majority of the field is at, maybe headed too, and is entertaining to speculate which is which!
smile.png

In fact, it's not even a requirement for riders to be on that page...a few riders will choose deliberately to not be included.

What we will have are the daily dispatches, results with names after each leg, a copy of the packet a day or two after each leg is over, and what will be unique to this forum .....educated speculation from a gaggle of past riders. Enjoy the show!
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of the social media persuasion...some excellent photos of the ritual known as "tech inspection" at the IB Magazine page including this series.

What you see in that series are three interesting things I can spot:

1) A test for non-stock exhausts that measure decibels at a specific distance behind and off to the side of the an exhaust while the throttled is held at a specific RPM. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but recollection is it's anything over 100-and-fuckin'-too-loud-to-anybody-that-doesn't-have-major-hearing-loss decibels. Those that fail this test get to go buy new exhaust systems before they depart Monday. And while the sample size of 1 from FB is not large and I may wonder if the brand of motorcycle has any bearing on whether the rider receives any special scrutiny by staff.....I do know that staff ask to have them fire up their bike and look for DOT stamps.
smile.png

2015-06-27_14-42-16.jpg

(picture from IB

2) Various pictures of laptops, digital read-outs, and a red fuel can. This means they're measuring a cell that hasn't been previously measured before, tape dimension on the outside put it close to the limits of (stock fuel tank rating + auxiliary tank <= 11.50 gallons). They use a series of scales, a hydrometer, I believe even temperature, and can measure capacity to 1/100th of a gallon. It looks like he has a little spreadsheet to speed up the calculations. Those that exceed the limit get to throw them self on the mercy of organizers and, perhaps, use a fuel displacement device to get under capacity. Previous mercy-receivers have used Snapple bottles (when the opening was large enough to fit one in), cans of dog food, and 11 pounds of steel chain (a poor rider in 2011 I inspected) and sound like a Scooby Doo cartoon ghost at each stop light.

3) Something that resembles a light saber that's been split open on the side. On further inspection, I think it's some sort of retractable rally flag holder....maybe like a projector screen on a reel?

4) Evidence that our friends from the Great White North are in the hooooose, eh!

2015-06-27_14-39-46.jpg

Also, look at Bob Rippy's blog for some event pictures.

Another Eric on an FJR.
I'm not a frequent poster here, but I am in the 2015 IBR. I'm a rookie, first time entered.

I'll be riding a 2014 ES model shown below.

Bike is equipped with:

Mike Langford auxiliary fuel tank with a pelican case on top

004_zpstsl0pjyc.jpg
A Facebook posts says that his fuel cell was measured and came up to 4.63 gallons. That's 0.27 under the limit...plenty of room to spare. :)

Had a rider come over this morning to change oil. Bike temp came up and he realized his coolant tank was empty. He found a loose clamp right near the tank and we tightened it up and cleaned it. We filled the tank and fired it up. Didn't see any more seepage, which is good.

He sent me a message a few minutes ago that his bike is 2 bars cooler and the tank is down only 1/4 inch. Glad he caught that and we fixed it.

I need a picture to put with this face!! Who is HRZ???? Above and beyond hospitality!!!!
Oh I am sure BeemerDons could provide a "suitable" pic of 'Zilla. lol

But yes he has been an oasis of good fortune for several riders for this rally. He is Da Man fer sure,

I float through here from time to time, I loiter here during the Rally. You community is an awesome group. If I can be of assistance to any rider if needed. WE are east of Wichita KS and have a trailer , WE have a place to sleep or wrench. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am Harley inclined but have a friend that is an FJR guy.

I LOVE THIS SITE AND COMMUNITY PLEASE NOTIFY WHEREA DONATION CAN BE SENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.